Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

The recent image ^^ has gone into the trending section on Facebook.

I've just sat reading quite literally, thousands, of comments on Comic Book News, Entertainment Weekly, The Wrap, Huff Post, Bloody-Disgusting and so on etc etc...

Every one of them is negative. I haven't spotted a single positive comment for this movie on any of the sites.

Looks like the populous has spoken already.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The recent image ^^ has gone into the trending section on Facebook.

I've just sat reading quite literally, thousands, of comments on Comic Book News, Entertainment Weekly, The Wrap, Huff Post, Bloody-Disgusting and so on etc etc...

Every one of them is negative. I haven't spotted a single positive comment for this movie on any of the sites.

Looks like the populous has spoken already.
The internet is not the populous. More often than not, the internet is sad little men who find women vaguely threatening. The level of misogyny in most comments is frightening. The gist is, "this is gonna suck cause they're women, and because Melissa McCarthy is fat."

I have read a few good points, that this didn't need to be made, that cashing in on nostalgia is a lazy, cheap way to get butts in seats, that remaking a film that entirely hinged on the original cast's established personalities and comedic chemistry is probably destined to fail, and okay, I can be down with that. I'm waiting to see a trailer, refusing to out right hate something I've never seen one frame of. I actually sort of like that the costumes and the tech we've seen so far look cheap and DIY. It probably makes a lot of sense in the movie. Hell, where did the original Ghostbusters get the money to build all the high tech stuff that they had when they were dead broke for the opening of the movie? I don't know. I will say that the cast looks alright, I love what Kate McKinnon is doing with her look, it's really cool. I really hope that this flick makes the haters shut up. I'm actually rooting for it now.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm not being misogynistic... I'm being hateful to the movie because it's a bad idea, badly executed. I mean, there's rumours of an ExpendaBelles movie, and I actually like the idea... being accused of misogyny is kinda insulting.

But, hey, I complain about a classic comedy movie being remade, and yes I throw in some fat jokes toward a "comedy actress" (who can't act and isn't funny), and you immediately accuse me of misogyny... but, whatever

Tell you what... how about, a remake of Jaws. Sex Lifting the cast or not, how about a Jaws remake.
Or a remake of Blade Runner. Casablanca even. Or Saving Private Ryan for that matter.

This movie is not just a sexist, politically incorrect and also politically correct pile of bulls**t... it also looks gimmicky, cheap, tacky and lazy: Misogynist my ass... it is a remake of Ghostbusters, casting choices aside and forgetting my sexist/fat jokes, it is a Ghostbusters remake... I'll hate on it all I like.

Oh, and the real Ghostbusters got their cash for their equipment... from taking out a second mortgage on Ray's Parent's house.

The internet is not the populous. More often than not, the internet is sad little men who find women vaguely threatening. The level of misogyny in most comments is frightening. The gist is, "this is gonna suck cause they're women, and because Melissa McCarthy is fat."
It's not misogyny. There may be some misogynists amongst those people, but their opinions about how it's going to suck because it's all women and not men is completely okay to say. Seriously -- if people can't say, "The new Ghostbusters is going to suck because it's all women" -- there's something very wrong here. Women should not be given first class status, nor second class, but on equal footing with men. That means they should take the criticism just as much as men can. You are acting like we should bow down to the all female Ghostbusters and treat it like gold JUST because women are the stars. That's how it comes across when people say, "STOP criticizing the movie already just because women are in it!!!!" You're treating women like they're special.

If Adam Sandler and a bunch of stupid guys were playing the new Ghostbusters, and people were criticizing them already -- NOBODY would be going, "STOP criticizing the movie already just because Adam Sandler is in it!!!!"

This is why it's irritating to see people like you telling everybody to stop complaining because it's an all female cast. There's a legitimate reason to complain, whether you like it or not.

SC is exactly right.

A movie with a few guys in it doesn't go down well, it's because the movie is total garbage.
A movie with a few women in it doesn't go down well, and people are accused of misogyny.

Paul Feeb works primarily with women, casting women in lead roles and putting men into background roles, for instance Hemsworth as the Receptionist. He does the exact opposite of filmmakers who are constantly accused of Misogyny.
Right now, right here on MoFo, I am accusing Paul Feeb of Misandry.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Listen. I DID NOT accuse The Rodent nor Sexy Celebrity of being misogynists. I merely pointed out that a rather large subsection of the comments online are in fact shockingly misogynistic. Not at all the same thing. There is nothing wrong with saying you're upset that the film has replaced it's original cast with a female one, it's HOW you say it that does matter. I have never said that the film is going to be great, I've said I'd reserve judgement, and I won't hate it just because it stars "fat women." Do not put words in my mouth.

If they remade other classic movies, I would not go see them. I also wouldn't go on a ridiculous tirade for months every time it was mentioned. Yes, I know it's not ridiculous, those uppity bitches are trying to steal man property. I get it. SIGH.

I'm actually sorry I stepped into this.

Listen. I DID NOT accuse The Rodent nor Sexy Celebrity of being misogynists. I merely pointed out that a rather large subsection of the comments online are in fact shockingly misogynistic. Not at all the same thing. There is nothing wrong with saying you're upset that the film has replaced it's original cast with a female one, it's HOW you say it that does matter. I have never said that the film is going to be great, I've said I'd reserve judgement, and I won't hate it just because it stars "fat women." Do not put words in my mouth.

If they remade other classic movies, I would not go see them. I also wouldn't go on a ridiculous tirade for months every time it was mentioned. Yes, I know it's not ridiculous, those uppity bitches are trying to steal man property. I get it. SIGH.

Ok, cool... I got the impression you were calling me that so I stood my ground.

No hard feelings.

Ditto...I'm unsubscribing from this thread and not posting in this thread anymore... the only response after I post mostly comes from Rodent. And it's all his nonsense.

Listen. I DID NOT accuse The Rodent nor Sexy Celebrity of being misogynists.
I'm not saying you did. I didn't take it that way.

I merely pointed out that a rather large subsection of the comments online are in fact shockingly misogynistic. Not at all the same thing. There is nothing wrong with saying you're upset that the film has replaced it's original cast with a female one, it's HOW you say it that does matter. I have never said that the film is going to be great, I've said I'd reserve judgement, and I won't hate it just because it stars "fat women." Do not put words in my mouth.
Well, I don't know about these other comments you saw. I didn't see them. However, I don't think Rodent's jokes, even if they are fat jokes, are misogynist. Not saying you called him that, but, I just don't think making jokes about fat women is misogynist. To me, they're just fat jokes. You can make fun of fat men, too.

I'm not a fan of remakes at all. This particular remake/sequel I am especially not excited about.

If Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Rick Moranis, Ernie Hudson, and the ghost of Harold Ramis had returned, then it would have peaked my interest, but replacing them with other actors, male or female for that matter...nah, I'll pass

Just popping in here again because I found this kind of interesting....

It has been reported by Indie Revolver (via The Wrap) that Dan Aykroyd will play a cab driver who shares a scene with Kristen Wiig. The original Ghostbusters star will apparently drop the famous line "I ain't afraid of no ghosts".

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I don't mind the fact that it's with all women. I just wished they'd cast a funny woman other than Leslie Jones (who, even then, is only funny in short bursts)