Sane's Top 133 Favourite Films

→ in
Tools    

I love A Woman Under the Influence!

Grave of the Fireflies bored me so much I almost couldn't get through it. And I actually didn't care enough to finish The Graduate.

Your list is so great though Sane! There's so many movies that I haven't seen that look incredibly interesting.

Sorry for my bad English :p
i love the last two , nights of cabiria is my favorite fellini from the four i've seen
rear window is one of my favorite hitchcock movies not in the best three thought ( vertigo , psycho , dial M for murder )

+ i really loved grave of fireflies , its my favorite animation ever , and me too this movie has left me with a hollow feeling for days after watching it. :'(

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I was seriously thinking about nominating DitD for the now aborted Musical HoF. I think some people may never have forgiven me
If it didn't get aborted and everyone got to watch your nomination:

GBG's reaction = pure gold.
Now you've piqued my curiosity. I'm gonna have to find this movie.

I found the movie and watched it, but you'll have to read my logbook to read my review. (I don't think it's as "pure gold" as you expected. )

13. Once Were Warriors (1994) - Lee Tamahori

New Zealand Drama
A brutal movie about a Maori family dealing with anger and alcoholism. The performances are all fantastic and incredibly realistic and the film doesn't take any shortcuts to find easy answers. It is uncompromising in terms of presenting the situation as it is and asks very difficult questions - the name itself is looking internally rather than externally for where to lay blame. It's a shame that Tamahori went on to become such a bad Hollywood director because what he did here was amazing.

12. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ,,, and Spring (2003) - Kim Ki Duk

South Korean Drama
Probably the most beautiful movie I have seen - both visually and tonally. It is essentially the circle of life - Buddhist style - set on a monastery floating in the middle of a lake. The seasons represent different times in a mans life. Some of the scenes are incredibly beautiful and the Buddhist symbolism gives the film a lot of depth and makes for a lot of rewatch value - I've seen it about 10 times and have picked up something new on each watch. It seems like Kim has gone back to his angry, violent filmmaking in the last few years - I wish he would do more thoughtful work because he's great at it.

11. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Stanley Kubrick

American Science Fiction
A masterpiece of visual story telling. There is so much going on and yet so little dialogue which leaves many things open to interpretation - which is something that I generally love. Interestingly this is one of the few films where there were many unanswered questions but I had no desire to find answers - not knowing feels like the point of the film to an extent and leaving parts of it unclear seems to make the experience better. Also, I have to mention the use of music - perhaps the best ever?

The first time I watched 2001 I was bored, the second time I thought it was OK. Then I rewatched it as the last thing I did before sending my 60s list and loved it. While its not really close to being my favourite I think it has a good claim for being the best film ever made. Truly stunning.

Master of My Domain
SSAW and S should be in your Top 10. Truly stunning film. It always reminds me why I like simplicity in movies so much.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a film that people should watch over and over again until they get it.

Once Were Warriors is definitely great. Masterful realism and very raw.

Spring, Summer..... was really good, and you saying that rewatches work amazing makes me reconsider given it another go. But back when I first watched it, I found it too preachy and too direct in many of its messages, but I guess a whole lot must've flown over my head then.

2001 doesn't need any comments. Masterpiece.

Love Reae Window and Once Were Warriors, the former I'll be seeing again for the 50's list.

Nights of Cabiria was just decent for me, but it's one I've had an urge to watch again for a while, and I will.

I'm not a 2001 fan, and I don't know if I'll ever be, but I'll try again.

10. A Separation (2011) - Asghar Farhadi

Iranian Drama
In my opinion there has never been a script that does a better job of building characters to the point that, regardless of who may be right or wrong, it is pretty much impossible for a person not to empathise with them ... and beyond that your opinion of each of the characters will change more than once throughout the film. Simply masterful writing by Farhadi - a writer/director who has already built a career that most directors would envy and yet he's only really just begun. He's only made six films but they are all excellent.