Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Watched two movies with Vincent Price, who's one of my favorite actors.
The first was The Bribe (1949). It stars Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Vincent Price (natch!), and the great Charles Laughton. Good, but not great noirish flick with undercover cop Taylor in Central America, trying to track down whoever is stealing plane engine parts. Everyone is good in their parts, but it's pretty easy to figure out who the bad guy is even before the revelation about halfway through the movie. It's a bit slow-moving, but always interesting. There is good action at the climax with a chase/shootout through a carnival-type fireworks celebration. The real interesting thing (at least for me) is that several scenes from this movie were used in the Steve Martin movie Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. In the Martin movie, there is also the clue "Friends of Carlota" that keeps coming up. In The Bribe, Carlota is the name of the island that Robert Taylor investigates. Now that I've seen this movie, the Steve Martin comedy will just be all the better.

The second Price movie was Champagne for Caesar (1950). Price, as usual until the 60's and 70's, got second or third billing, even if he had more screen time than certain actors. Here, it's third billing but he has a large role. The lineup is Ronald Colman, Celeste Holm, Vincent Price, Art Linkletter (a famous talk-show/game-show host from the 50's through the 70's in America), and Barbara Britton as Colman's sister. This is a hilarious movie where super-intellect Colman works his way onto to a quiz show hosted by Linkletter (NOT playing himself). He gets every question right all the time. But, he refuses the money, which continues to build up. This drives network owner Price crazy and he tries to sabotage Colman for fear of losing his station to him. It's really a kick seeing usually serious actors Colman and Price play it for laughs. Price especially takes the cake as the greedy, scheming studio boss. He's not really a bad guy, but he does do bad things. Is that a contradiction? And oh, by the way, Caesar is an alcoholic parrot that Colman and his sister own and who is voiced by Mel Blanc! Non-stop fun.

The Others (2001)

I'm not a big fan of ghost story horror movies anymore because they mostly all seem alike. This one felt a bit different though. I loved how it sets things up and moves slowly; it's hard to tell it's a horror movie at first. Nice performances and well done. I think it's one of the best movies of it's type.

Glad to hear yoy liked it despite of its ghostly subgenre!

Now how about that twist upon a twist? I really didn't see it coming. Maybe the first, but definitely not the second.

The Others (2001)

I'm not a big fan of ghost story horror movies anymore because they mostly all seem alike. This one felt a bit different though. I loved how it sets things up and moves slowly; it's hard to tell it's a horror movie at first. Nice performances and well done. I think it's one of the best movies of it's type.
I like how tension and insanity builds gradually.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Se7en (David Fincher, 1995)

(rewatch)

Probably Fincher's best film.
The soundtrack, the camera angles, the cinematography, the lightning, the ever raining decaying set... Everything works to create a thrilling atmosphere that alone makes of this film a suspense masterpiece.
Add to that a great script, amazing acting by Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and especially Kevin Spacey and a poetic and a cruel final twist and you have the reason why Fincher is one of the best directors of the moment.

Master of My Domain
Little Big Man (1970)

This is a great film, a great western, and a great satire. Should not be dismissed because of the cheesy poster. Dustin Hoffman, the Indian hatin' US calvary depicted as villains, a hidden anti-Vietnam message and Arthur Penn, a director I love is all I needed.

-

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Inside Out / Pixar

Amazing. Brilliant. Tears just flowed.

Seriously, these guys at Pixar blow me away. This film was beyond amazing. Smart. Funny.

5/5

(don't remember how to do popcorn or even post pics, lol. old age, I guess…)

Little Big Man (1970)

This is a great film, a great western, and a great satire. Should not be dismissed because of the cheesy poster. Dustin Hoffman, the Indian hatin' US calvary depicted as villains, a hidden anti-Vietnam message and Arthur Penn, a director I love is all I needed.

-
I love this movie and forgot how much till I re-watched most of it a few weeks ago on TV. So many great characters. Really funny movie. We are in good company, it's one of Markf's favorites.

Massacre at Central High (1976)

I thought this was a horror movie, but it's a high school revenge film. It does have a horror movie feel at times, but I thought it was closer to movies like Tuff Turf and The New Kids. It's fairly low budget, and the kids don't look young enough to be high school age, but I think that adds to it's charm. One strange thing is that there are no adults in the movie; no teachers, no parents, no police, none at all. It's cheesy and I enjoyed it.

Hate88 10/10

A really weird and unbalanced bond, with a hint of blaxploitation and a squint of campiness. Fun at times, but also a little silly and rather messy thrown together.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
^ I remember it had some wacky voodoo stuff going on. Pretty cool Bond.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Others (2001)

glad you like it Crick' !! That twist-ending tho man one of the best in my opinion

I really liked The Others. Personally the twist has almost nothing to do with that though.
Same. I already knew the twist when I saw it so that is certainly not what made it so good, at least for me.

I really liked The Others. Personally the twist has almost nothing to do with that though.
for me the twist at the end cares a lot but it's only me... I'm certainly not the best cinephile here but movie like The Others , Identity , Secret Window are special for me mainly because of that unexpected finish.

for me the twist at the end cares a lot but it's only me... I'm certainly not the best cinephile here but movie like The Others , Identity , Secret Window are special for me mainly because of that unexpected finish.
Don't get me wrong the twist wasn't a bad thing. It just didn't effect my opinion on it positively or negatively.

You all who liked The Others need to watch other films directed by Alejandro Amenabar...he's films are very very good...