Horror movies that aged well

Tools    

Sorry for my bad English :p
what are the great horror movies that you think thay aged well , and didn't get ruined by the other movies that came after ?

some in my mind right now :

psycho
rosemary's baby
the thing

Ooh, interesting topic. So many of the '70s and '80s pictures feel so cheesy and corny today. I love some decent horror for sure! In addition to what you mentioned:
Vampyr
Nosferatu
Onibaba
Night of The Living Dead
Suspiria (maybe)
almost everything Cronenberg
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
Halloween (1978)
Psycho (1960)

Master of My Domain
Nobody mentioned The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Wow, I am ashamed of you MoFos. That film aged like fine wine.

Kazaam!

Nah seriously. I don't really have an answer to this question. To me The Exorcist is timeless, but a lot of people think it has not aged well. Obviously I disagree, still I can see where they are coming from.

Even if they are horribly wrong.

Edit: while its not close to being my favourite Horror film, Slobs pick of The Haunting fits this thread perfectly IMO.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I would say "Halloween" (1978) and "The Bride of Frankenstein".

"The Haunting", "The Uninvited", "Omen", "Rosemary's Baby", "The Exorcist" and a few others from the early years of Horror.

I loveeeee the original "Omen".. that movie can still get under my skin.

Sorry for my bad English :p
great choices everybody !
a lot of them i didn't watch yet , because i'm not really a big fan of horror until lately , and of corse a lot goes in my watchlist

I don't know if this is just me, but I always thought those kind of Italian pictures aged rather poorly. The whacky dubbing, horrible sound effects, aged synthesizer music, weird picture quality etc. make them a lot less accessible for me.
Don't get me wrong, I love the works of Argento, Bava, and others. I just think those qualities make them an acquired taste and a lot harder to watch. To watch most of those pictures, I have to be in the mood for some cheese.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
The Shining
Jaws
Psycho (AKA the movie that made me glad my house has a bathtub instead of a shower )

A system of cells interlinked
Jaws is still every bit as good today, but i consider it a thriller more so than horror.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre still goes over pretty well these days, IMO.

If I just look at prior to 1980:

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
The Omen (1976)
The Invasion of the Body-Snatchers.(1978)
Halloween (1978)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Psycho (1960)
Carrie (1976)
Alien (1979)

Also, keep in mind that a film that is stuck in time is not necessarily bad. In fact you are losing out on some of the greatest horror films ever made and that directly influenced the genre if you cut out those that are "dated". If you ever want to watch the roots of the modern horror film, look into films produced by Amicus Productions or Hammer Films Productions. These films have not aged well at all but can you beat Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee?

I think films like

Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Hunchback of Norte Dame (1923)
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
Dragonwyck (1946)

Still hold their value of horror...

if you want to go with foreign horror

The Phantom Carriage (1921)
Häxan (1922)
Faust (1926)

I generally find that I can enjoy horror films whether they age well or not. There's an obvious quality of corniness in those that don't age well, but there's also a certain kind of aesthetic pleasure in them too.

For instance, I don't think that Frankenstein, Night of the Living Dead, or The Evil Dead have aged all that well, but these are still classics in every sense.

Ones that have aged exceedingly well though and still scare, for me at least:
The Exorcist
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Vampyr

And although it might not be old enough to warrant it's inclusion, something like The Shining still works exceedingly well, of course.