Jurassic World

Tools    

Kudos to JW for not dipping into the 60s on RT, it is at a firm 70% and I am assuming that's where it is staying.

And someone of IMDB was trying to say Antman will be beating JW. HA, don't make me laugh. I like Marvel but still Antman beating a Jurassic Park movie seems a little far fetched to me.

Kudos to JW for not dipping into the 60s on RT, it is at a firm 70% and I am assuming that's where it is staying.

And someone of IMDB was trying to say Antman will be beating JW. HA, don't make me laugh. I like Marvel but still Antman beating a Jurassic Park movie seems a little far fetched to me.
That's actually possible if Antman turns out to be a good film. The Buzz on JW is alright. My facebook friends are saying they liked it, but it's not the kind of word of mouth something like Mad Max was getting.

Imagine Antman turns out to have the positive buzz of Guardians of the Galaxy. If Jurassic World drops off sharply (which it may), Antman could make more in the long run. Guardains of the Galaxy was still making million dollar weekends up to October 10th from an August first release date. Long legs on a film can change box office big time.

That said, that scenario has a lot of "ifs" in it. Especially Antman being as enjoyable and Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe if it had been directed by Edgar Wright...

I tend to think Ant Man just has a much lower ceiling, regardless of quality, than JW. Especially overseas. The films that do well worldwide are the big, splashy blockbusters. And the ones that don't are usually comedies--which Ant Man is apparently going to skew towards.

I tend to think Ant Man just has a much lower ceiling, regardless of quality, than JW. Especially overseas. The films that do well worldwide are the big, splashy blockbusters. And the ones that don't are usually comedies--which Ant Man is apparently going to skew towards.
You could say the same about Guardians of the Galaxy skewing comedy.

Also, Marvel has only gone up when it comes to box office. Don't get me wrong, I think Antman could be their worst performing film, but I highly doubt it. Even if it performs "poorly" it will probably land in the $500 million world wide gross (which Jurassic World would destroy).

Jurassic World roars to biggest global opening of all time:

Back in 1993, Jurassic Park became the first film ever to open to more than $50 million. Now, Jurassic World has brought us back to Isla Nublar and broken a few box office records of its own: Chris Pratt and the leaping lizards earned $511.8 million worldwide, becoming the first movie ever to make more than $500 million in a weekend.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Wow, thats incredible. If this keeps going it could take Avatar.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Wow, thats incredible. If this keeps going it could take Avatar.
Not a chance. I expect this to be very front loaded. It also helps that it opened everywhere at once. Avengers 2, for example, opened a week early in a lot of foreign markets so it couldn't stack its box office into one weekend.

Still impressive for a franchise that had a terrible third film 14 years ago.

That's horrible. It's apparently not even that good.

And I actually won't be surprised if the new Star Wars movie makes less money ... at least during its opening weekend... for some reason. Maybe because it's a December release.

And I actually won't be surprised if the new Star Wars movie makes less money ... at least during its opening weekend... for some reason. Maybe because it's a December release.

*cough*frozen*cough*
*cough*catchingfire*cough*
*cough*battleofthefivearmies*cough*

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""

Its excellent.

I'm suprised it did so well - I know Jurassic Park was big in the 90s but I didn't think there'd be that many people looking forward to a new Jurassic Park movie.

Neutral Milk Hotel
I personally thought it was great. One of the most worthy sequels I've ever seen. Made me feel like a kid again. I feel like some people are taking it too seriously.

Glad to see its doing well.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Jurassic World now holds the record for the biggest opening in movie history.

After the final numbers were tallied, the dinosaur thriller inched past The Avengers to become top dog on the all-time list, with a U.S. debut of $208.8 million. The superhero blockbuster was the previous record holder with a $207.4 million bow.

Source: Variety

Neutral Milk Hotel
Congratulations to Trevorrow and company!

I'm not a big superhero fan, so its nice to see dinosaurs rule the world yet again. Besides the way it was shot, this film has all the characteristics of a classic amblin film. Likeable characters, great music, awesome set pieces that stand out as unique from one another.

Maybe its just me, but the structure and comedic timing of this film make it feel like a 90s movie. So good and so happy it exceeded my expectations as well as others.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I saw this weekend and it was basically what I expected: a big, dumb dinosaur romp. The first one is much better as far as writing, performances, and atmosphere go but if all you want is lots of dinosaurs eating people then World certainly delivers.

Star Wars could be released in January or February and still be huge. I haven't check any schedules but any rival blockbusters will have to move or risk getting flattened.