Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Warrior (2011) - Gavin O'Connor

- Completely love that film. God knows how I hate the sport of MMA/UFC but this movie is just too da*m perfect if you want my opinion. The subject is one of the most important and it's also one of my favorite: Family and courage. Nothing is more important than your family and I know that for a fact. I cry during one scene and I also smile during all the ending which was awesome. Brilliant Job from Hardy, Edgerton and Holte for their three amazing performance. This is what I call the beauty of watching movie because this experience was truly marvelous.

Agree with every word Derek!

Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969)

From the top 100 Westerns list, but this is more of a comedy in a Western setting. Going back and watching the classics of the 60's, this is the type of movie that can easily get lost in the shuffle. For example, I watched The Battle of Algiers and one of The Human Condition movies yesterday. This movie just doesn't have the gravitas of films like that, but sometimes something a little lighter can be a very nice break if done right. This is a very likable, enjoyable movie with a very likable cast, headlined by James Garner. It is at times very funny, without getting silly, and it never gets too serious from the traditional Western aspect. I don't know of many comedic Westerns outside of Blazing Saddles and Maverick, but this certainly has to be one of the best. It's easy breezy entertainment for 90 minutes. Unfortunately, this movie won't get the audience it deserves on this forum. I think Mark and Holden probably like it, and that Citizen Rules and Mrs. Goodies probably would, if they haven't seen it already.

Above, the temporary sheriff, played by James Garner, wants his deputy, played by Jack Elam, to practice his shooting. The meanest outlaw in town, played by Bruce Dern, who can't escape his jail cell despite the fact it has no bars on the window, looks on.

Care for some gopher?
Serpico (USA/I, 1973, Sidney Lumet) -
+

A very good movie, though it took too much time in the beginning to get going. Al Pacino gives a great performance.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Not sure if I posted this yet, so I apologize if this is a repeat:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 9/10 - Great start to the series, but kind of funny how the movie is about a boy and magic, and never once does he actually use magic from his wand!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: 8/10 - Pretty good movie, only slightly less as good as the first film. Also, the Basilisk is one of the coolest movie monsters I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few!

Das finstere Tal aka The Dark Valley
(Austria, 2015)
Directed by Andreas Prochaska
6.75/10

A lone man comes to a town within the Austrian Alps. No one knows why he is there. He came to seek revenge from a family that runs the town.

WARNING: "a bit of the movie plot" spoilers below
The Brennan family has ran the town for decades and practiced the old medieval rite of "Prima Noctura". Many years before a young woman attempted to escape with her lover and hide within a remote inn after their wedding. The innkeeper's wife was a greedy woman and was paid deeply for the whereabouts of the young recently married couple. The new bride was raped and her husband was crucified. Now her son has came from America to seek revenge on the family that ruined his mother and forced her out of town, away from her own family. One by one, the Old Brennan's sons were killed off and now the younger man is face to face with the older man, only to learn that he was his father.

This had a feel of an American western and I truly loved it. It was well shot and the story did not lack for anything.

It was selected as the Austrian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 87th Academy Awards, but was not nominated.

San Andreas: I saw it on Thursday, and it was one intense thrill ride from beginning to end. Just don't watch it in RealD 3D. I tried watching it in that format, and it didn't feel like a 3D movie to me.

Dwayne Johnson was great as the lead hero.

The Face of Another (1966)

Sometimes creepy, sometimes disturbing, and always interesting story of a man with a burnt off face, who gets a new one. His personality throughout, and how it changes, is pretty fascinating. The performances are excellent and it's nicely filmed; I especially liked the stop motion shots. There's a seemingly unrelated side story, and while I liked that, I would've liked it more if it had a more direct connection to the main story.

Never Let Me Go 2010

Prompted to watch this film after seeing Ex Machina and wanting to explore more of Alex Garland's work. He wrote the screenplay. At first this film appeared to be a romance or drama, with a title like Never Let Me Go, its not hard to see why. I also wondered why Alex Garland's complex mind would choose to work on a film of that style. But very early on you learn all is not as it seems and this innocent appearing little movie is anything but.

It took a little while after it had finished to fully appreciate how good this film is because of its subtly. Haven't seen a film in some time that deals with the weight of mortality better.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969)

From the top 100 Westerns list, but this is more of a comedy in a Western setting. Going back and watching the classics of the 60's, this is the type of movie that can easily get lost in the shuffle. For example, I watched The Battle of Algiers and one of The Human Condition movies yesterday. This movie just doesn't have the gravitas of films like that, but sometimes something a little lighter can be a very nice break if done right. This is a very likable, enjoyable movie with a very likable cast, headlined by James Garner. It is at times very funny, without getting silly, and it never gets too serious from the traditional Western aspect. I don't know of many comedic Westerns outside of Blazing Saddles and Maverick, but this certainly has to be one of the best. It's easy breezy entertainment for 90 minutes. Unfortunately, this movie won't get the audience it deserves on this forum. I think Mark and Holden probably like it, and that Citizen Rules and Mrs. Goodies probably would, if they haven't seen it already.

Above, the temporary sheriff, played by James Garner, wants his deputy, played by Jack Elam, to practice his shooting. The meanest outlaw in town, played by Bruce Dern, who can't escape his jail cell despite the fact it has no bars on the window, looks on.

I've seen both Support Your Local Sheriff! and Support Your Local Gunfighter, and I liked both movies. I rated them in my logbook thread back in April.

Support Your Local Sheriff!
http://www.movieforums.com/community...42#post1281742

Support Your Local Gunfighter
http://www.movieforums.com/community...44#post1281744

Last Year At Marienbad

Very hard not to be impressed with this film from a technical standpoint. The B&W cinematography is stunning. The hotel and garden are beautiful to look at. The camera movements are mesmerizing. I really didn't think I would end up drawn in to the narrative at all but it is a rather poetic film. I do need to have more character in my characters to have any kind of emotional response but it is not that kind of movie so that is fine. I am not afraid to admit that besides the obvious narrative of forbidden love I did not glean anything else in the way of themes. I thought the organ score would grate on me at first but I actually ended up liking quite a bit. I wanted to see more of the card/match stick game. I don't know what it meant, but I liked watching it. I expected the main character to beat the husband towards the end but that didn't happen. Again, not that kind of movie.

No Country For Old Men (2007) - Coen's Brothers

- My 2nd favorite movie from The Coen's and also one hell of a great ride. Entertaining, Nice atmosphere and brilliant casting. Bardem is one of my favorite vilain and it's by far his best performance to date. The ending is awesome and highly recommended flick.

-

Mad Max fury road 9/10

Unregistered User

The Servant (1963)

A psychological drama that was much darker and more sinister than I expected. Dirk Bogarde, who was excellent, stars as a servant recently employed by playboy Tony, James Fox, and we watch as the manservant's intentions become distrubingly clearer.

I did enjoy this and would recommend watching for the 60's list but it was quite slow in parts -
+

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
The Human Bullet
Kihachi Okamoto - 1968

A brilliant commentary of the absurdities of war culture and blind patriotism and the tone is absolutely perfect, balancing comedy and drama with ease and a lighthearted feel that doesn't go as far as to undermine the dire situation. Fun dialog, pleasant score and a fantastic main character also help make "The Human Bullet" a new favourite.

The Incident (1967)

The movie opens with two young thugs raising hell in the streets one night, and they end up beating and robbing an older man. They wind up on the subway where they terrorize a car full of passengers. I enjoyed this more than I rated it as it's the kind of movie I go for, but there were issues with it that I just can't overlook. It's filmed with a low budget quality, which is good because it adds a gritty realism, but the sound quality was poor. My next issue was the character introduction/development of the innocent passengers. It shows each of them in the minutes before boarding the train; I like that, but it went on too long. My main issue was that I just didn't buy into "the incident". The two guys terrorizing the passengers are not carrying guns; one of them is carrying a knife, but he doesn't pull it until there's about five minutes left in the movie. I didn't believe for a second that about 15 passengers, including some guys who are as tough or tougher than the bad guys, would allow this to go on for so long without fighting back. I just did not buy it. I think the movie was trying to send a message about how some people have a lack of empathy towards others, and I think with that it succeeded. It's got a pretty decent cast with Martin Sheen, Beau Bridges, Brock Peters, Thelma Ritter, Tony Musante, Donna Reed, Ruby Dee, and Ed McMahon.

Care for some gopher?
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (USA, 1997, Steven Spielberg) -

Phew, i happend to like this movie. But this time... boy, the script is terrible! Almost as terrible as the one from MiB II. Everything that happens, happens out of convinience. Not much logic in here. The ending is cool, though.