Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Kes (1969)

From the top 100 British Film's list is an endearing, yet bleak story of an awkward teen growing up in a working class city. He is picked on at home and at school, and has little hope for his future. Things take a turn for the better as he takes in and starts to train a young bird, and a teacher takes a liking to him. This is a very good movie; filmed expertly, with terrific performances.

Find your frequency.
Contact (1997) - Robert Zemeckis

Matthew McConaughey was as hunky as ever and showed his religious side. Also, props to Jodie Foster for taking a trip through a worm hole before it was cool.

Contact (1997) - Robert Zemeckis

Matthew McConaughey was as hunky as ever and showed his religious side. Also, props to Jodie Foster for taking a trip through a worm hole before it was cool.

Alright, alright

About Elly (2009) 6/10

I couldn't connect fully with the characters and their experiences. Though I also disliked its aesthetic minimalism, always inside the same place and the bouncing camera (though I am brainshwashed by the fixed camera used in animation so anything bouncing in the camera appears problematic to me now!) Still I admired it from a artistic perspective (like I did with Infinite Ryvius).

Rosetta (1999) - Luc Dardenne/Jean-Pierre Dardenne (Belgian Drama)
Rosetta is one of the most complex characters ever put on screen IMO. Pretty much everything she does could fill the viewer with anger or empathy depending on their perspective. This is my favourite Dardenne's movie so far and one that would have been very high up on my 90s list had I watched it back then. The titular character is a young woman doing anything she thinks she needs to do to break free from her surroundings and there haven't been many films that have taken me into the mind of a character better than this one.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - Joss Whedon

- Very appreciate this flick and In my opinion it was far better than the first one. Characters are nice even if I think that Ed Norton was better than Mark Ruffalo in the role of ''Hulk''.
+

Master of My Domain
Alphaville (1965)

I always prefer dystopian plots in the form of a book, not film. Both movie adaptations of novels I like (1984 and Fahrenheit 451) ended up being sloppy, unorganized and ventured too for away from the initial ideas in a bad way. Alphaville on the other hand is based on an original script, has yet another great performance by Anna Karina and a much better director at the helm, but still falls into the disappointment category, mainly for the reasons above and a tad bit too much focus on combining film noir with other genres.

How would you say its sloppy an unorganised? There's a lot to take in as Godard combines all sorts of different elements and ideas as he normally does, but I think it's a great film.

Master of My Domain
How would you say its sloppy an unorganised? There's a lot to take in as Godard combines all sorts of different elements and ideas as he normally does, but I think it's a great film.
IMO Godard's style doesn't fit in with sci-fi dystopia, and therefore while trying to execute it he gets carried away. Vivre Sa Vie could've possibly ended up the same, but that was Godard being himself doing what he does best, and Alphaville wasn't that case.

Master of My Domain
What is it that you think he does best?
Allusions to pop culture, satire, creative editing, and distinctive personalities that push the boundaries of cinema.

Alphaville lacked most of that, but it's not a bad film at all.

Alphaville (1965)

I always prefer dystopian plots in the form of a book, not film. Both movie adaptations of novels I like (1984 and Fahrenheit 451) ended up being sloppy, unorganized and ventured too for away from the initial ideas in a bad way. Alphaville on the other hand is based on an original script, has yet another great performance by Anna Karina and a much better director at the helm, but still falls into the disappointment category, mainly for the reasons above and a tad bit too much focus on combining film noir with other genres.

So you're saying Godard is a much better director than Truffaut?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just curious why you think that is?

Master of My Domain
Personally finding Alphaville to be a better dystopia film than Fahrenheit 451 doesn't imply that I like Truffaut better at all.

Btw, both are great directors.

Personally finding Fahrenheit 451 to be a better dystopia film than Alphaville doesn't imply that I like Truffaut better at all.

Btw, both are great directors.
Didn't you say Alphaville was better and didn't you say it has a much better director at the helm than Fahrenheit 451 (as an example of disappointing dystopian sci-fi adaptations) then?

Allusions to pop culture, satire, creative editing, and distinctive personalities that push the boundaries of cinema.

Alphaville lacked most of that, but it's not a bad film at all.
I thought it had all that plus more. This is a good video to watch too: