Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Romeo and Juliet (1968)

This is a highly acclaimed movie, but I have a general dislike for period pieces/costume drama. Add in the Shakespeare angle, and I was pretty much destined for a struggle. I enjoyed the start of this movie, but then I did struggle for the next 45 minutes. A really nice action sequence then came about that got me back into the movie, and carried me the rest of the way. This is a very well done film that I would recommend to people who like these types of films.

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
It doesn't apply to the whole picture, but some parts of it came across to me as Truffaut doing Hitchcock (especially that one "bad dream" sequence). The Hitchcockian Bernard Herrmann theme definitely helped to maintain that illusion.

All in all, I though it was a well made film, but I do think the content was a bit too on the nose for me, so I wouldn't say the film is a complete succes.

-------------------------------

Venus in Fur (2013)

Erotic atmosphere, elegant directing and confronting content makes for a significant little film that's well worth watching!

No rating.

Extreme Measures

Wow I haven't posted in a long time due to being busy but movie watching had not stopped!

I like Extreme Measure I always would see the start of the movie on TV but ended up falling asleep because they always put it on late night. After finally watching it all I didnt mind it, Hugh Grant is young and does a good job of a convincing doctor investigating as to why his patient died of weird circumstances. Sarah Jessica Parker was same old same old and Gene Hackman plays his character well enough. The movies flows along nicely and keeps you engaged enough not a masterpiece but worth a watch.

3/5 Stars

The Crowd (1928) - King Vidor (American Drama)
Excellent silent film about the life of a man who dreams of achieving things that elevate him above "the crowd" but instead finds constant struggles. There were times when it threatened to get overly melodramatic but it never quite crossed the line.

-

Underworld (2003) - Len Wiseman (American Action)
The problems here start with the script - it's just really bad and causes a bunch of otherwise competent actors to look amateurish. The concept is quite good and it looks ok but overall it's a pretty poor film. Also, Scott Speedman seems to have the Ryan Reynolds disease - everything he touches turns to crap.

Have you posted about that anywhere else, Sane? Or maybe it was another King Vidor film recently.
I think I posted that I was about to watch it but don't remember posting after - it's possible I forgot where I was up to and reposted it though.

The Gambler (2014)

I had a couple problems with the 1974 version with James Caan, but that movie got the feel right, had a great ending, and Caan was perfect for the role. It was a good movie. This remake is just too slick for the gritty subject matter, and Marky Mark did nothing with the role. I normally don't have personal problems with movies, but I lived through this. I had a serious gambling problem for about 20 years. I finally quit for good a couple months after joining this forum-the forum took it's place, so to speak. It was only this past December that I became totally free from my gambling debts including interest. There is no fantasy world where you can get out of trouble via a miracle. I was extremely lucky to keep my wife and house after having to hustle and sleep in my car for three years straight because I had to be on the streets 24/7. I had many more years of unbearable madness and pain. In a five year stretch starting in 2006, I lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, betting 5 to 10 grand a day while making 800-1000 in weekly pay, pay that was directly deposited into my wife's checking account so we could pay our bills. I never touched that money, and the story of how I got out of my mess is a 1000 times more interesting than this nonsense. I've been meaning to get off my lazy ass and look into my own screenplay or book, but of course, it's a dream anyway. Besides my personal issues with this movie, it's hard to care about a character when said character cares nothing about himself, and also lacks likability or charisma. I thought this movie sucked.

The Munekata Sisters (1950) - Yasujiro Ozu (Japanese Drama)
Ok, I think it's got to the point that my ratings for Ozu films don't really matter - I love everything about his films so much that I can't see how it would be possible to rate one below 3.5 popcorn boxes. This was the film made after Late Spring and before Early Summer and focussed on two sisters rather than a parent child relationship. It was interesting in that he dealt with the traditional vs modern themes in perhaps a more extreme way with one of the girls being his most modern female character ever.

It's a very good film and is part of the greatest run of quality films that a filmmaker ever had IMO - in nine years he created Late Spring, The Munekata Sisters, Early Summer, The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Tokyo Story, Early Spring, Tokyo Twilight & Equinox Flower. About five masterpieces in there.

Those drawings are incredibly generic. The guy with the red hair looks exactly like Kenshin and a dozen other Anime characters I've seen for example. And I've not seen much at all, those sorts of lazy shows/movies must really annoy you by now Guap.
I love the classic boys manga style in fact. I disliked the writing not the generic visuals.

Also, in live action the character design style is always the same, isn't it? One doesn't get tired of it? (there is some variation among ethnic groups though).

Since it only reproduces the visuals of reality the image itself lack artistic expression that's why in live action the only degree of freedom in visual expression is the camera's positioning and why direction is so important in this form of film production.

The Gambler (2014)

I had a couple problems with the 1974 version with James Caan, but that movie got the feel right, had a great ending, and Caan was perfect for the role. It was a good movie. This remake is just too slick for the gritty subject matter, and Marky Mark did nothing with the role. I normally don't have personal problems with movies, but I lived through this. I had a serious gambling problem for about 20 years. I finally quit for good a couple months after joining this forum-the forum took it's place, so to speak. It was only this past December that I became totally free from my gambling debts including interest. There is no fantasy world where you can get out of trouble via a miracle. I was extremely lucky to keep my wife and house after having to hustle and sleep in my car for three years straight because I had to be on the streets 24/7. I had many more years of unbearable madness and pain. In a five year stretch starting in 2006, I lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, betting 5 to 10 grand a day while making 800-1000 in weekly pay, pay that was directly deposited into my wife's checking account so we could pay our bills. I never touched that money, and the story of how I got out of my mess is a 1000 times more interesting than this nonsense. I've been meaning to get off my lazy ass and look into my own screenplay or book, but of course, it's a dream anyway. Besides my personal issues with this movie, it's hard to care about a character when said character cares nothing about himself, and also lacks likability or charisma. I thought this movie sucked.

Sorry that you went through all that Cricket, I'm glad you were able to eventually get past all that. Now that you can look back at it, your story might be really interesting to hear. Hopefully you can write a book or screenplay like you want someday!

So over the weekend I saw the final two films of Akira Kurosawa. The Idiot and Dersu Uzala. (I go into more detail of these films and The Quiet Duel in my Review Thread). This is both a happy moment but also a sad one. I have seen so many of Kurosawa’s films that I kinda started to take for granted that there was still more of his stuff for me to see. And now that it is over I know I will never see anything new by him again. At least when I watched the last film of my Scorsese Binge, I knew he was still alive and making movies. No such luck with Kurosawa. But at the same time, I have seen the complete feature filmography of one of the greatest filmmakers who ever lived. And as many of you would want, here are my ratings for all of Kurosawa's films.

Now I can focus on new filmmakers. And I have a new favorite in particular I want to focus on. Time to watch more films of Jean Pierre Melville.

Sanshiro Sugata

The Most Beautiful

Sanshiro Sugata Part 2

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tails

No Regrets for Our Youth

One Wonderful Sunday

The Quiet Duel

Stray Dog

Drunken Angel

Scandal

Rashomon

The Idiot

Ikiru

Seven Samurai

I Live in Fear

Throne of Blood

The Lower Depths

The Hidden Fortress

Yojimbo

The Bad Sleep Well

Sanjuro

High & Low

Red Beard

Dodes’ka-den

Dersu Uzala

Kagemusha

Ran

Dreams

Rhapsody in August

Madadayo

Lmao, a really good comedy movie I just find out that there is a sequel, also the date of the movie release is a day before my birthday! (rating stuff I always forget how to write it and noo don't reply to me how to, I am just tired to looked it up) 3.5/5.

Deep Impact(1998)

Finally a Disaster movie with actual heart. I finally watched Deep Impact for the first time. I always thought it'd be just another generic disaster movie so I never bothered to watch it, but this one actually played with my emotions multiple times throughout(Armageddon which came out the same year only made me tear up in one scene towards the end, many will know which scene I'm talking about), idk what it was. The acting in this movie is very good which surprised me as most disaster movies usually put more effort into the effects than the actual actors themselves. Robert Duvall, Morgan Freeman, Elijah Wood all do great, and I cannot forget Tea Leoni who does a fantastic job in this movie. This disaster movie is also consider one of the most scientifically accurate Disaster movies out there which is a big kudos to them.

Puni Puni Poemi (2001)

Really frenetic satire of a satire of meta anime, in other words, FLCL but on satire mode of magical girl shows. Brilliant in some ways, a bit stupid in others/goes to far. But overall highly entertaining classic of "adult" animation. Combining manga, series and films I have watched about 30-40 magical girl titles. A genre of major importance in modern globalized pop culture.

8/10

Great stuff.

Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon, 2015)
Well, I had more fun with this then I would like to admit.