Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.

+

Watchable, but not rewatchable. I guess I just don't like mindless action movies like this.

Premium Rush (2012)

This is an exciting fast-paced action adventure involving cool bike stunts on the busy streets of Manhattan. Highly enjoyable film.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (1995-1997)

Quite mediocre early satire of the magical girl genre made inside of a harem genre title Tenchy Muyo in fact. Its quite boring at certain parts though.

5/10

That's a really high rating compared to his other ratings.
I'll talk more about it when I make a post for it in our review thread, but it made me think about what kind of things are really important in life.

My favorite line was, "The happiness that you wanted for me was too hard to bear."

I have to return some videotapes.
Big thumbs up for rating the movie in an honest way, Cole, I respect that.
Thanks, I guess. I really wanted to like it too, which sucks.

Godzilla (2014)

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this, and probably would've given it a higher mark last night right after watching it. I love monster/disaster movies, but I think my enthusiasm was tempered by my dislike for Pacific Rim and Battleship. I didn't care anything about the plot, but that's not why I watch these movies anyway. I've always loved Godzilla, and hearing is lizard dragon cry for the first time sent chills down my spine.

Master of My Domain
Vivre Sa Vie (1962)

Getting to know Godard - Part #1

I think I'm starting to really appreciate the French new wave. Like I said in my write-up of Jules and Jim I adore the cinematography and the simple, unsentimental and artistically eclectic flow of the films. Vivre Sa Vie beautifully describes the life of Nana, a prostitute dreaming the life of the actor (btw, the acting by Anna Karina was excellent), showing both optimistic and pessimistic, bright and cold sides brilliantly in a short 85 minutes. So far so good Mr. Godard, I'll be visiting your Alphaville tomorrow.

Like I said - brings back my old days, when I was your age.
I don't know. I'm not sure if I'll ever take ratings seriously again. Reducing a film to a number doesn't really say all that much to me anymore. It kind of cheapens the experience I just had.
Certain films are simply not comparable to eachother because they're so extremely different and if I would adopt, for instance, your kind of rating system, I would have to give films that I like a
, which doesn't do any justice to those movies and which I therefore don't feel comfortable with.

I'm not a person that feels comfortable judging things in general (people, art, etc.) anyway, especially not by using numbers. I'd rather use words to explain my opinion, because it's much more nuanced.

I respect people who can use ratings well and it's still an effective way of expressing how you felt about a film to someone very quickly, but for me personally, that way of categorizing films didn't really work out that well. I feel like it's not the right way to deal with works of art.

Care for some gopher?
The Artist (F/B/USA, 2011, Michel Hazanavicius) -

Well made but pretty boring to me.

Ratings are exactly that. Ratings. They're a shorthand made popular by magazines, newspapers and the like to give an quick at-a-glance recommendation to/for something. They're not a review and their not a critique. They're a rating.

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

From the top 100 Sci-Fi list, a pretty interesting story in which firemen are in charge of seeking out and burning all literature. Complications arise for one fireman when he becomes fond of reading. An interesting story like I said, but I didn't find the translation to film all that interesting. Julie Christie plays two roles, and it's got some great visuals. Not bad, worth a watch.

Quite mediocre early satire of the magical girl genre made inside of a harem genre title Tenchy Muyo in fact. Its quote boring at certain parts though.

5/10
Those drawings are incredibly generic. The guy with the red hair looks exactly like Kenshin and a dozen other Anime characters I've seen for example. And I've not seen much at all, those sorts of lazy shows/movies must really annoy you by now Guap.

Quite mediocre early satire of the magical girl genre made inside of a harem genre title Tenchy Muyo in fact. Its quote boring at certain parts though.

5/10
I hear that is one of the more hated series among the Tenchi fanbase.