Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I like the first one the least of the series and quite like the sequels.

I'd rank them:

Fury Road
The Road Warrior
Beyond Thunderdome
Mad Max
I'm quite interested in Fury Road, even people who don't particularly like the series say it's pretty good.

Gate of Flesh (1964)

In a struggling post-war Japan, a group of young women who have sex with random men for money(prostitutes), hunker down in a slum, and stick together to get by. Except they don't completely stick together. They have their own internal set of rules, most importantly don't give it up for free. If this rule is violated, and it is, brutal punishment will follow. This is a pretty good movie overall; not quite an exploitation movie, and not quite a totally serious movie, but somewhere in between. If it was strictly one or the other, I think this would've been a great movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I, Curmudgeon - 10/10

I've had a great viewing day.. When I got up, I saw an article about a guest who was on Letterman (Harvey Pekar), and he was in one of these videos, and after I watched all his stuff, I saw this documentary with Harvey, and many others: Andy Rooney, Frank Leibowitz, artists, a lot of people I didn't know, a lot of Canadians, Jews, etc... It would view each person for a short period, some longer than others, and I found it so enjoyable, and was nice to see people baring their soul, and nice when some people echo feelings you do about conformity, society, etc..

Here's the link:

Witness (1985) - Peter Weir

It kind of turned out to be more of a drama than thriller...who cares as long as it was good...and it was, good.

8 out of 10

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Norman Jewison

It gave me the feeling that it was going to be a good one early on and it didn't let down...

8.5 out of 10

Three Men and a Baby (1987) - Leonard Nimoy (American Comedy)
Pretty much the definition of light enertainment. It's never particularly funny but is mostly ok - just loses points for being so anchored to its time visually ... and for the bad acting of Danson & Guttenberg.

-

Friday (1995) - F Gary Gray (American Comedy)
I'm not a fan of Chris Tucker but don't mind Ice Cube. He was pretty good in this and deserves credit for also co-writing it. It's major flaw for me is that there is just not enough material to sustain a full length movie and some scenes, like the ending, felt a bit like the product of a lack of ideas - but it's still an entertaining movie.

Cruel Story of Youth (1960) - Nagisa Oshima (Japanese Drama)
The fifth film of Oshima's that I've seen and definitely the weakest. I guess it looks at themes related to youth and disassociation but it didn't really create characters that I had much interest in. As with all of Oshima's films it was definitely interesting but unlike his others it was only an ok movie.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

The first one was entertaining. This one was too complex and not so entertaining. Actually, I fell asleep twice because I couldn't understand what was going on. Maybe I'm getting too old for superhero movies.

Take the Money and Run (1969)

Woody Allen mockumentary in which he plays a born loser who turns to a life of crime. It does have some funny moments, but it felt kind of incomplete to me. I think I'd only recommend it to Allen fans.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Take the Money and Run (1969)

Woody Allen mockumentary in which he plays a born loser who turns to a life of crime. It does have some funny moments, but it felt kind of incomplete to me. I think I'd only recommend it to Allen fans.

I'm not really a Woody Allen fan, but I liked Take the Money and Run. I thought it was one of his better movies.

Scarface (1983) - Brian De Palma

Watched it long time ago, didn't remember much...certainly needed to watch one more time, glad I did so.

8.5 out of 10

Straw Dogs (1971) - Sam Peckinpah

This one I didn't like that much...Had its moments all right, but as a whole, it didn't do anything much to me...remember watching The Wild Bunch, which was far better in almost all aspects...

6.5 out of 10

Mad Max: Fury Road (A.K.A. Let's Put on More Makup in the Wasteland, A.K.A. Airbrush the Explosions, A.K.A. Transformers Level of Blurry Action)

Boring. Doesn't hold a candle to the original or Road Warrior.