Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Illusionist (2006) - Neil Burger

A spicy fairy tale...had all the possible ingredients in it...one of those films that you enjoy while you are watching it and forget the moment it gets passed...

6.5 out of 10

The Chaser (2008) - NA Hong-jin

Too much running and blood spilling spoiled for me what otherwise was a very potent film experience...

8 out of 10

No Country For Old Men (2007) - Joel & Ethan Coen

This is more like it...no cheap thrills here...second viewing and it gets better...

9 out of 10

This is more like it...no cheap thrills here...second viewing and it gets better...

9 out of 10
Watched this a while back and didn't really enjoy it so I definitely need to give this a second viewing. I like all their other films I've seen so hopefully watching it again will change my opinion.

Movie Forums Extra
The Devil's Advocate 8/10

Thesis (1996) - Alejandro Amenebar

A rather forgettable novice attempt...

5.5 out of 10
How many Amenabar films have you seen?

I have seen all but the brand new one getting ready to come out. He's one of my favorite directors.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Storm Warning - 5/10

Thanks CR for the recommendation. I liked how during the bus break a man asks for a pack of cigarettes. The cashier says they are in the machine. "Pretty soon they won't need people like us." I only like it because that was 1951, and in the air, they knew slowly machines were replacing people.

There's a murder of a reporter trying to investigate the small town. One man doesn't know who the cowards are - the ones who do bad, or the ones you do nothing about it and just observe and keep quiet. It's nice when the sister's meet, you can tell just by the eyes that she's told her boss a lot of not-so-great things about her sister, who "should call more often." etc.

The wife doesn't want to believe, because she loves the man, so that's the mechanism.

It's kind of a "made-in-the-lab" noir, and I've seen plenty. It's about the KKK, but there's discussion about why the KKK is wrong, didn't hear anything about how racist they are, etc... The acting is pretty lousy, I don't know how Reagan became an actor or President. Actually, I do. He was a friendly witness, a rat for the HUAC....

Still, it's a short movie, broke even with a 5/10.

9 out of 10
Oh yes, that's more like it! Indeed, it gets better with each viewing.

These movies became progressively uninteresting for me. I defended the first one but couldn't any longer, there is simply too much fat to be trimmed in this series. The fact that I waited this long to see the third one speaks volumes. Still I could see a nice three hour cut of these movies that would make for a really nice prequel. There are things to like among the excess.

Ornamental Hairpin (1941) - Hiroshi Shimizu (Japanese Drama)
This was my second Shimizu film and I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. He seems to be one of the lesser known Japanese directors but anyone who likes Ozu or Naruse should check him out. His style is kind of like Ozu meets the outdoors. Very simple but nice characters and pretty images.

+

3:10 to Yuma (2007) - James Mangold (American Western)
Not much to say about this as it all felt a bit meh by the end. Nothing wrong with the story or the acting but the script wasn't great and it just seemed to get a bit silly as it went along.

Babylon A.D. (2008) - Mathieu Kossovitz (French Science Fiction)
Vin Diesel is just not the guy you want starring in your film. In more of a support role (or just one with not many lines), such as in Pitch Black, he can be great but as the main guy he is usually pretty bad. Nothing about this film was overly memorable and I would doubt that Charlotte Rampling, Gerard Depardieu or Michelle Yeoh have ever been in anything much worse.

-

How many Amenabar films have you seen?

I have seen all but the brand new one getting ready to come out. He's one of my favorite directors.
This was the only one left. The Others and The Sea Inside are my favorites...

Child 44 (2015) - really disappointed. I've waited for this movie for ages and it was terrible.I think the weakest thing was the screenplay which is just a mess. I didn't really get if the film was about crime,USSR and its propaganda politics or story about a guy whose priorities change. And lots of little plot details that are just plain bad.
Acting is okay but the accents couldn't make the story nor the characters believable. I really think that the story had lots of potential but this approach was not good.