1960's
7.14%
4 votes
1950's
10.71%
6 votes
1940's
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'm rather surprised by the poll. lol Most of the '80s movies I've watched defined the genres they were set in and are lazily imitated by modern day remakes and reboots, whether it's Friday the 13th for the slasher genre, Terminator for the sci-fi action genre, Aliens (and even Alien was near the '80s) for the sci-fi horror genre, Blade Runner for the sci-fi noir genre, etc.

I was born in the exact year of 1990, so I don't really have that much knowledge in terms of movie history, but from what I see, movies in the 2010s are just getting worse with each year. Hardly anything fresh can be seen and more than half of them are a retread of an old familiar tale. Maybe my cynicism is getting the best of me, and maybe kids these days see something in these movies that I don't, but that's just how I feel.

Freaking Jurassic World.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You should start with the early films, and move upward, to see the evolution (or digression)..

I was born in 1982, but for me to dismiss films before I was born would exclude 99% of my favorite films.

Welcome to the human race...
I voted for the 2000s because according to my film-rating stats it's the lowest-rated decade on average, but it's also the decade where I've rated the most films, so the results are naturally a bit skewed. I let maths decide this because I couldn't decide otherwise. There's bad and good in every decade.

for me it is 2010s not because this decade is less good in movies but because this decade is not as creative as before. not many new things are to be seen now.

2010's for certain. I'm not a huge fan of the gigantic influx of sequels, remakes, reboots, etc. 2000's are also a bit weak, but there's plenty of gems to save that. (Let the Right One In and the Dark Knight, for example)

How can the 80s keep getting more votes than the 2000s or 2010s where CGI spread like a virus?

Care for some gopher?
How can the 80s keep getting more votes than the 2000s or 2010s where CGI spread like a virus?
Maybe because CGI isn't something inherently bad?

Maybe because CGI isn't something inherently bad?
It is when it's the only selling point of the movie.

This.

Same goes for 'auto-tune' in pop music circa 2000s and onwards.

So a movie can't be managed to emphasize its visual appeal?

Anyway, that depends on where you put the focus. Elements of fantasy and science fiction of course yes, they have adopted the CGI technology because it's the thing and it keeps being developed. But this is hardly a proper sample of the whole 21st Century run. There's a huge genre bias out there.

Well, my problem with this generation of movies is that they often have a mediocre feel to them. It's like they either try too hard to have a mind-blowing story... or they barely try at all and just slap together some lame-ass comedy for the sake of... wait for it... "entertainment value".

Whatever. You kids enjoy your entertainment. I'm the odd man out. Whatever.

So a movie can't be managed to emphasize its visual appeal?

Anyway, that depends on where you put the focus. Elements of fantasy and science fiction of course yes, they have adopted the CGI technology because it's the thing and it keeps being developed. But this is hardly a proper sample of the whole 21st Century run. There's a huge genre bias out there.
I'm thinking along the lines of movies like "10,000 BC" and the Transformers films which are pretty much just montages of special effects and never would've sold for any other reason

Yeah. When's the last time you've ever heard that a movie was great because of an inspirational story that motivates people to do something greater? Or just a really good story that causes people to discuss among themselves the various themes and subjects portrayed. Name 10.

A video game has a better story than movies nowadays. A video game has provoked more discussions and controversies among people than movies. Yes, I'm referring to BioShock: Infinite. A video game, the worst medium for storytelling, has evolved. Hah... Man.

Nowadays, movies are just there to pass the time. Forgettable experiences that don't help you engage, but escape.

What the hell. Do you want me to list my favorites from the 2000s and 2010s here? Because there's a quite large amount.

Or in the contrary you expect me to name actual instances of movies with a huge support from people? "When was the last time"... I see it everytime and everywhere. People still build hype towards stuff, whether you or I agree with it or not. For instance I don't like Frozen, but it's been deemed as wonderful and inspirational by many people. Would it serve to you? Or Avatar. Or Inception. Or Interstellar. Or every Nolan movie. Or many Pixar films. Or The intouchables. Or Slumdog Millionaire. And so on.

But hey, let's roll the ball. When has CGI become a burden for a good and inspirational story? I'm not talking about movies that don't even try. I'm talking about actual good stories that are completely spoiled by the CGI technology. Name 10.

What the hell. Do you want me to list my favorites from the 2000s and 2010s here? Because there's a quite large amount.

Or in the contrary you expect me to name actual instances of movies with a huge support from people? "When was the last time"... I see it everytime and everywhere. People still build hype towards stuff, whether you or I agree with it or not. For instance I don't like Frozen, but it's been deemed as wonderful and inspirational by many people. Would it serve to you? Or Avatar. Or Inception. Or Interstellar. Or every Nolan movie. Or many Pixar films. Or The intouchables. Or Slumdog Millionaire. And so on.

But hey, let's roll the ball. When's the last time that CGI became a burden for a good story? I'm not talking about movies that don't even try. I'm talking about actual good stories that are completely spoiled by the CGI technology. Name 10.

(More than) 10 movies that should have been good and had a decent premise, but were sacrificed in place of a CGI fest.

Star Wars Episode I
Star Wars Episode II
Star Wars Episode III
Prometheus
The Hobbit
The Hobbit
The Hobbit
Transformers
Transformers 2
Transformers 3
Transformers 4
Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
Deep Blue Sea
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

Care for some gopher?
Are we talking about movies in general or just about blockbuster movies? Yes, most bluckbuster movies today are very stupid movies heavily relying on action and effects. But there are lots and lots of movies from this and last decade out there which are none of that. Latest examples are Nightcrawler, Birdman, Whiplash, Selma, ...

Whatever. You kids enjoy your entertainment. I'm the odd man out. Whatever.
Wow! Someone has a different opinion and you're instantly offended. Very mature.

Wow! Someone has a different opinion and you're instantly offended. Very mature.
Speak for yourself. That was hardly being offended. Being offended is something like your condescending and sarcastic clever remark that I've seen far too often on the Internet. Oh that's mature.

Are we talking about movies in general or just about blockbuster movies? Yes, most bluckbuster movies today are very stupid movies heavily relying on action and effects. But there are lots and lots of movies from this and last decade out there which are none of that. Latest examples are Nightcrawler, Birdman, Whiplash, Selma, ...

Blockbusters with CGI as the main attraction is really what I had in mind, not simply the use of CGI 'in general'; Birdman was a great film and I'd say the CGI added to it well.