Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

thinking of watching safe heaven.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Bringing Up Baby was better than His Girl Friday for me.
I find Bringing Up Baby long-winded and tiring and I find His Girl Friday long-winded and invigorating. My favorite Hawks comedy is definitely Monkey Business though. It's basically like Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers go on an acid trip, with the added irony that Grant became a big advocate of LSD in his later years. It also functions as a film about coming to terms with ageing.

I thought His Girl Friday was brilliant, and I liked Bringing Up Baby too, a lot at times, but not as much as it does get tiresome at certain points at the end with an overload of screwball characters.

Next up:

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Only Angels Have Wings is where mature Hawks begins, where Hawks becomes more like a non-narrative observationalist than a Hollywood adventure filmmaker. Hope you like it!

Only Angels Have Wings is where mature Hawks begins, where Hawks becomes more like a non-narrative observationalist than a Hollywood adventure filmmaker. Hope you like it!
I've been looking forward to it, as I've enjoyed everything I've seen so far and I know you love it. There's still plenty left too. I'll probably do a longer poster about these films soon probably, your watching of him and Ford partly inspired this run from me as well as an interview that I recorded on BBC that I found interesting So far I'd rank his films so far roughly like:

1. Rio Bravo
  2. His Girl Friday
  3. Red River
  4. Scarface
  5. The Big Sleep
  6. Bringing Up Baby
  7. The Thing From Another World

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I actually really liked the screwball style of Bringing Up Baby but it admittedly isn't for everyone. It's kind of like Some Like it Hot in that it just isn't for everybody.

I liked it an awful lot, and still thought it was a great movie.
from me and one of the best older American comedies I have seen so far, it's just that I thought His Girl Friday was a masterpiece, although that had a more darker, acerbic style, with wittier dialogue rather than laugh out loud moments and I loved Cary Grant's confident character more too, I could have watched him all day.

So... Let's see what the hell this film was doing on my 49th place of my Top Favorite Horrors!

Please be just some kind of a reflection of how I remember it! Please! Haha

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
The Godfather

It's that time of the year again. Also, I got few suggestions for what to watch this weekend, and I'll be doing that.

I might be in the minority but Wait until Dark sorta sucks. Just the thought of it makes me zzzzzzzzzz
I hated Wait until Dark too. By letting the audience know the bad guys' plan at the beginning of the movie makes it very boring watching Audrey discover what we already know, which takes a lot of time. Poor man's Rear Window in my eyes.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Actually it's from a play by Frederick Knott, who also wrote Dial M for Murder, which is structured similarly. You hate that too?

In Dial M for Murder, um........ Yeah um.... I love Hitchcock and umm............umm.um.

I don't know, whenever I say that "watching X uncover what we know is boring" I kind of feel like a hypocrite as I bashed this, Manchurian Candidate and Leave her to Heaven while Dial M and Rope also kind of fall victim of what I criticized the former three films for. And I think those Hitchcock films are great.

In my defense I'll say this.

In Rope, we know at the beginning of the movie Dall and Granger killed someone but though they did something bad, in the context of the movie, they are the protagonists and hence we want to see them win while the antagonist, James Stewart, is the good guy, which makes the movie interesting. If Stewart was viewed protagonist (meaning him getting more screen time during the party than Dall and Granger; Stewart isn't featured in every conversation while either Dall and Granger are if I remember correctly) then it would be boring watching him discover what we know and hence, I don't know......

I saw the Hitch films years ago when I was first becoming a film buff and the three films I said I didn't like were within the last year (I think I saw LHtH almost exactly a year ago.) maybe that has to do with it. I don't know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As long as you're aware of this, you can try to find other reasons for liking/disliking movies, and it will improve your critical skills of watching, discussing and perhaps enjoying them more.