New Willy Wonka

Tools    

Originally Posted by Yoda
Old-time MoFo Miriam and I talked about this some time ago, and came to agree that Kevin Spacey is probably the only modern-day star who could slide into that velvety purple coat and deliver a performance comparable to Gene Wilder's. Of course, they're probably going to alter the remake's direction and mood enough that someone like Spacey, while perhaps ideal for a mere update, would seem out of place in a total revisioning of the story.
I can see Spacey delivering a performance like Wilder's, that's true. I think Depp has already said that he wants to make the role his own, but doesn't want to insult Wilder. I think he will do it admirably.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Yoda
Old-time MoFo Miriam and I talked about this some time ago, and came to agree that Kevin Spacey is probably the only modern-day star who could slide into that velvety purple coat and deliver a performance comparable to Gene Wilder's.
If Burton were looking for even more Box Office success, imagine Jim Carrey in the role.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally Posted by Mark
If Burton were looking for even more Box Office success, imagine Jim Carrey in the role.
I'd rather not.

I feel that this is a worthy re-make, Burtons style and direction could lead this to be great, unlike Planet of the Apes, which, well, wasn't great. Such a waste of Tim Roth.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Gene Wilder is very much alive kiddo.
He is alive really?I thought he was dead!He must be really old by now through!
Anyway if he was still young he could be Wonka again!That would be pretty cool but I doubt it however!
I have a bad feeling that the remake is going to be a flop!Like most remakes!Anyway see you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

If Burton is doing the remake Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, it will most likely turn out to be a wild ride. Burton has a fantastic style to all his films, and knows how to entertain. Pee Wee's Big Adventure , Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow are only a few of his outstanding pieces of work.

I am actually anxious to the outcome of the all new Willy Wonka.

I think it'd be cool to see Depp play Wonka. I also think it'd be cool to see Depp/Burton collaborate to make the movie.
And found he was eating his shoe.

I think that no one will be able to top Gene Wilder's role as Wonka, which pretty much destroys the reason for making it. And now that I think of it I just can't picture Depp as Wonka. I also don't think Burton should do remakes.

The only movie of his that I really loved is Ed Wood. The rest I either didn't like or thought they were "just ok."

Man how sad has life gotten that this movie has to be "remade"

The idea of doing a remake of Willy Wonka just takes all the holiday cheer right out. Some movies should just be left alone and enjoyed as the classics they are.

If Burton wants to adapt this, he should work on the "The Glass Evevator" which as many know is the sequel to the Chocolate Factory.

I need a drink....

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I'm a fan of both Depp and Burton, but it'll be damn near impossible to erase Gene Wilder as Wonka from my mind.

Originally Posted by Endless
(however I have yet to see "Ed Wood" because I cannot find it on DVD, and have no VCR, but have heard very good things) .
Ed Wood is coming out on DVD Special Edition... uh.. I think in February.. *blink* I'm not sure on that. My mom is spazzing out because that and The Brave are the only two Johnny movies she has not seen. My mom found it on DVDPlanet.com (It's not my site so I'm not plugging it for any reason other than helping you find it.. lol ) She just ordered it this morning.. lol.

And my mom is completly spazzing about this remake. She is hoping this doesn't interfere with the Pirates sequel filming because she wants them both to come out, like now. lol. I can't wait either. Burton and Johnny never dissapoint.. well.. 90% of the time at least.

The Original Computer Virus
I think Tim Curry would make a good Willy Wonka.

I think Depp is perfect for this role only because Burton is directing. If another director were doing this then any other good actor could probably pull it off, but Burton and Depp are just great together because they get each other. The dark sensibilities the two of them share will make for a really interesting take on this story.

Thursday Is Best
i cant think of anyone as origanal as depp for wonka and as for musicals, nightmare before christmas was the best musical ive ever seen, even tho burton only wrote it. i have good feelings about this.

A Willy Wonka remix sounds cool. I enjoy both Burron(spelling?) and Depp!

Couple points....

The original story of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by Dahl was not a very cheery story. It was very dark and sad. Wonka was a lonely man, and only opened his doors because he was so lonely. Dark...somewhat twisted....Burton is going to kick ass with this one.

Second. Burton is pretty solid, and has been even after Ed Wood. Now he's coming out with Big Fish, which I think will end up Oscar-bound. It's going to be awesome.

Finally, Depp is going to be awesome as Wonka. He can adapt to any character, especially dark. (okay, so we all can tell I'm a Burton/Depp fanatic, so what). Just my thoughts....

Originally Posted by Trogdor
The original story of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by Dahl was not a very cheery story. It was very dark and sad. Wonka was a lonely man, and only opened his doors because he was so lonely. Dark...somewhat twisted...
completely agree...i was read the book when i was very little by a family freind whenever she came over to visit, and i performed in the play a few years back (not the one with royalties though, the school i was with at the time had a thing about writing their own scripts and not dealing with royalties) and have always loved it.

depp will make a fantastic wonka. what I love about depp is that every role he's in, he is that role, we cease to even think of him as Johnny Depp (at least i do). another thing thats cool too is that since Johnny Depp is in it (he's become sort of a pheonix as in teen girl fandom, i have friends, younge rthan me who say He's one hot guy) a whole new generation will be exposed to Tim Burton in a film that kids as well as adults will enjoy.

The Strongest Girl Alive
I loved both the book and the original movie. I don't really feel they need to make a remake... not saying that it's not gonna be great but I think they should only make remakes of movies that were based on excelent books but ruined when adapted to film. They would never do this because it wouldn't be a garantee they would bring in the cash.

i think this movie should have been left alone, no remake. but considering that there is going to be one... id really rather johnny depp not play wonka. i appreciate him as an actor, and yes from most all the ladies standpoints, he is charming and cute, but i believe this is just a chance to capitalize on the fact that he is a hot actor right now. they need someone who more appropriately fits the role of WONKA! lol, someone that they previously were considering, such as marilyn manson. consider the 2... both similar in twisted context, both rather... creepy and stickly lol, and a chance at a breakthrough for him expanding his faculties to other areas of entertainment, rather than getting depp another huge bonus ^_______________________^ thank you for your time, and any who agree with me, or disagree with me, can msg me on aim as m00nshark