Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I don't think visual complexity is the same as visual density. Someone like Rohmer or Ford can make a more complex shot out of one face than most directors make with 20.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The director might make the shot more complex or dense, but in truth, the viewer makes the shot more meaningful.

Master of My Domain
Well at least it's better than that one time you gave Wolf of Wall Street a -1/10.

Rush Hour (1998) - Brett Ratner (American Action)
This movie raised an interesting question for me - if the outtakes that are shown under the credits are more entertaining than everything that happened in the previous 90 minutes, does that make the film more enjoyable and therefore deserve a higher rating? I decided it does.

+

Erik the Viking (1989) - Terry Jones (British Comedy)
Lots of things don't really work in this movie - particularly casting Tim Robbins - but as a fan of the Python style of humour there was still enough here to keep me entertained. I would imagine anyone who doesn't like that style of humour would find it to be pretty bad.

It Follows

A decent attempt at trying something different with the genre and a stellar score makes me want to like this film a bit more than I did. While slow, it does have it's fair share of edge of your seat creepiness and the director has a future for sure.
I liked this a lot. For a horror movie it was really good. It's sort of rare these days to see a horror film receive critical acclaim like this one did.

Desperate Living (1977) - John Waters (American Comedy)
I'm not sure I've ever seen a film directed by Waters that I really liked. Even 20 years ago I always felt as though he was trying too hard to shock people whereas he should have been trying harder to make good movies. To me "shocking" people is only a valid achievement if I happens inside a movie that people otherwise enjoy - as the focus it doesn't really feel like it's worth anything.

The problem then becomes, 38 years later, that it's not even shocking anymore so I was left with ... disinterest unfortunately.

-

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Last Tango In Paris - 8/10 - Don't love it as much as I used to. Maybe it's some of the writing that I loved. The acting and directing is very great, but there are some dull parts. I wouldn't have rated this as highly, but then again, I watched this today, with an hour intermission. It also could have been when and where I saw this film repeatedly over a year ago.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A butter-full film. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sleeping Beauty (2011)

A young, seemingly normal girl gets involved in some adult service work. I think the movie is tastefully done for the subject matter, and fairly realistic. Emily Browning plays the girl, and is very good in addition to having the right look for the role. This is a very slow movie that I would not recommend to many people. I always find these stories interesting, so it was a decent watch for me.

Sleeping Beauty (2011)

A young, seemingly normal girl gets involved in some adult service work. I think the movie is tastefully done for the subject matter, and fairly realistic. Emily Browning plays the girl, and is very good in addition to having the right look for the role. This is a very slow movie that I would not recommend to many people. I always find these stories interesting, so it was a decent watch for me.

Didnt I mention that one to you?

Hello I Must Be Going (2012) - Todd Louiso (American Romance)
Louiso is a director with a big future IMO. His debut movie from 2002 with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Love Liza, is one of the best American films from the noughties and whilst this didn't reach those heights it was still a good film. Melanie Lynskey puts in a great performance as a divorced 35 years old woman having a fling with a 19 year old. The only thing that stops me from rating it higher is that it kind of didn't really go beyond just being "nice" but it was still enjoyable.

-

The Wedding March (1928) - Erich Von Stroheim (American Romance)
The third film by Von Stroheim I've seen in the last week or so and it's another really good one. There isn't a huge amount of subtlety in the way he delivers his themes here but it's still really well done - basically focuses on marrying for love as opposed to marrying who you are "supposed" to marry. Von Stroheim himself puts in a great performance and this also stars Fay Wray.

Overall it's production is quite "epic" with lots of extras and it all looks great - especially a short colour sequence.

-

Neptune's Daughter (1949)

Fun fluff starring swimming star Esther Williams as a...swimming star who becomes a successful saleswoman of a famous swimming line of apparel. Keenan Wynn as her jealous manager, Ricardo Montalban as a South American polo champ with eyes for Williams, Red Skelton and Betty Garrett providing the laughs, with another of those mistaken identity subplots going on. Surprisingly for an Esther Williams film, there is not as much swimming as there is romance and comedy, but it works fine here. Mel Blanc appears as a worker for Montalban and of course there's no mistaking that famous voice of his. Here's an interesting bit of trivia about the famous song, "Baby It's Cold Outside" that appears in the film:

When Frank Loesser's "Baby, It's Cold Outside" was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song, other songwriters protested because Loesser had originally written it in 1944 as a duet for himself and his wife to sing at parties, and they argued that it should not therefore be counted as an "original" song. But the Academy ruled that since the song had never been performed PROFESSIONALLY before it appeared in the film, it was therefore eligible, and it went on to win the award.

Of course, now it's considered a classic Christmas song, but there was no snow or holiday at all in the movie.

Distance (2001) - Hirokazu Koreeda (Japanese Drama)
Yet another excellent movie from Koreeda - my favourite modern director. As he also did in Nobody Knows, he takes a real life event and uses it as inspiration for his story - this time the Tokyo sarin gas attack of 1995. In Distance we are looking at some relatives of cult members who poisoned a city's water supply and then committed mass suicide. It's a movie about loss and our memories - and perhaps about dealing with the loss of someone that you may not have known as well as you thought you did.

This falls a little bit short of Koreeda's best but that is more a reflection of the quality of some of his other films rather than a criticism of this one.

-