Intersellar : Question : Warning : Possible Spoiler

Tools    

On the first Planet that they arrived at , why did the original astronaut (the one they awakened ) make up that story , that the air is breathable on the surface of the Planet ? I didn't understand the whole story of what was going on there and why they were trying to kill each other ?

Welcome to the human race...
If we're going to be technical, that was the second planet they arrived at (the first one had those huge tidal waves).

Anyway, what happened with the original astronaut is that he had realised that the planet he had landed on was uninhabitable and he had no way of getting back to Earth. So he sent out a homing signal to Earth saying that the planet was inhabitable in order to lure someone else to the planet. When the main characters showed up with no intention of rescuing him, he decided to incapacitate them so he could steal their ship and return to Earth.

Thank-you for the explanation. Yes, this is what I suspected was the reason. I was surprised that the main ship was still operable after the damage it sustained from the improper docking attempt by the astronaut that wanted to escape from that uninhabitable Planet ? The movie got really weird at the end when they were in another dimension . One final question though , wouldn't it be too cold to live that far away orbiting Saturn ?

Welcome to the human race...
I might be wrong about this, but it's my understanding that the rogue astronaut ended up destroying the outer airlock by not docking properly, though this left the rest of the ship intact and presumably capable of flight. Also, I think the coldness issue was resolved by the fact that people were living inside a space station at the end so that would presumably involve the ability to control the temperature.

A system of cells interlinked
They weren't orbiting Saturn - they were in another galaxy entirely. They went to Saturn in order to travel through the wormhole that had appeared near Saturn 40+ years before they started the mission - the existence of the wormhole is why they started the secret mission in the first place.

Here is the timeline (loosely)

1997: Donald is born in Denver, Colorado.

2019: Wormhole was first identified by the LIGO facility in California. "48 years ago."

2029: First A.I. passes Turing Test.

2032: Cooper is born in Denver, Colorado, grows up during Food Riots and beginning of the collapse, no baseball games when he was growing up. Erin Cooper is born to Donald and his unnamed wife.

2047: TARS/CASE/KIPP/PLEX built roughly around this time, used in wars, given to NASA as surplus equipment.
Early 2052: Tom is born in Lamar, Colorado.

February 10, 2057: Cooper is a test pilot for NASA while over the Straits, crash grounds him semi-permanently in late 2056. Indian Air Force ceases to exist along with NASA, officially in late 2056. NASA launches 12 secret missions through the wormhole, one system has three planets: a water world, ice planet and Edmunds' world in early 2057. Murph is born in Lamar, Colorado on June 28, 2056.

August 14, 2059: An astronaut and companion PLEX for the Lazarus missions arrives at an unnamed planet with intense geological activity.

Around April 15, 2067: "Present day" in the film's first hour. The world suffers the blight causing immense dust storms to wreak havoc. NASA facility inside former NORAD HQ in Colorado. Cooper rejoins NASA, boards Endurance, launched toward Saturn. Hypersleep for 2 years to Saturn.

Around February 20, 2069: It is decided to land on the water world first, Romilly states that every hour there will be seven years to the outside world due to time dilation. Landing on the water world scrubbed due to mistake, Doyle lost.
2070s/2080s: Lois and Tom are married. Jesse is born and dies. Donald dies.

First half of 2086: "Coop" is born.

Around June 28, 2092: Cooper and Brand with CASE return to Endurance to find Romilly, who reports that 23 years had passed while they were down on the surface not 7 years or less. Murph is working with Dr. Brand at the NASA facility. Cooper catches up on a cache of 23 years worth of video messages. It is revealed to Murph that Dr. Brand had no intention of saving the world, it was impossible, Murph feels betrayed but retains her want to save the world. While attempting to repair KIPP, Romilly is killed in an explosion. Dr. Mann is killed in orbit of the ice planet and damages the Endurance trying to steal the ship and take it to Edmunds' Planet. Brand and Cooper slingshot around the blackhole Gargantua.

2092-2156: Getty and Murph become romantically involved. Murph solves gravity which allows the stations to be launched from Earth's surface and into orbit. Cooper Station and other stations are launched from Earth and placed in orbit of various planets in-system. The Endurance mission is listed missing, presumed lost. Gargantua system is deemed not viable for human habitation. Missions are launched to recover other surviving astronauts in other systems through the wormhole.

2130s: Tom dies in his eighties, more than two decades prior to Cooper's return.

2143: 51 Earth years had passed since Endurance's slingshot around Gargantua. TARS falls into the black hole to collect quantum data as well as Cooper who enters the Tessaract fifth dimensional space. Brand reaches Edmunds' Planet, finds Edmunds' probe and body and sends a signal back.

2154: Murph enters hypersleep at a station orbiting Earth, exits hypersleep at a sister station orbiting Saturn, told that Cooper was back and arrives two weeks later.

Second half of 2156: Cooper/TARS are recovered by the Rangers floating near Saturn. Cooper awakens in a hospital bed on Cooper Station, an O'Neill cylinder in orbit of Saturn. An administrator remarks to Cooper that he looks pretty good for a man of 124. Cooper visits Murph and says his final goodbyes on her deathbed, she tells him to find Brand. Cooper/TARS steal one of the sleek new craft to Edmunds' Planet.

Early 2157: Hypothetical rescue mission to Edmunds from Cooper Station. 6 months from wormhole.

The film does NOT run in chronological order.