Co-stars Who Didn't Get Along

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't know where you heard or read this, but this is simply not true. They even started a 3 year long love relationship after the film. They were very fond of eachother.

“I mean, God bless The Notebook. It introduced me to one of the great loves of my life. But people do Rachel and me a disservice by assuming we were anything like the people in that movie. Rachel and my love story is a hell of a lot more romantic than that.” - Gosling

-----------------------------------------

Many of these "on set" stories are just plain fiction by the way, so that's why I largely don't care about them. 95% is sheer gossip.
Actually it is true. They hated each other during filming, but eventually put their differences aside, and dated for a few years.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Laverne and Shirley - by the end of the series Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams wouldn't talk to each other.
Cindy Williams hated not just Penny Marshall but the show's creator and producer, Gary Marshall. He had made her audition for the part even though she'd played it before on Happy Days, he'd attempted to replace her with Gilda Radner, and she was pissed that Penny Marshall got her role simply by being his sister. Williams, who was at one time an acclaimed film actress, believed that her role on the shtick-y sitcom had damaged her career, and quit after a few seasons.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

True, there were some personal conflicts on Laverne & Shirley. But Cindy Williams has never said she hated Penny Marshal or Garry Marshal. I just seen an interview with Cindy a couple months ago and she said that she often goes to Penny's house and they get into bed and watch TV or talk. Seriously she said that...I guess Penny likes to lounge around. They are friends to this day.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
True, there were some personal conflicts on Laverne & Shirley. But Cindy Williams has never said she hated Penny Marshal or Garry Marshal. I just seen an interview with Cindy a couple months ago and she said that she often goes to Penny's house and they get into bed and watch TV or talk. Seriously she said that...I guess Penny likes to lounge around. They are friends to this day.
back in the 70's she loudly proclaimed her dislike of them. It's documented in a biography of Andy Kaufman, who was a friend of hers. She's since made peace, I'd imagine.

Speaking of Gene Kelly being hard to get along with and being a notorious taskmaster in regard to Debbie Reynolds, I read a short tale on IMDB that says: Gene Kelly insulted Debbie Reynolds for not being able to dance. Fred Astaire, who was hanging around the studio, found her crying under a piano and helped her with her dancing. Also it said: After they finished the "Good Morning" number, Debbie Reynolds had to be carried to her dressing room because she had burst some blood vessels in her feet. Despite her hard work on the "Good Morning" number, Gene Kelly decided that someone should dub her tap sounds, so he went into a dubbing room to dub the sound of her feet as well as his own.

Another one that I can cite from IMDB, says this about Kelly, Astaire, and Cyd Charisse: Tony Martin the husband of MGM star/dancer Cyd Charisse said he could tell who she had been dancing with that day on an MGM set. If she came home covered with bruises on her, it was the very physically-demanding Gene Kelly, if not it was the smooth and agile Fred Astaire.

I guess Debbie was very forgiving for IMDB quotes Kelly saying this: [on his working experience with Debbie Reynolds while filming Singin' in the Rain (1952)] I wasn't nice to Debbie. It's a wonder she still speaks to me.

Despite this, I still like Kelly's work, and can see that, even though he was a jerk sometimes, that and the hard work paid off. But so did Astaire's and he didn't have to push people around. From what I've read, he was hard on himself and just would practice and practice till he was satisfied with his own work. He trusted the other people to be able to do their job.

If this is true, why did she leave the show?

I have heard a lot of stories about the tension on the set of A Countess from Hong Kong and this was another time that the tension between the stars showed onscreen IMO...one of the unfunniest comedies I have ever seen.

Speaking of Gene Kelly being hard to get along with and being a notorious taskmaster in regard to Debbie Reynolds, I read a short tale on IMDB that says: Gene Kelly insulted Debbie Reynolds for not being able to dance. Fred Astaire, who was hanging around the studio, found her crying under a piano and helped her with her dancing. Also it said: After they finished the "Good Morning" number, Debbie Reynolds had to be carried to her dressing room because she had burst some blood vessels in her feet. Despite her hard work on the "Good Morning" number, Gene Kelly decided that someone should dub her tap sounds, so he went into a dubbing room to dub the sound of her feet as well as his own.

Another one that I can cite from IMDB, says this about Kelly, Astaire, and Cyd Charisse: Tony Martin the husband of MGM star/dancer Cyd Charisse said he could tell who she had been dancing with that day on an MGM set. If she came home covered with bruises on her, it was the very physically-demanding Gene Kelly, if not it was the smooth and agile Fred Astaire.

I guess Debbie was very forgiving for IMDB quotes Kelly saying this: [on his working experience with Debbie Reynolds while filming Singin' in the Rain (1952)] I wasn't nice to Debbie. It's a wonder she still speaks to me.

Despite this, I still like Kelly's work, and can see that, even though he was a jerk sometimes, that and the hard work paid off. But so did Astaire's and he didn't have to push people around. From what I've read, he was hard on himself and just would practice and practice till he was satisfied with his own work. He trusted the other people to be able to do their job.
I'm surprised I have never heard stories about problems when Astaire and Kelly were filming "The Babbitt and the Bromide" for Ziegfeld Follies.

All I can figure is that Astaire didn't let Kelly's reputation as a hardass get in the way with his own professionalism. Even later, in 1976, Kelly would direct That's Entertainment, Part II, and Astaire appeared in the movie with him in linking segments and they, as I recall, did a little dancing together. Not officially dancing in a movie-movie, but a compilation flick. But still, Fred seemed to have no problem appearing alongside Gene.

If this is true, why did she leave the show?
The seventh season was finished and the contract was up. Cindy Williams did a few episodes of season 8 but left when she became pregnant. Actually she worked pregnant for a long time. She then took a break from acting to raise her child.

I've read the same thing about Astaire...he was a perfectionist and was VERY hard on himself and insisted on as many takes as necessary to have a dance look exactly as he wanted, but I have never heard complaints about him from co-stars...as far as potential co-stars are concerned, I know that Judy Garland had originally been cast opposite him in both The Barkeleys of Broadway and Royal Wedding and when she started her well-documented unprofessional regarding being on the set on time, etc. Astaire was not having that and was very vocal about her being replaced.

That's sadly all too true about Judy Garland being unpredictable and not showing up, holding up production. I don't blame Fred for not wanting to wait for her. She was also canned from Annie Get Your Gun (1950) and replaced by Betty Hutton. That is one of my favorite musicals and I can't imagine anyone but Betty doing the role. There is footage on the DVD of some of Judy's scenes. I loved Judy Garland but I just think it would have been a completely different movie with her, no disrespect meant to Judy.

There is talk that the reason that Judy became hooked on pills is that she was a bit chunky when she first started out in movies and the studio put her on diet pills so she'd lose weight and look better on camera. They didn't, however, help her get off the pills. I haven't read a book about her life, but from everything I've heard on documentaries and reading on the internet over the years, that seems to be the case.

That's sadly all too true about Judy Garland being unpredictable and not showing up, holding up production. I don't blame Fred for not wanting to wait for her. She was also canned from Annie Get Your Gun (1950) and replaced by Betty Hutton. That is one of my favorite musicals and I can't imagine anyone but Betty doing the role. There is footage on the DVD of some of Judy's scenes. I loved Judy Garland but I just think it would have been a completely different movie with her, no disrespect meant to Judy.

There is talk that the reason that Judy became hooked on pills is that she was a bit chunky when she first started out in movies and the studio put her on diet pills so she'd lose weight and look better on camera. They didn't, however, help her get off the pills. I haven't read a book about her life, but from everything I've heard on documentaries and reading on the internet over the years, that seems to be the case.
Annie Get Your Gun definitely would have been a different movie if Judy had done it, but I don't think that means it would have been necessarily a bad thing...I've seen the footage that Garland did film for the movie and she was clearly in no shape to work, but Garland in prime working condition, would have been wonderful in the role. I love to imagine what she would have done with "They Say That Falling in Love", which was Hutton's weakest moment. Also, I'm not sure about Howard Keel as a leading man...she and Keel never worked together and I just don't see a lot of chemistry there.

Yeah, MGM's obsession with keeping Judy thin is pretty much what ended up killing the woman...I have always been of the belief that if MGM had just let Judy be fat, she would still be alive today. But Judy took the pills because she wanted to be a star but more than that, Judy wanted to be pretty. Judy was obsessed with women like Lana Turner and Ava Gardner and wanted to look like them. Her romance with Vincente Minnelli actually began because Vincente made her look so beautiful in Meet Me in St. Louis ...she loved the way she looked in that movie and her gratitude morphed into a romance, despite Vincente's rumored bisexuality, rumors Judy chose to ignore.

Back in the mid 1950's Phil Silvers starred as Sgt. Bilko on The Phil Silvers TV series which was also known as You'll Never get Rich.

One of his co-stars was Maurice Gosfield who played the down and out Pvt. Doberman.

Silvers couldn't stand Gosfield.

He said that most of the time many buttons on his uniform was never buttoned.

He also said that he was sloppy.

But best of all Gosfield would come to the studio late claiming such excuses as that he tripped on a piece of paper!.

But with all that said they had that special magic that made the show a hit for four seasons.

Danny Dyer and Vinnie Jones. Also Jorma Taccone and Danny McBride.

Cheap to hit a man when he is not defending himself.
So something you'd expect a ******** to do, yes? Yep. Sounds about right to me.