The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Wasn't a big fan of No Country For Old Men. If I completely honest it bored the life out of me. But I know there are alot of people who do like it and I can understand why, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Drive however I love. It made my top 100 favourites aswell so glad to see it here.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Why don't you like going to the movies? I love going! Yeah the prices suck but I try to go whenever I can. I also don't get anything from the concession stand, which saves a lot.
I don't care about the money; I just get really angry if there's any ignorant people, plus I'm a smoker.

I wasn't crazy about Drive or No Country for Old Men the first time I saw them. Now I love both of them, especially the latter.

I've always loved Apocalypse Now.

Only saw A Thin Red Line once and couldn't get that into it. Maybe now I could now that I'm more mature.

Wasn't a big fan of No Country For Old Men. If I completely honest it bored the life out of me. But I know there are alot of people who do like it and I can understand why, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Drive however I love. It made my top 100 favourites aswell so glad to see it here.
You're in the minority sorry to say lol, but I can understand why. If someone can't stand slower paced movies then I can't imagine them liking No Country that much.

Agreed with Drive, a big thumbs up!

I don't care about the money; I just get really angry if there's any ignorant people, plus I'm a smoker.

I wasn't crazy about Drive or No Country for Old Men the first time I saw them. Now I love both of them, especially the latter.

I've always loved Apocalypse Now.

Only saw A Thin Red Line once and couldn't get that into it. Maybe now I could now that I'm more mature.
Yeah I don't know, it's very rare when I go to the theater and there's someone being loud and obnoxious. Do you live in a big city? It's probably a more common occurrence there.

Oh and definitely give Thin Red Line another shot if you can. I remember watching it when I was a lot younger and turning it off near the beginning (I think it was because I had something to do though, not that I was necessarily bored of it) and didn't get back to it till years later. When I watched it I knew my younger self wouldn't have liked it. And if you are willing to spend some money, I recommend getting the Criterion edition blu ray. Their transfer makes the cinematography look absolutely amazing.

Love NCFOM and Apocalypse Now! Drive is in my view one of the most overrated movies ever. This particular mix of arthouse and action didn't do it for me anyway.

Here's four more for ya:

64. No Country For Old Men (2007) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 8.1

One of the absolute best movies of the past 10 years.
Couldn't agree more

However I got bored out of my mind watching Drive... I felt the whole movie was just Ryan Gosling staring at the camera. I wanted to give up a few times but I don't like not finishing movies

Couldn't agree more

However I got bored out of my mind watching Drive... I felt the whole movie was just Ryan Gosling staring at the camera.
It's the sister film to Only God Forgives, which see's Gosling just walking around aimlessly like a zombie.

A bit iffy on that set, I really like Drive and think NCFOM is a nifty thriller (though a rewatch is needed, same goes for Apoco). The Thin Red Line on the other hand, is meh, beautiful visuals but a weak narrative. Common for Malick.

Thanks all that posted recently, but I need to get to the next 3!!!

60. Spirited Away (2001) RT Score: 97% IMDB Score: 8.6

The most praised film of animation legend Hayao Miyazaki and considered one of the best animated films ever, Spirited Away is a spellbinding journey through a world filled with wonderful animation and imaginative imagery. An amazing film that's great for anyone, regardless of their age.

59. Fargo (1995) RT Score: 94% IMDB Score: 8.2

One of the best films by the Coen brothers (hard to say if it's the best though since they also did No Country For Old Men) that takes an ingenious idea of taking a distinct region in northern Minnesota, where the people are laid back and violent crime is basically non-existent and having terrible things happen in it such as kidnapping and murder. The dialogue and acting (the distinct northern accents especially) sets this crime drama apart from so many others. I also gotta say that I like this movie even more because it spawned the awesome TV show that began airing just last year. Definitely recommend that if you haven't seen it.

58. Tokyo Drifter (1966) RT Score: 100% IMDB Score: 7.3

A short but very sweet Yakuza film by Japanese New-Wave director Seijun Suzuki. Many people prefer his other masterpiece Branded To Kill which is also very good but I hands-down prefer this one. A non-stop thrill ride with colorful imagery, very well done action especially for its time and some laugh out loud moments such as the bar fight scene.

Never heard of Tokyo Drifter-I added it to my 60's watchlist.

Spirited Away was barely ok for me. Nothing wrong with the movie; I just have a hard time with fantasy.

Love Fargo!

Never heard of Tokyo Drifter-I added it to my 60's watchlist.

Spirited Away was barely ok for me. Nothing wrong with the movie; I just have a hard time with fantasy.

Love Fargo!
Do see Tokyo Drifter, I also recommend Branded To Kill which was the director's next film a year later and that's his most praised film actually.

I have no recollection of where I heard of Branded to Kill before, but that's already on my watchlist.
I'd be interested in what you think of both whenever you see them. They're both under 90 minutes so they're quick watches.

There's still a ton of movies I've yet to see from last year, but as of right now, The Raid 2 is my favorite. One of the best action movies to come along in many, many years.

Saving Private Ryan is an excellent film and possibly my favorite Spielberg.

District 9 is another great movie and one of the better science-fiction films in recent memory. Blomkamp seems to have already lost his way a bit, which is disappointing, since I really dig the look and feel of his films and appreciate that he has something to say beyond simply entertaining audiences.

No Country for Old Men is a favorite of mine, too. Anton Chigurh is one of the all-time great movie villains. I love the script, the performances, the western aesthetic. It surprises me to see Optimus or anyone else say that they were bored by the film, since I'm on the edge of my seat with every viewing.

Apocalypse Now is a top five favorite of mine. Greatest movie ever made, in my opinion.

Love Drive.

There are moments of breath-taking beauty and brilliance in The Thin Red Line, but then there are also moments of annoying pretentiousness when Malick crawls too far up his own bunghole. In other words, Classic Malick.

Of the few Miyazaki films I've seen, Spirited Away is definitely the best. I don't love it, but I can why so many people rave about it. Highly imaginative and gorgeous animation.

Fargo is okay. I'm going to give it a second chance sometime soon, since it's been years since I last watched it and I've grown very fond of the Coen Brothers. I agree with you about the show. It's one of the best single seasons of a television show I've seen. Hopefully any future seasons can maintain the same level of quality.

Not seen Tokyo Drifter, but it looks pretty cool so I'll add it to my watch list.

Real glad that you agree with most of my picks so far Captain Spalding, always interested in everyone's thoughts about the list.

And here are the next 3!!!

57. The Patriot (2000) RT Score: 62% IMDB Score: 7.1

Kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, it's a movie I watched many times since I was young. It's very interesting seeing a movie about the Revolutionary War—even if it is fictitious. The battle scenes are extremely well done and I always enjoy Mel Gibson.

56. Dog Soldiers (2002) RT Score: 77% IMDB Score: 6.9

One of my favorite b-horror movies. A good cast and the movie is undeniably entertaining. The plot is that a squad of British soldiers in training were suppose to rendezvous with another squad in the Scottish Highlands, but instead stumble upon a house surrounded by werewolves. The soldiers occupy the house and have to fend off the werewolves until dawn. Very fun, and the werewolves also look pretty menacing for a b-movie:

55. Prisoners (2013) RT Score: 82% IMDB Score: 8.1

One of the best mystery thrillers of the past few years. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal are great in this. Like any good mystery, Prisoners twists and turns until it comes to conclusions that you least expected. Definitely worth a watch!

Dog Soldiers is a great choice. It nails that claustrophobic feel.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if many people on here had watched it, it's cool to know at least 1 person did.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if many people on here had watched it, it's cool to know at least 1 person did.
As far as I know Dog Soldiers is fairly popular.

Personally I wasn't a fan, but then again it might need a rewatch, since I didn't go into it thinking of it as a B-flick back then.