The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Same cast for both and again for the new one. I remember 86 being particularly good.
Oh nice! That makes me want to see them a lot more.

La Haine used to be my favourite movie when I was a teenager. Still a very impressive document.

I liked La Haine, but it didn't stand out for me.

The Departed is a favorite-definitely my kind of movie.

I plan on watching The Fifth Element, but I don't think I'm going to like it.

Master of My Domain
BOOOO because of The Departed, but I love the other two.

Excellent and eclectic list so far, False Writer! After starting with The Punisher and Underworld, I never would've expected later entries to include Bicycle Thieves and Harakiri. These are the best kinds of lists, in my opinion, ones that include a wide variety of films, from highbrow to lowbrow, guilty pleasures to critical darlings, childhood favorites to recent obsessions.

There are too many films for me to comment individually, but I've seen almost every entry and there isn't a bad one in the bunch, even if I prefer some much more than others. I wish Seven Samurai, Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver and The Bridge on the River Kwai were a lot higher, but for at least putting them on your list.

Excellent and eclectic list so far, False Writer! After starting with The Punisher and Underworld, I never would've expected later entries to include Bicycle Thieves and Harakiri. These are the best kinds of lists, in my opinion, ones that include a wide variety of films, from highbrow to lowbrow, guilty pleasures to critical darlings, childhood favorites to recent obsessions.

There are too many films for me to comment individually, but I've seen almost every entry and there isn't a bad one in the bunch, even if I prefer some much more than others. I wish Seven Samurai, Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver and The Bridge on the River Kwai were a lot higher, but for at least putting them on your list.
Thanks Captain Spaulding, I really appreciate the positive comments! I knew that when I did a top 100 that it'd be kinda "all over the place" and I was sometimes tempted to put in some movies over others cause they were the more "revered" ones but quickly decided not to. I thought it'd be a lot more interesting to see what people said about the not-so-revered picks.

Chugachugachugging along.

67. The Raid 2 (2014) RT Score: 79% IMDB Score: 8.1

Just like the first Raid, The Raid 2 has some of the most amazingly brutal and chaotic fight scenes you'll ever see. This sequel is very different in terms of story and structure but still keeps the insane action and even ramps it up a few notches. In doing so even becoming more violent than its predecessor. A must-see for any fan of martial arts or action.

66. Saving Private Ryan (1998) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 8.6

This Steven Spielberg film is probably the most recognized and popular war movie, and with good reason. I ranked the Omaha Beach Landing number 2 on my Top 25 Movie Battles, noting it's emotionally powerful sequences. Though the D-Day sequence is undoubtedly its most praised scene, the rest of the film, while fictional, never lets up. The final battle where it all comes together is in many ways equal to the beginning battle's emotion and heart.

65. District 9 (2009) RT Score: 90% IMDB Score: 8

An exciting and original sci-fi flick. This movie depicts what would happen if a spaceship full of famished and helpless aliens landed on earth. In South Africa, they create ghettos for the aliens to reside in, where they obsess over cat food. Then a human working within one of the ghettos, District 9, contracts a virus that slowly turns him into one of the aliens. With nowhere to run, he has to turn to the species that he always looked down upon in hopes of finding a cure. Excellent action, drama and cgi makes this a thrilling watch.

The Departed, Grand Budapest, Whiplash, Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, District 9, Saving Private Ryan... great list and quite diverse, I like that You already posted quite a few movies that I love... I'm curious what's coming up next... these lists are so good for finding new things to watch I heard The Raid 1 & 2 are really good but haven't gotten around to watching them yet

The Departed, Grand Budapest, Whiplash, Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, District 9, Saving Private Ryan... great list and quite diverse, I like that You already posted quite a few movies that I love... I'm curious what's coming up next... these lists are so good for finding new things to watch I heard The Raid 1 & 2 are really good but haven't gotten around to watching them yet
Thanks NatashaR! I'm glad you're enjoying it. And yeah I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend The Raid movies if you're into martial arts/fighting films.

Really enjoyed The Raid 2 and District 9.

Saving Private Ryan is so very impressive, but I didn't enjoy it a whole lot when I saw it at the movies. It could be partly due to it's length, and the fact that I saw it out. I don't like going to the movies anymore.

District 9's a nice unusual kind of flick. Elysium was alright but not as good. Killers, a later movie from the The Raid director was amazing though! Have you seen it?

Really enjoyed The Raid 2 and District 9.

Saving Private Ryan is so very impressive, but I didn't enjoy it a whole lot when I saw it at the movies. It could be partly due to it's length, and the fact that I saw it out. I don't like going to the movies anymore.
Why don't you like going to the movies? I love going! Yeah the prices suck but I try to go whenever I can. I also don't get anything from the concession stand, which saves a lot.

District 9's a nice unusual kind of flick. Elysium was alright but not as good. Killers, a later movie from the The Raid director was amazing though! Have you seen it?
Nah I don't think I've heard of that one. I wasn't aware that he already had something out after The Raid 2. Nice, I'll try to check it out!

Nah I don't think I've heard of that one. I wasn't aware that he already had something out after The Raid 2. Nice, I'll try to check it out!
Sorry he isn't the director, but executive producer. Eitherway worth a watch!

Coincidentally, Saving Private Ryan and District 9's final battles are a lot alike. Well, the former is more on the defensive but still.

Here's four more for ya:

64. No Country For Old Men (2007) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 8.1

One of the absolute best movies of the past 10 years. This winner of 4 Academy Awards (including Best Picture) strikes a chord with its brutal violence and eerily quiet atmosphere. Javier Bardem's character will haunt you long after you finish watching it, portraying the perfect psychopathic killer that you'd never, ever want to meet. Him and Josh Brolin perform one of the best cat and mouse pursuits ever put to film.

63. Apocalypse Now (1979) RT Score: 99% IMDB Score: 8.5

A much-lauded masterpiece that reportedly took a great toll on the people making it, but it just might've been worth it. Apocalypse Now tells a story unlike any other, adapting Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness and putting the events into the Vietnam war. Martin Sheen plays an emotionally distraught Captain Willard as he is sent to find and kill Colonel Kurtz, who is played by Marlon Brando, in Cambodia. An amazing film filled to the brim with unforgettable scenes, dialogue, and inner strife during production (as seen in the documentary)

64. Drive (2011) RT Score: 93% IMDB Score: 7.8

Ryan Gosling's Driver has to be one of the coolest movie characters of the 21st century. Scenes of high tensioned car chases and excessively brutal violence accentuates the Driver's calm, righteous demeanor while trying to protect his new-found love interest and her beloved son from Jewish mobsters. An awesome film that caters to both mainstream action and art house movie fans.

63. The Thin Red Line (1998) RT Score: 79% IMDB Score: 7.6

As with any Terrence Malick film, The Thin Red Line isn't just about war but also a very personal journey of the soldiers fighting in the battle of Guadacanal during WWII. The philosophical voice overs are accompanied by downright beautiful cinematography that gives an otherworldly effect. Those Malick staples greatly complement the other elements you'd expect from a war film. This is the second most underrated war film that I've seen, and feel that it should see more praise.