Optimus 100 favourite movies

→ in
Tools    

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Holy crap, you are surely optimizing the greatness of your list here?

Seriously though, once again we got some great movies on our hands! T2 is not only one of the greatest sequels ever made, but as an adventurous action movie it beats out its competition with ease. One of the few sequels who can compare you also got there on your list, and that is of course Aliens! A movie I just had the pleasure of experiencing on the big screen - what a joy that was!

Then there's Fight Club, a movie that just gets better and better with each viewing because of its elegantly structured story with so much detail that you won't ever catch everything with one watch. A crazy film, and a crazy-good film as well... The Mist is the odd one out here in my opinion, because though I like it, it is a little campy (probably done purposely) and a little "meh" especially against the others you have there.

But overall another great combo of movies, Optimus, with short and precise write-ups!

4 great films! I also enjoyed The Mist and thought the ending was very well done and different.

It's been a long time since I commented in here, so this might take awhile . . .

I respect Raging Bull more than I like it. Technically speaking, it's arguably Scorsese's greatest accomplishment and De Niro gives one of the most powerful performance of all-time, yet as a huge fan of both men, I feel somewhat guilty for not liking the movie more than I do. So far I've only seen the movie once, but I bought a two-disc special edition a few months ago so that I can watch it a few more times and hopefully fall in love with it. After all, it took me a second viewing to fall in love with Apocalypse Now and Aguirre, the Wrath of God and several others that I now consider all-time favorites, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Raging Bull follows the same pattern. As a Scorsese fan, it's good to see Goodfellas and The Departed also appear on your list.

Jurassic Park is a fun movie that I haven't seen in probably 15+ years. Ever since JayDee reviewed it awhile back, I've been meaning to revisit it to see how it holds up.

Never seen Navy Seals. It looks like Red Dawn, which is another movie I haven't seen. If there's one thing lacking in my cinematic knowledge, it's tiger blood. I've seen very few of Charlie Sheen's films, even beloved ones like Young Guns and Major League.

Seeing Grindhouse in theaters with the double bill and the fake trailers and commercials is one of the most fun experiences I've had in a theater. Even though I enjoyed Death Proof on that initial viewing, I was still pretty disappointed. My estimation of it rose after seeing the extended version on DVD, which inserted some of the best scenes in the film that were missing in the theatrical cut. I agree with QT that it's his weakest film (and by a sizable margin, too). The dialogue lacks his usual panache and some scenes drag on far too long, but the car chase is edge-of-your-seat amazing and I very much enjoy the look and feel of the film.

I watched the entire Lethal Weapon series for the first time a few months ago. I thought the first film was great and one of the most essential examples of a buddy-cop film. The second one was also a lot of fun and very entertaining. Then I thought the series took a major nosedive with the third and fourth entries.

I think Jaws is a very good film, but I have no particular love for it.

Unforgiven is one of the best films to show up on your list so far. An essential western and a perfect swan song for Eastwood as a gunslinger. It deconstructs the western myth and brings it into the real world while still delivering enough quick-draw action and patented Eastwood stare downs to conjure fond memories of the Man With No Name. For me, Unforgiven is a Top 20 favorite.

The Dark Knight and Fight Club are two of the most overrated movies of our time. I like both movies, but the amount of praise they get is unwarranted, in my opinion.

Toy Story 2 made my list for the Animated Films Countdown, although I don't like it as much as the first film. Shoot Em Up is a fun, silly, ridiculously over-the-top action film, although I've never had any desire to revisit it. Battleship is terrible, but you already know that.

Donnie Brasco is a very underrated gangster film, although I don't know if I'd be as fond of it if I didn't already have such a man crush on Johnny Depp. Cool to see it so high on your list.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the better summer blockbusters to come along in recent memory. I remember before its release when everyone, including myself, assumed it would suck, then it came out and greatly surpassed everyone's expectations. It's great to see a blockbuster put so much emphasis on its characters, even if those characters are CGI apes. Last year's Dawn was also very good, although I still prefer Rise by a slight margin.

I watched True Romance after discovering Pulp Fiction and subsequently becoming obsessed with everything Quentin Tarantino, but I found the movie somewhat disappointing. I don't remember much about it anymore, so I need to give it another chance.

Prometheus was such a huge disappointment for me. In terms of visual splendor, the film is incredibly impressive, but the script is terrible. I'm not usually one to complain about the actions of characters in films, but when you've got scientists going all coochie-coo on deadly-looking alien serpents, well, it's hard not to roll your eyes.

I haven't seen Face/Off since I was a kid, but I used to like it a lot, although I preferred Con Air and The Rock from around the same time period. It's hard to go wrong with The Cage, although apparently most people disagree with that statement.

Not a fan of any of the Fast and Furious movies, but several members have been singing their praises lately, so you're not alone in loving them.

Terminator 2 and Aliens are two of the greatest action films of all-time, two of the greatest sequels of all-time, and two of the greatest science-films of all-time. Needless to say, they're both pretty bad ass. Of the two, I prefer Terminator 2, which is the best of its series, whereas I will always prefer the claustrophobic horror of Alien to its balls-to-the-wall, shoot-em-up sequel.

I love The Mist, which features one of my favorite endings of all-time. I keep meaning to watch the black-and-white version that came with the two-disc DVD I bought, since that's how Darabont intended the film to be shown and I'm sure it helps to hide some of the dodgy CGI.

Phew. That was exhausting.

By the way, I'm glad you switched back to your old format. Even if you just write two or three sentences, I'd rather read your own thoughts on your favorites rather than impersonal movie trivia.

I wrote something a little longer than just a quick reply, and thought it had a decent length, and then Spaulding just comes in and dominates it all! Those write-ups are too awesome Spaulding!

Master of My Domain
Wow, I feel totally left out right now. My write-up, on my standards, is quite lengthy but soon after MM posts a longer write-up, then Captain Spaulding shows up and... bang! Optimus is blown away and doesn't give a damn about mine. . Also;
Just curious, are you a fan of it too?
Ahem.

Good to see Starred Up in a top 100! Watched The Guest yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Didn't make my list though. For the rest I like a few obvious ones on your list, but Frozen...really?

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Good to see Starred Up in a top 100! Watched The Guest yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Didn't make my list though. For the rest I like a few obvious ones on your list, but Frozen...really?
I really enjoyed Frozen. I thought it was Disney back at it's best with loveable characters and a great story. My little boy loves it and we sit and laugh watching it together all the time.

Master of My Domain
Optimus what I want is an answer to my question.

And no Spaulding's questions do not defeat me. I am the Great Inquisitor.

I really enjoyed Frozen. I thought it was Disney back at it's best with loveable characters and a great story. My little boy loves it and we sit and laugh watching it together all the time.
Fair enough. Maybe I didn't gave it a chance. Turned it off at the first song. There is so much more to watch. Maybe when I have kids...

Terminator 2 is easily the best Terminator movie in the franchise
I've been meaning to see this for ages... I enjoyed the first one quite a lot.

Fight Club is gritty, dark, brutal, and very strange and I love it. I've seen this movie about a dozen times now and I love it even more with each viewing.
I loved Fight Club, it's definitely in my top 100 as well... such a great cast and probably one of the best by David Fincher. I think I've only seen it once, or maybe twice so I want to rewatch it, but it's kinda hard to find a balance between new movies and rewatches.

Aliens is my favourite of the Alien franchise. Partly to do with the fact I love action movies and this is certainly that. With a mix of horror and action Aliens is just badass from the get go. I know a lot of people think the first movie is the strongest, but this will always mine.
I haven't seen the others in the franchise that came out after Aliens, but it's nice too see that someone agrees that the second one was better than the first

I took a quick look on your list and I was surprised to see Tokyo Drift on there... I love the franchise but I thought the third one was the weakest.
You have so many of my favorites in your list Lawless and Warrior are great choices... I think Tom Hardy is one of the best actors of the 'new generation' ( I don't know if that is an appropriate choice of words) and I'm looking forward to see how he evolves... I hope he'll keep making good choices.
The Lion King was also my favorite as a child... I had it on VHS and used to watch it over and over again haha. A few years ago when I visited the USA I had the chance to see it in the theater and it was still awesome and made me feel like a kid again.
Okay I'm gonna stop.. the post is getting too big.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
^^^^^

I like Tokoyo Drift just because it's a little different from the other Fast And Furious movies. It's probably the most cheesy out the lot, but I like that it's more about Car Racing than the action. It's sort of like a teen movie with cool cars and hot girls. .

I'd agree that Tom Hardy is one of the best actors around at the moment. His and Joel Edgerton's performances in Warrior where fantastic. I also love his performance in Bronson. Such a raw and talented actor.

And what , you haven't seen Terminator 2?. Getting watching it tonight.

Aliens has always been a favorite of mine. Not many movies can match the excitement it brings.

Love The Mist too, easily one of my favorite endings.

I like T2 less than I used to. I still think it's great, but I prefer the first one.

Didn't care much for Fight Club the first time, but it has really grown on me.