True Life Stories that should be movies

Tools    

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” -Mark Twain

What are some crazy real life stories that should or could make great films?

The one that made me think up this idea is the life of Charles Lindbergh. I'm sure Hollywood would screw it up because they would most likely paint the man as a hero and make the film bittersweet and overwrought, but his real life was so strange.

There's obviously his flight across the Atlantic and the kidnapping and murder of his son that the film would cover, but, if I were making it, I'd also include the fact that he promoted monogamy and publicly scorned other pilots for womanizing despite the fact that he had 7 children with three mistresses. He would often go months without seeing his wife and children and basically lived multiple lives at once.

I also think the story of the Servant Girl Murderer in 1880's Austin, Texas would make a good film. Especially if it tied itself to the theory that the killer was also Jack the Ripper as some people have suggested. I know that's more of a conspiratorial type story, but if they can make a film about the "magic bullet" that killed JFK, then they can make this story into a film.

So, what true stories are worth the big screen treatment?

The life of cinemaafficionado.
I didn't think you were around for that.

Good idea for a thread BB. I will have to give it some thought. I am not goid at thinking of these things off hand.

I've always wanted to see a film on the persecution of religious minorities in the Middle East.

Master of My Domain
I didn't think you were around for that.

Good idea for a thread BB. I will have to give it some thought. I am not goid at thinking of these things off hand.
I read the entire thread a few months ago. Hilarious stuff.

This guy would make for a badass Hollywoood movie - it'd make American Sniper look like a pussy

http://www.simohayha.com/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
In light of today's news I think the whole Amanda Knox/ Meredith Kercher murder and aftermath will make a great movie one day.

In light of today's news I think the whole Amanda Knox/ Meredith Kercher murder and aftermath will make a great movie one day.
I want to see that story as directed by David Fincher.

@90sAce Great find and I agree.

I want to see that story as directed by David Fincher.

@90sAce Great find and I agree.
Ooh like the idea of Fincher.

Would be super controversial if they didn't show the murder, and sort of left a few things open to interpretation, just sticking to the facts of what exactly happened afterwards, leaving the viewer to make up their own mind.

This guy would make for a badass Hollywoood movie - it'd make American Sniper look like a pussy

http://www.simohayha.com/
One of History's greatest badasses imo. Might be a little hard to make a great movie out of a guy hiding in trees for weeks/months shooting Germans though. Would probably have to tell it from the German side, and perhaps have "the white death" as a kind of phantom.

Has to be put to film at some point though. Epic read of a wiki page.

The one that made me think up this idea is the life of Charles Lindbergh. I'm sure Hollywood would screw it up...
They already made a film about him and I reviewed it here:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...=37050&page=26

I've always wanted to see a film on the persecution of religious minorities in the Middle East.
That's actually a good idea. Were you thinking about Zoroastrians in Iran by any chance?

That's actually a good idea. Were you thinking about Zoroastrians in Iran by any chance?
I haven't seen The Spirit of St. Louis, but I can't imagine it's accurate to Lindbergh's life. Especially if it's based on his autobiography. The things that are fascinating about him are the dark aspects of his life. His adultery and the kidnapping of his child. I know that's not flattering, but it's true and, IMO, truth is more interesting than romanticized versions of the truth.

The life story of Errol Flynn. Sent intelligence to the Nazis, and a debaucherer that would make the most legendary partying rock stars & celebrities awestruck.If all what they said is true, he's easily the biggest bastard that ever was in Hollywood.

One of History's greatest badasses imo. Might be a little hard to make a great movie out of a guy hiding in trees for weeks/months shooting Germans though. Would probably have to tell it from the German side, and perhaps have "the white death" as a kind of phantom.

Has to be put to film at some point though. Epic read of a wiki page.
Definitely. Not to mention this guy. A lone Japanese soldier who continued to fight WWII for 30 years after the war was officially over:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hiroo_Onoda

Copts in Egypt, Jews and even Muslims themselves in India and Burma.

The life story of Errol Flynn. Sent intelligence to the Nazis, and a debaucherer that would make the most legendary partying rock stars & celebrities awestruck.If all what they said is true, he's easily the biggest bastard that ever was in Hollywood.
I don't believe Errol Flynn was a Nazi sympathizer for a second. The rumor mill has been churning out crap since the dawn of time.

Definitely. Not to mention this guy. A lone Japanese soldier who continued to fight WWII for 30 years after the war was officially over
They did that one already on Gilligan's Island.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't know if I'd like them, but I heard Ron Howard and Russell Crowe were in talks to make a movie about Bill Hicks. Nobody could imitate Bill, but the upside of it would be that people who saw the film in a theater would go to youtube and check out the real thing.

They made the movie "Lenny" when they should have made a movie on Mort Sahl, whose life is very cinematic - started modern standup comedy in 1953, first entertainer to attack Joe McCarthy, JFK's father called Mort to write for JFK during 1960, and caught heat for continuing to attack the incumbent, saw a loss of work, then after JFK was killed, Mort joined Jim Garrison in New Orleans, etc etc..

I think they only made a movie on Lenny because he died.. He wasn't funny or profound. But there's a lot of sex and drugs and swearing, which shows the low taste, how that becomes a substitute for content.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Slow Bela-tarrian film with him waiting for his target in disguise, eating, cleaning his gun. All in snowy landscapes. That would be beautiful.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.