The 6th Hall Of Fame

Tools    

You do realize that there will always be a specialty HoF running now. Right now it's horror and noir. Some movies are just never going to win a standard HoF no matter what so the specIalty HoFs are there to represent those movies. I'm just hoping people keep that in mind when nominating movies.

Musicals have already proven they can't win a standard, science fiction might go over with the right crowd, but not many would be a winner, most animation isn't going to do well so these are why the specialty HoFs exist.
It's pretty obvious. I will not nominate anything exotic on future "normal" HoF because it's already plain obvious that genre movies and animation are out . In fact I should have noticed that a long time ago with Nausicaa and some very, well, ignorant comments on the movie, anyway, I am a bit of a stubborn person, who refuses to face reality repeatedly.

Sorry that I haven't been around lately. School has heated up for me, but since the deadline is June 14th I still am sure that I'll get around to finishing this up. But I mean to be safe, don't worry too much about getting to my submission to those of you that haven't.

Never participated in one of these before, but just curious.

Is there some 'theme' that the movies selected have in common, or are they just completely random choices? Because I see a war film alongside an animated Japanese film, and comparing films from completely different genres ain't exactly easy

Sometimes it's the inverse. Some great movies have poor ratings because they have been exposed to people who do not understand it. Some plain mediocre movies have high ratings because they adjust well with the current preferences of the masses (i.e. everything with Christopher Nolan's touch).
I'd say though part of a film's quality is related to it making it comprehensible to the audience.

So if a film isn't 'understandable' just because it's foreign and Westerners aren't familiar with the culture, that's a slightly different ballpark than a film being just plain confusing.

It's a general HOF. Participants each chose a film of any genre, era, or medium that they felt were worthy of being inducted.
How do you vote on which is "better" if you're comparing comedy films with serious dramas?

I vote based on how much I enjoyed each one. Same way I vote in any of the MoFo lists and same way I formulated my top 100. It's not that hard.

K-On is 7.3?

The world is full of Guaps... it's a mad, mad, mad world.
My reputation in this forum reached such a low degree that even idiots which I haven't interacted with already throw away insults at me.

Master of My Domain
My reputation in this forum reached such a low degree that even idiots which I haven't interacted with already throw away insults at me.
Guap, no, I was never trying to insult you. I see you bumping old posts and quoting them, and then be offended by whatever words the post has. I think you're just overly-defending yourself. You're living in a world of your own where you believe everyone hates you for loving anime and being different from others. And the truth is, we don't. I was only joking with my post and a lot of members were probably doing the same. Sorry for my post which could surely be taken seriously now that I look at it but it would be awesome if you lightened up a bit.

Also, if I'm a idiot who hasn't interacted with you yet, will interacting make it a bit better? Then I'll only be an idiot, which I already am.

Never participated in one of these before, but just curious.

Is there some 'theme' that the movies selected have in common, or are they just completely random choices? Because I see a war film alongside an animated Japanese film, and comparing films from completely different genres ain't exactly easy...
Ace, you might like to try a special Hof. Those have a more defined type of movies being watched. The next special Hof should either be the Creature Feature Hof or the Sci-Fi Hof, it's not clear yet which one will be next. I'll will be joining the Sci-Fi Hof. Do you like Sci-Fi?

When it's a mainstream movie, I tend to trust IMDb ratings... When it's not, I don't even look at it!
IMDB ratings provide generally good information about movies. For instance, among anime films the highest rated ones are indeed the best ones IMO. The highest rated American movies are indeed excellent in general as well.

But I agree that for relatively obscure movies (like the one I nominated for this HoF) the ratings don't provide good info. And that there are natural biases (mainstream Hollywood movies will have higher ratings than obscure non-English movies, which is expected because it's an english speaking site hence people there are mostly from the English speaking countries and prefer movies that reflect their own culture).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll give Fail-Safe a watch a bit later today. After that one then I will have four films left, and two possible rewatches that I'll try to get to if time permits.

How is everyone coming? We still have plenty of time but 16 movies is a bunch and I don't want to have to extend. Really not fair to the people who watch consistently. I have two left. I will be honest and say it hasn't been my favorite HOF, but there haven't been any absolute duds either, so that's nice.

Everyone check in and let us know where you're at. If you need help getting a hold of something there are always people willing to help with that as well, not me, but people.

I keep forgetting that this is still going. Slowpokes!
Some are letting the brilliance of Rushmore sink in so they can properly rank their films.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
How is everyone coming? We still have plenty of time but 16 movies is a bunch and I don't want to have to extend. Really not fair to the people who watch consistently. I have two left. I will be honest and say it hasn't been my favorite HOF, but there haven't been any absolute duds either, so that's nice.

Everyone check in and let us know where you're at. If you need help getting a hold of something there are always people willing to help with that as well, not me, but people.
I have 8 left but I have more free time now than I had so I'll watch things quicker.
I can't find Ten! :/

2 left, my own and Das Boot. Going to make sure JJ will finish before I watch the latter as it's long and I've seen it multiple times already.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I finished watching all of the movies, and I've re-watched some of them. I could submit my list today if I had to, but there are a couple more movies that I want to re-watch before I submit my list.