In the mood for love

→ in
Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oh my god what a beautiful film.

This is an unrequited love story set in Hong Kong in the sixties, and everything about it aches. It aches in an expanding, loving, all embracing way. It slumbers and peaks painfully. It's god damn beautiful.
The two main characters live next door to each other in a slightly delapidated building. Married in traditional Hong Kong society, the woman's clothes may be striking sixties, the man's work-clothes a sharp shirt and tie, but the values are back-room whispers, the norms that clasp any society to their brest, no matter how progressive it all might seem. A friendship of sorts strikes up between them. They both share a love of films and script-writing, though you wouldn't know it at first from their oriental evasion and conceits. Their partners unseen for different reasons, the two strike up a shy kinship. They write together, but nothing is happening of course - yet they take every step to hide their meetings.

But this is no self-referential film about film-making. It's a sumptuosly filmed story, yes. The editing echoes actions, the characters are self-conscious, the translations seem to fit perfectly with mood and context, and the wording is exquisitly balanced. But this isn't about what you write on the page. It's about the spaces inbetween. And these two actors draw round those spaces beautifully, draw through them and dissect them, and so have no need to spell it out. This is an exquisitely acted film.

And for that reason, and others, I can't tell you more. The reason for their meetings is a subplot barely worth mentioning. Their reticence an expression of their time. The music sings "perhaps perhaps perhaps", in spanish, with taunting cosmopolitan-ness. And at one point the man shares a thought with a stranger - he talks of the old tradition of carrying a secret into the mountains, carving a hole in a tree, whispering your secret into it, and then covering it with mud. It comes across better the way he says it. And to see what regrets and feelings might be buried in such a place, you'll have to watch it and find out now won't you .

I really really recommend it. (i must admit that i missed the very beginning of it, but there's something about the elongated tone of this movie that, despite the twists and turns that rise up from its yearning, that you can't help but feel you knew it all along)

Originally Posted by Golgot
Oh my god what a beautiful film.
Thank you for the review Golgot. I'll be waiting to see this movie now.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I was gonna recommend it to you Slay. I think it might be your kind of thing. I just saw it on tv tho so i think it's been out for a while. According to a tv review the actor Tony Leung won a gong at Cannes for his performance (tho Maggie Cheung was equally good. They're very balanced). It was released in 2000 it seems, and was directed by Wong Kar-Wai.

Put me in your pocket...
Here’s what I basically wrote in Kong’s thread “Show the love for Wong Kar-Wai”, with a little revamping.
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ight=Mood+Love

I loved In the Mood for Love. I thought it was beautifully done. There were times when a scene looked like piece of art. I loved the actor and actress in this also. They are refreshing to watch.

Wong Kar-Wai proved you can make a movie about love and desire without resorting to nudity and cheap thrills like Unfaithful and countless others. The only thing I wish he would have done differently is the ending. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'm not going to elaborate. I don’t think it’s a bad ending, I just have my own “ I only wish” sentiments.

It’s definately a must see.

Oh damn, is there a thread on this already. I searched but didn't find (the words love and mood turn up a lot ). Cheers Ani. (but I should've known Kong would've seen it )

EDIT: Ah, read it now, and i have to say i thought the ending was perfect for the film. The sentiment written at the end describes it beautifully as well i thought (if that's the right word).

Originally Posted by Golgot
Oh damn, is there a thread on this already. I searched but didn't find (the words love and mood turn up a lot ). Cheers Ani. (but I should've known Kong would've seen it )

EDIT: Ah, read it now, and i have to say i thought the ending was perfect for the film. The sentiment written at the end describes it beautifully as well i thought (if that's the right word).
Your thread is a review, his is in another section for director opinion. Your review is appropriate here.

Ah cool. I feel vindicated - but still, i could've just searched for "Kong" and i would've found both (hmm, might start calling him Hong now. A great big ape's got to be "hong" like anything after all. ...Alright, i might be pushing the rhyming thing now - reckon i've taken all the romance out of the thread too )

Great review Golgot… I will definitely add this one to my “to see” list… and I agree with Slay, it is a review so it does belong here…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
I'm sorry Golgot. I didn't mean to imply your review was in an inappropriate place. I loved your review, it was great. I just wanted to give Kong some recognition for his earlier thread also....even if it is in a different section. That's all. I'm sorry.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Good review Golgot. Kong loves this one as well. Wong Kar-Wai's film's, including this one, are just so incredibly intimate that it's hard not to get drawn in and wrapped up inside of them. His style is amazing.

If you haven't seen any of his other stuff, Kong strongly recommends doing so.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I have to admit that I haven't yet seen one film by Wong Kar-Wai. But it sounds like something I would find interesting. I like beautiful films.

Good one, Golgoat.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I have to admit that I haven't yet seen one film by Wong Kar-Wai. But it sounds like something I would find interesting. I like beautiful films.

Good one, Golgoat.
Ach, i've been bestialised again. Baah.

Cool, glad there's those that have seen this and that others would like to. I'll have to check out more of Wong Kar-Wai's stuff.

-incidently Kong, i think you and Lines mention repetitive music on the other thread. He does do that again in this film, with two main themes throughout, and only occasional dips into other songs on the radio etc (including a "chinese"/hong-kong version of "happy birthday to you", which just seems to have spread like a virus . very little traditional chinese music is used)

*Golgot flaps*

Is it Piddzilla season yet? Where's my rifle?

Hey, that was a short post! I'm trying not to fly off on one too much at moment

"In The Mood For Love" is Wong Kar Wai's most mature film, and is indeed great. His mixture of picture and sound come across as hypnotic and poetic. To a filmmaker his films are highly inspiring, and to the general audience, highly entertaining. To everyone, they come across as extremley eccentric.

"Chungking Express" was my favourite film of his, in fact, so good in my opinion, that it holds a place on my personal top ten list.

See "Chungking Express" please, and become a Wong Kar Wai supporter.

Asta Luego.

Never heard of it but it stil sounds like a good movie the plot sounds very interesting indeed!
I might had skiped this answear but what is it rated?
Thank you for telling us about this interesting movie!See you around!JM I know what I am looking forward to seeing!
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Hi
Hm..I just rented this.. damn mei ah dvd though..

Originally Posted by Tuna
Hm..I just rented this.. damn mei ah dvd though..
Tuna, is your dvd melting, or just your keyboard? If your dvd is giving you grief, that's a shame, coz this is a smoothly framed movie - needs to be seen in all it's sheeny-ness.

Erm, and Jackie, if that question about rating was to me, i give it five kipper ties and three silk shirts . It's a wardrobe's worth of good film (might even knock your pants off )