Reading Tab

Tools    

Picked up this book for 50p in a charity shop - Wine and War by Don and Petie Kladstrup , it turned out to be a good read.

I'm interested in wine already, it's part of my job to know what I'm looking at, but of course I like drinking it too but until I read this book I never gave much thought to what happened to the vineyards in France during the war. I've seen bottles of very old wine, well pre 1939 but never wondered how it survived. Now I know how hard the chateau owners and the French Resistance fought to protect their precious asset. There's amusing stories of tricks played on the Nazis, but there's also sad interviews with families whose relatives were sent to concentration camps or even shot for attempting to protect their livelihoods.

PMMM A Different Story

Spin-off manga of the TV series considered by some superior to the original TV series. I found it very good, in fact, manages to reproduce the particular atmosphere of PMMM better than that spinoff movie and overall a very worthwhile read for fans of the series.

10,820 pages

Yotsuba first 2 volumes (400 pages)

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (8 chapters, decided to drop it as it is becoming too boring, 160 pages)

accumulative total: 11,380 pages (never going to reach the 70,000 pages goal at this rate)

Got it

You got me curious, so I checked my goodreads stats. According to them I read 3246 pages in January. I'd guess about a thousand of that was comics. Latest stuff I've read:

Perfidia by James Ellroy
Sure, we love the Japs, but most of them aren't tub-thumping fascists like we are. A buck is a buck, and we're Americans first.

The Two Gentlemen of Verona
by William Shakespeare
Speed: Item, she hath no teeth.
Launce:I care not for that neither: because I love crusts.
Speed: Item, she is curst.
Launce: Well: the best is, she hath no teeth to bite.
Comics:

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library #12) by Carl Barks
Niji Iro Togarashi vol. 6-7 by Mitsuru Adachi

Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Vol. 1 by Michael Kupperman - (this is my favorite thing I've read so far this year.)

Niji Iro Togarashi, Vol.8 by Mitsuru Adachi

-----------------------------------------------------------

How to Solve It by George Polya
This process is so often used that it deserves a name. We could call it "proof from n to n + 1" or still simpler "passage to the next integer." Unfortunately, the accepted technical term is "mathematical induction." This name results from a random circumstance. The precise assertion that we have to prove may come from any source, and it is immaterial from the logical viewpoint what the source is. Now, in many cases, as in the case we just discussed here in detail, the source is induction, the assertion is found experimentally, and so the proof appears as a mathematical complement to induction; this explains the name.

"The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe - easy

I had actually never read any Poe before. When I was a kid someone read "The Raven" to me, but other than that I haven't personally familiarized myself with his work outside of things like the Corman/Price Poe adaptations and the Alan Parsons Project album of songs based on Poe stories. "The Tell-Tale Heart" was always my favorite story, based on the synopsis, and actually reading it I was pretty blown away. I'll be impressed if he can top this one. It is so awesomely macabre and such a good depiction of insanity. It is a flawless short story, in my opinion.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
"The Martian" by Andy Weir

I read this book in a matter of 2 days, it was definitely one of the better works of fiction I've read in a while. It's hard to believe this is the author's first published book. The story goes into the right amount of nerdy detail about the science/technical side of the subject matter without being boring or made to feel that you are reading a technical manual. There are a few moments throughout that I really found myself laughing out loud at. While technically a sci-fi book, I believe that even readers who don't seek out that genre would enjoy this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that hasn't read it yet.

Bunny Drop (finished) the last volume -
-

Get's weaker in the end, In fact, the plot turns around completely by the end, and Rin, the adopted daughter of Daikichi, grows up and becomes an adult, and falls in love with her adopted father. Extra points for weirdness.
+2 volumes (360 pages)

Yotsuba + 2 volumes
+

Dragonar Academy +2 volumes

Classified as Seinen it feels more like those shounen titles for horny teenagers. Really mediocre.

total: 1,080 pages

Since 6 days ago:

2 volumes of Yotsuba (400 pages)
+
Best manga I read since the end of Lone Wolf and Cub. FInished the 12 volumes of this saga.

2 volumes of Dragonar Academy (400 pages)
(it's really mediocre but since I brough 5 volumes of it I decided to read it all)

3 volumes of Nodame Cantabile (600 pages)
+
Overall continues to be very good but not exactly great, suffers from excessive use of manga tropes.

14,180 pages + 1,080 pages + 1,400 pages
= 16,660 pages

I have several novels I want to finish reading besides manga but now I am lacking the time for novels. Anyway I still think I might hit the 70,000 pages target considering I will get some days off the next few weeks plus summer vacations.

Trying to read Animal Farm by Orwell at the minute.....so boring, hated 1984 too, not sure why I picked this up, ''classics'' always turn out boring too me.

Trying to read Animal Farm by Orwell at the minute.....so boring, hated 1984 too, not sure why I picked this up, ''classics'' always turn out boring too me.
Don't read them then! I'd argue with your classification of Orwell's work as boring , but each to their own. Life is far too short and there's far too many books out there for you to be reading ones you consider boring

aww I liked it.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Two things I'm reading atm. Almost finished with Shakespear's Hamlet. So far it is ****ing glorious, so damn good. I'm also about 60 pages into The Catcher in the Rye. So far I am loving everything about it. Next I'm thinking about either reading something from Tolstoy or Dostoyeski, or maybe Proust? I'm not sure where to begin.

I only recently really got into literature, maybe a year ago or so. I never really read before that. The best I have read so far is anything from Hemmingway, but the greatest novel I ever read has to be Lolita.

Welcome to the human race...
On the Road -

I guess I need more from my books than just three hundred pages of a bunch of white guys traveling around America romanticising the frick out of everything they come across.