Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

If.... (1968)

Pretty good, but a bit of a disappointment for me as I was hoping for more intensity, and it wasn't nearly as shocking as I expected. Malcolm McDowell is always fun to watch.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Chappie - 7/10

Chappie is the latest action / sci-fi outting from the director of District 9 and Elysium. And even though it has three times the ambition of either of those movies, it sadly has only 1/3 the focus. Of the movie's three major conflicts (engineer vs engineer, engineer vs gang, gang vs gang) there was only room for two. Despite this, however, it was a lot of fun and definitely a lot meatier than most other movies of its kind, even better ones. I typed up my full review here.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 5/10

I rewatched this as part of a tribute to Leonard Nimoy. People say that this is the best Star Trek movie, but I don't see it. Spock's death is touching to even a cursory fan of the series like me. The redoubled focus on character interaction over increasingly convoluted plot is likewise refreshing. Khan never worked in the movie for me, relying more on his reputation from the series than anything that he actually does on screen. I posted my full review here.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 6/10

As ridiculous as it - and as a movie it is utterly absurd - this was my favorite of the series. It focused on the absurdly fun antics of the Enterprise crew in modern-day San Francisco and Kirk and Spock's sometimes strained friendship. Plus, you know, they saved the humpback whales! My full review is posted on Unrealitymag.com.

Streetwise (1984)

This is an Academy Award nominated documentary spotlighting a group of homeless youths in Seattle. It felt monotonous at times, but it is effectively bleak. It ends with the funeral for one of the kids so that is certainly upsetting.

If.... (1968)

Pretty good, but a bit of a disappointment for me as I was hoping for more intensity, and it wasn't nearly as shocking as I expected. Malcolm McDowell is always fun to watch.

How much shock do you need to make it a shocker! The film (almost) ended Lindsey Anderson's career as a filmmaker...

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Viridiana (1961)

It's my first Buñel and I really liked it! I really liked the first half of the story, but I didn't care for the second.
However, it's in the second where some of the best scenes are and where the critic to society and religion is more obvious. It also must have something to do with the Franco regime in Spain, to which Buñuel was strongly opposed but I don't know that much about Spain's history to establish a strong connection.
It has an amazing sountrack and it's incredibly well-shot!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Walkabout (Roeg) - 5/10 - Maybe it's cause I'm sick, but I felt uneasy throughout that entire film.

Letter Never Sent (1960) - Mikhail Kalatozov

Some of the effects and excessive use of music (both of which were unfitting at times) got into my nerves at times...but visually, a masterpiece...stunning, very powerful...

8 out of 10

Cactus Flower (1969)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

ROLLERBALL (1975)

A movie is what you bring to it. Won't try and explain all the reasons i enjoyed this film. Love baseball, basketball, & football (american), although my most successful sport as a player was lacrosse. It freed you up with physicality, hand-eye-coordination, and let you use a weapon *lacrosse rod* as well as hit people. This film captures the psyche of a competitor, and presents a futuristic sci-fi sports tale. Starring James Caan, wearing #6, leader of the Houston Rollerball Power team. Blood & guts. Brutal games, bashed in faces. Corporate interests vs the individual. This film has everything for me. Granting half-a-point-to-grow
You like poetry?
Why don't you come upstairs,
i got a poem for ya

Rating:
+ 9.5 / 10

Lola Versus (2012)

2/5

A few enjoyable moments but as much as I like Greta Gerwig, I didn't care for her character, Lola, or most of the others in the movie. Reminded me of Frances Ha. I recommend watching that instead of this.

I am a pretty big fan of Gosling, especially after seeing him in "A Place Behind the Pines". Just like that movie, this one is also quote impressive. Solid cast performances, and gripping tension is well sustained throughout the entire film. Really enjoyed it.

4 / 5

Movie Enthusiast
Love, Rosie = 6/10