Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

@Arcanis
Watch Freddy vs Jason is very nice imo ! Whole fun

Lord High Filmquisitor
I've seen and love it. It's really nothing but a massive Monster Mash, but it's the best version of the exact movie that it wants to be. Both icons get their day in the sun, their fight was incredibly fun and the human victims aren't quite as stock as they were in the latter installment of either franchise.

The plan is to actually rewatch the Friday the 13th remake, then work our way through all of the Nightmare on Elml Street movies, then cap that off with Freddy vs Jason.

Jason Takes Manhattan is the only one I've seen outside of the first two, all I remember is that it bored me to death. The Jason films aren't good on any level IMO, not even as ridiculous films to sit and laugh at.

Unregistered User

The Silence (1963)

Hard to rate this one. For me it's not top tier Bergman but I definately need to let it sink in a bit. THere are certainly a lot of underlying issues here. Still loved it though.

Cul-De-Sac (1966) - Roman Polanski

Early Polanski always impressed me more, but this didn't work for me...

5 out of 10

The Match Factory Girl (1990)

This is a pretty dour movie with not much spark, although it's realism and believability were it's main pluses for me. The acting is good as well. I've seen this described as minimalist; more often than not, that simply tells me that not much happens, and is a sign for me to run the other way. It stays interesting, and with a 68 minute running time, it's short enough to keep me from getting bored, yet not long enough to get me completely involved. It's on the Ebert list and has a pretty good rep, so I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from trying it, but it was just ok for me.

Dersu Uzala (1975) - Akira Kurosawa

Nice Adventure from Kurosawa...but that second half seemed to drag a little bit and ultimately came to an obvious ending...

7.5 out of 10

End of Kurosawa for me...saw 24 of his in last one month or so, the rest I didn't find...those belonged to the 1940s...out of these 24 I find at least 8 films that I can call masterpieces. I am not sure if I can say that about many directors (Red Beard, High and Low, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Ikiru, Rashomon, Ran and Kagemusha).

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Plastic (2014)

Bad acting, cringey moments, and lame action, but yet still rather entertaining.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Foxcatcher (2014)

Steve Carell is truly remarkable and disturbing as the wealthy philanthropist and wrestling enthusiast John Du Pont.

Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo deliver solid performances as Olympic Gold Medal winning wrestlers and siblings, Mark and Dave Schultz, who are hired by Du Pont to lead his wrestling team into the championships.

I thought the movie was amazing, and definitely the best movie for its 3 leading stars.

The Imitation Game
Morten Tyldum
A good movie with a solid storyline played by great actors, but I definitely wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Entertaining and very interesting, but wouldn't re-watch.
+

Lord High Filmquisitor
Steve Carell is truly remarkable and disturbing as the wealthy philanthropist and wrestling enthusiast John Du Pont.
For as awesome as Carell was, he was really the worst of the three principle actors. And how he could be considered lead instead of Tatum is beyond me. That being said, Foxcatcher was probably the best acted movie of 2014.

I'm glad that you liked it so much.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The performances in Foxcatcher are good, but I was disappointed we didn't get to see why DuPont became such a whack job. I think they could have shown more abuse of Mark just to know why Mark hated DuPont so much after awhile too.

I thought there were loads of subtle indications as to why he became crazy. I think its kind of realistic that it can't be pin pointed to specific things, there's not really a turning point, just a culmination of lots of different elements. The pressure from his mother, the want to be successful, be a leader, to be respected and 'normal' despite his family status, etc.

Yeah, I love how quiet and subtle Foxcatcher is. Everything is internalized in these men. There is no one big loud conflict that turns things. I loved the movie and thought Carell was great. All three were great in fact.

Friday the 13th remake ...just another slasher film . Nothing special. I give it a c+ I thought some of the death scenes were pretty cool..iwhen Jason threw the ax at that one teenagers back..I'll give them some credit for that.

I thought there were loads of subtle indications as to why he became crazy. I think its kind of realistic that it can't be pin pointed to specific things, there's not really a turning point, just a culmination of lots of different elements. The pressure from his mother, the want to be successful, be a leader, to be respected and 'normal' despite his family status, etc.
I thought the movie explained why Du Pont's character was psychopathic.

He was crazy because of his solitary life on the farm, and the way his mother brought him up to be a horse-loving feminine wimp. He becomes enthused with shooting guns and wrestling because he sees them as areas in his personality (masculinity) that are lacking. He is envious of Dave Schultz for being what he views as the ideal man and symbol of masculinity, a wrestling coach, mentor and father figure to his younger brother, and family man.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

Haven't been rating many movies lately but I think everyone should give this a watch. Although, in my view, there's an unnecessary, poorly chosen epilogue, this movie is so very powerful on several levels. A real standout I won't forget.