Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This movie was immensely terrifying! There was a good moment about 45-50 minutes in where I said "Ok, I'm scared", haha...Which with horror movies of late, isn't a very common thing at all...But this movie was very good and delivering suspense and extreme creepiness to the audience!

4/5
Awesome movie ! the best horror of the decade.

The Raid 2 (2014)

Overlong, and I'm not a huge fan of martial-arts, but this is an action and violence extravaganza.

Very happy that you actually appreciate the movie !

Z (1969)

That's a tough rating; I'm not a huge fan of political films but this drama/thriller is surely one of the best. I don't know anything about it's accuracy, but it's based on actual events. Basically, you have an incident, and then the investigation/cover-up, but that is selling it short because it is a unique film. Z was the first movie to garner Academy Award nominations for both best foreign language film, and best picture.

The Great Dictator (1940)

I'd seen this as a youngster and remembered little of it, save that I enjoyed it. On re-watching it, I enjoyed it again, on a different level. The first portion is mainly slapstick and is hilarious, with the second half getting more serious and ending with Chaplin's famous plea for peace and brotherhood. As a kid, the reality of the treatment of the Jewish people by the Nazis went straight over my head. This time it had me wondering, "should I be enjoying this?" since it was part comedy also. But I went with it because of Chaplin's vision and by the end I saw what a great movie it indeed was.

Draft Day (2014)

Kevin Costner has been on a comeback recently, appearing in more and more high profile films.

Draft Day received mostly positive reviews when it came out, and was compared to Brad Pitt's Moneyball.

To make a long story short, Moneyball was very entertaining, but Draft Day lagged and was a bit too boring for me.

Ivan Reitman is the director. He's come a long way since his 80's and 90's hits like Stripes, Ghostbusters, Twins, and Kindergarten Cop. Too bad he isn't relevant anymore.

The Lazarus Effect - 5/10

This is the first real let-down for the otherwise immaculate Blumhouse Productions. It's like their version of Pixar's Cars: not strictly speaking terrible, but certainly bad enough to destroy the myth of unerring perfection that they've cloaked themselves in thus far. It was an unfrightening string of missed opportunities populated by poorly rendered and developed characters. It could have been extraordinary, and yet feels like a somewhat better version of Event Horizon / darker version of Lucy.

For anybody who's interested, I have a full review of the film up here.
Going through their filmography there are a lot of stinkers they released.

Sansho The Bailiff (1954) - Kenji Mizoguchi

Excellent and painful...

8.5 out of 10

Unregistered User

Inherent Vice

Absolutely loved it!!

The Fox and the Hound (1981)

Devil's Due (2014)

Current rating on IMDB for this is a paltry 4.0! I thought was certainly better than that although I can see reasons for the low score.

Jules and Jim (1962)

This is the story of a long time love triangle between two best friends and an unpredictable woman played by Jeanne Moreau. Most of the first half was just ok for me, as it was lighthearted and enjoyable. It wasn't until the movie took on a more serious tone with the inevitable emotional complications, that the movie really took off. It's a really well done movie.

Antonio Das Mortes (1969)

This Brazilian film is on the top 100 Westerns list. It has an authentic feel and a nice ending, but it didn't do much for me otherwise. Maybe someone who knows of the history and culture would appreciate it more.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Jules and Jim (1962)

This is the story of a long time love triangle between two best friends and an unpredictable woman played by Jeanne Moreau. Most of the first half was just ok for me, as it was lighthearted and enjoyable. It wasn't until the movie took on a more serious tone with the inevitable emotional complications, that the movie really took off. It's a really well done movie.

Totally agree with your review. I preferred the serious stuff as well.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Barefoot in the Park (1967) - 3/10

You can tell this was made first for the theater, and first by writing, as there are some nice writing exchanges, but it doesn't translate. I thought Jane Fonda was pretty awful, Redford was decent, his subdued acting was needed for Jane's hysteria, overreacting, ruckus over nothing. There was a lot of repeating... The "going up to the stairs" fiasco took half of the movie. It tries to play real, when almost every second is fiction.

And then to top it off, I hear a voice not familiar, as it was disguised with an accent, but I could tell just by the rhythm it had to be Charles Boyer. His face was disguised, and I look at the DVD cover, it was him... I didn't like him in Gaslight, Algiers, and this film. Different roles, but he's always annoying, with his little soliloquies.

I saw this film many years ago, and just wanted to test it on me as a 32-year old.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Barefoot in the Park (1967) - 3/10

You can tell this was made first for the theater, and first by writing, as there are some nice writing exchanges, but it doesn't translate. I thought Jane Fonda was pretty awful, Redford was decent, his subdued acting was needed for Jane's hysteria, overreacting, ruckus over nothing. There was a lot of repeating... The "going up to the stairs" fiasco took half of the movie. It tries to play real, when almost every second is fiction.

And then to top it off, I hear a voice not familiar, as it was disguised with an accent, but I could tell just by the rhythm it had to be Charles Boyer. His face was disguised, and I look at the DVD cover, it was him... I didn't like him in Gaslight, Algiers, and this film. Different roles, but he's always annoying, with his little soliloquies.

I saw this film many years ago, and just wanted to test it on me as a 32-year old.

Sad to see this rating. Barefoot in the Park is one of my favorite movies.

After a long break I'm finally back with a new full-length movie review in my Cinema Review thread. One that has been long overdue...

- CLICK HERE TO READ MY REVIEW OF WHIPLASH -

...and if you missed my last big diary update, which I just edited with detailed reviews, you can view that HERE.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

While I can watch a musical and enjoy it, I prefer ones where the actors/singers don't just break out into a song for no reason. I like to have a little story with drama/comedy to go along with the songs. And that is why I liked the GDo1933 quite a bit. It stars Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, Warren William, Guy Kibbee, and a very young Ginger Rogers. The usual forbidden love, let's put on a show (Broadway this time), mistaken identity, and everything wrapped up in a bow by the end, all augmented by great Busby Berkeley musical/dance set pieces.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - Robert Rodriguez

- Awesome movie never seen it before and I really appreciate it. Whole fun and nice acting by Clooney and Tarantino. Love It.