Magnificent Seven remake in the works

Tools    

Director Antoine Fuqua is signed to direct a remake of the Western 'The Magnificent Seven," reuniting his "Training Day" actors, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. Also set to appear in the film are Chris Pratt and Hailey Bennett.

Here's a bit more of what IMDB says about the remake:

"Screenwriters John Lee Hancock ("Saving Mr. Banks") and Nic Pizzolatto (a double WGA winner for HBO's "True Detective") base their script on Kurosawa's 1954 "Seven Samurai" written by Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto and Hideo Oguni. That tale of seven gunslingers banding together to protect a destitute village from blood-seeking bandits was first remade in 1960 as "The Magnificent Seven" directed by John Sturges and starring Steven McQueen.

So, what do all of you think? Another "remakes are a bad thing?" or "remakes are okay as long as they're done well?" or "they should not touch this movie!"

As for myself, "The Magnificent Seven" from 1960 is one of my favorite movies, but they've had at least three sequels to follow that one, along with a TV-series from 1998 that lasted two seasons. It really doesn't ruin things for me because I have the Sturges movie on DVD and can go back to it anytime, whether or not this one hits big or bombs. And I am a fan of Denzel Washington and director Fuqua, so I'm going to play "wait and see."

Interesting news. I really don't mind a remake since like you said TM7 has had a lot of sequels and spinoffs, and of course the original itself was a western remake of Seven Samurai.

Fuqua is pretty hit and miss, but I don't mind him directing. Denzel and Hawke will be cool for the roles. Pratt seems like a cool choice and I'm not familiar with Bennett. It'll be really interesting to see who else they get for the Seven.

Is the Cast already known for the movie?

Thanks for sharing - I wouldn't mind seeing more Westerns, since the genre's fallen out of it's former popularity it'd be a nice refreshing change from the typical lineup.

After watching Seven Samurai, the classic western Magnificent Seven became unwatchable for me. This might be good though

I would have had a few different casting changes in this. Washington and Pratt are fine but would have put Bale in The Ethan Hawk Role and Viggo Mortensen as the Villain.

I have to return some videotapes...
Didn't watch the trailer, but from the cast I am expecting this to at least be entertaining. Hoping this is a return for Fuqua because he's fallen off for me recently.

I would have had a few different casting changes in this. Washington and Pratt are fine but would have put Bale in The Ethan Hawk Role and Viggo Mortensen as the Villain.

Mortensen's western Appaloosa was awful and Bale's western remake 3:10 was also awful.
2 good actors, but westerns aren't their thing at all.

Its Not the movie per say but if they were cast in the right roles. I think Bale or Mortensen would be good in an assemble piece like a Magnificent Seven. So your telling me Ethan Hawke is the best option.