The Movies

Tools    

The point of this game is really simple. You found your own Movie Production company, and with that you make movies. Find a cast, name the movie, hype it up, write a script and release it to see what comes of the movie. If it's good it will gross high up and receive more and more money. If it's bad it will crumble. Distribution companies [will be fictional] will be handle by me, and the money you make will also be moderated by me. Everyone starts off with a fixed amount of money, lists that will be updated from time to time will be released showing the top grossing films and actors [with their salary and price along with their strengths and weaknesses] Produce hype threads that will draw people to the film, and finally release the movie [just a story].

Who thinks this could be a good idea?

Master of My Domain
A few questions I want to ask:

- What is the standard of a good film or a bad film in this game?

- How will you decide the amount of gross a film makes specifically?

- Does the cast need to be real actors?

What a strange "game." You've been here one day and you create this game where we give you movie ideas? And your game has no clear, objective point, except for us to spend a lot of time coming up with stuff that apparently you'll be the judge of as good/successful or not so good and successful.(?) Even coming up with silly, throw-away junk for the amusement of the members here takes time. Why should anyone spend that time giving away ideas? This is like that post from Africa or wherever that was asking people for movie ideas.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This could work as a game but it needs a lot of tweaking. It would be better if everyone had a certain amount of money to spend to go to these imaginary movies and the one that makes the most money that way wins. People could sign up to be movie goers and have enough money to see two movies.

Like Kaplan said this needs a lot more thought put into it though. Like rules and guidelines to make the movies. There is a beginning to a fun game here possibly, the idea just needs to be fleshed out a lot more. Like it should probably be played in rounds instead of just arbitrarily beginning and ending.

One person deciding the winner just wouldn't work. That isn't going to entice people to play, I think.

I say if you want this to be a game that works, put more details in to it and maybe ask for suggestions. I think it's a good idea that needs better gameplay.

Yeah it could be cool if done properly and in the spirit of the community here, but as others have pointed out, you have one post so it's not exactly clear what your intentions are...

What a strange "game." You've been here one day and you create this game where we give you movie ideas? And your game has no clear, objective point, except for us to spend a lot of time coming up with stuff that apparently you'll be the judge of as good/successful or not so good and successful.(?) Even coming up with silly, throw-away junk for the amusement of the members here takes time. Why should anyone spend that time giving away ideas? This is like that post from Africa or wherever that was asking people for movie ideas.
Actually, the judger isn't going to be me it's going to be the people who read it. After reading it they give the movie a certain rating either in stars or out of 10. You receive "money" based on the reviews you receive. The point is after the season is up the person with the most successful movies wins the season.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why would I need movie ideas? I made this game up because I was looking for something fun to do with other members.

I'll post an example in a short while.

Actually, the judger isn't going to be me it's going to be the people who read it. After reading it they give the movie a certain rating either in stars or out of 10. You receive "money" based on the reviews you receive. The point is after the season is up the person with the most successful movies wins the season.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why would I need movie ideas? I made this game up because I was looking for something fun to do with other members.

I'll post an example in a short while.
I don't know why you would need movie ideas, but you wouldn't be the first to ask for them. You just showed up, and we don't know you.

Well, good luck with your game, I guess.

Before I post an example, I would just like to clear up anything I didn't elaborate on earlier.

- You will start off with a budget of $1 Million
- You aren't supposed to write a full blown script, just a simple story.
- Users will rate the movie in stars or out of ten. Players aren't allowed to rate the movie to keep it fair.
- For every vote that's above 5/10 or ** you will receive $500,000. If you don't receive any reviews you'll get $100,000 for every review given from a committee of moderators of the game.
- [Fictional] Distribution companies [which will be controlled by members who have chosen to sign up for the spot] can come to you and work out a deal. This will increase the money you receive from good reviews
- Fictional and real actors will be available. They will be listed along with their cost [how much you need to pay] along with their weaknesses and strengths [example will be posted]
- Crew [directors and producers are not included] are given a price for the quality of work they produce [Bad crew - $5,000, Great - $500,000]
-Directors and Producers are not included in this game [at the moment] as you are the director and producer of the films.
- You can specialize in certain genre's which will increase the amount of money you receive from reviews if you make a movie in that genre.
- Hyping up the movie with posters and other means of hyping will increase the amount of money you receive from reviews [good or bad]

I'll include more in the sign up thread, and I'm open to suggestions and questions.

Master of My Domain
Even though you laid out the specific rules and all I'm still not certain about this game being successful or even being smoothly operational.

The games we usually play are simple, easy to understand but fun ones that are not time consuming. A lot of people on this forum are busy adults, some with a family that don't have time to create imaginary scripts and manage their movie by creating advertising threads and posts.

I do like the originality and it's potential, but it's too grand and a mess to be properly functional and realistic to play by writing down stuff on a keyboard. Once again fun idea, but it should be used on something such as a video game, not an Internet forum.

May change my opinion when I see a good example though. But until then I'm not on board.

I agree. This game doesn't really sound fun anymore. I guess the best thing to do is to kill it.

I'm going to start this up again. I'll post a movie story, soon.

I like this idea a lot, but like Godogo I think it needs tweaking/simplifying to ensure thread flow. Why not lose the budget restrictions and just let people go wild with their imaginations?

You could just have the movie title, director, certificate, genre, one line plot summary with ten cast members and their roles.