Neill Blomkamp to direct Alien sequel (Alien: Covenant)

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
And it has nothing to do with Ridley Scott's sequel to Prometheus

Sci-fi fans rejoice: Neill Blomkamp — lauded director of District 9 and the upcoming Chappie — is set to helm a sequel to Alien.

Blomkamp heavily promoted his new take on the Alien franchise when he posted concept art on Instagram two months ago. But Blomkamp seemed to suggest then that his ideas wouldn’t be put on film anytime soon. “Was working on this. Don’t think I am anymore. Love it though,” he wrote at the time. “Woulda rocked.”

Now it turns out that Blomkamp will get his own spin on the classic horror-sci-fi crossover after all, per a new Instagram post. (Variety confirmed the deal.)

Original star Sigourney Weaver even told MTV two days ago that Blomkamp shared his ideas for the Alien film with her during the filming of Chappie and that she would be open to starring in the film. “If it was someone as talented as Neill, I’d certainly listen,” she said.

In a somewhat confusing turn of events, Blomkamp’s film will be completely separate from the sequel to 2012’s Prometheus, which 20th Century Fox is making with original Alien creator Ridley Scott. Prometheus was a spiritual sequel to Alien and starred Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron.

Time article above featuring concept art

I love sound of this. Blomkamp's aesthetic seems like a natural fit for this universe.

Alright with me, District 9 is one of my all time favorites and Chappie is looking good.

One thing, I hope it's a return to the claustrophobic horror of Alien and Alien 3, rather than the gung-ho nature of the other instalments. I believe Neill can make it work in that regard.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm going to have to let Chappie tip the scales in how I feel about this. I've
seen two of his movies, one I loved and the other was dreadful.

If someone were to do it, as it looks like now, then I totally don't mind Neil Blomkamp. He is a fan, he knows how to do science fiction, and he is great director. Though, I have only seen District 9 and not Elysium which got mixed reviews, and I don't know how Chappie will be...

Elysium is complete rubbish but District 9 was pretty darned good... and many people don't realise that Prometheus isn't a sequel or prequel to Alien... it's a side story based around the shenanigans of Weyland-Yutani.

I think it's a good idea though to get a fresh director on board. Prometheus wasn't great but was watchable... Alien Resurrection was awful, so hopefully Blomkamp can bring the series back from its current downer.

I hope it is the greatest Alien movie ever...ever. That would give him enough juice to finally make the sequel to one of the best sci-fi movies ever.

Direct sequel to Aliens? So ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection? I'm okay with that.

Better not ignore Alien 3... Resurrection yes, but not Alien 3.

I've heard though that Alien 5 will be based after Prometheus 2 in terms of the universe timeline.

2089 - Prometheus
Somewhere between 2090-2095 - Prometheus 2 (Rapace and Fassbender are starring again)
Exact date unknown - *Blomkamp's Alien Movie (if not based here, it'll be below)
2122 - Alien
2179 - Aliens
2179 - Alien 3
Exact date unknown - *Blomkamp's Alien Movie
2380 - Alien Resurrection

I'd happily see Alien 3 struck from the records. I hated it at the cinema, and have re-evaluated it on dvd many times (both the theatrical and director's cut) to no avail. Fox (not Fincher) ruined the franchise after Cameron's film. I've come to the conclusion that Alien 3 would have worked better as an unrelated standalone piece with a different title and different characters - but of course that wouldn't have been good business. It's a good movie, it's just not a good Alien movie.

By killing Hicks and Newt off screen the writers undermined a lot of what the second film stood for. Instead we got a dingy misery trip with the only interesting character (played by Charles Dance) bumped off early; leaving us with a bunch of shaven headed convicts making it impossible to differentiate between characters, i.e. the complete antithesis of Cameron and Scott's films. The below image is so thrilling and sad at the same time because Weaver and Biehn are now too old to reprise their roles convincingly in my opinion. What a shame Blomkamp and some like minded execs weren't around back in the early nineties.

Master of My Domain
Like this whole idea. Blomkamp blew me away with District 9 and I'm eagerly waiting for Chappie. Elysium was a disappointment, but I wasn't physically repulsed by it like others. I think him being chosen to direct the next Alien movie will be a chance to not only use him to his full potential, but escape from the somewhat repetitive thing he does with sci-fi and elevate him to the second step of his career with more possibilities and potential.

Short Circuit wasn't rated R

That guy with the Alien avatar.
If Resurrection is ignored, it means there will be loose-ends, which means lazy writing. You can't just ignore Resurrection if you're directing the next Aliens sequel. Yes, it sucked, but it is there, and it needs to be corrected. Ignoring the error does not fix it. I pray that Blomkamp realizes this before going any further. And another thing, he usually co-writes his screenplays with Terri Tatchell, and the plot is usually painfully straightforward and lacking in the corkscrews, claustrophobia, and ingenuity of the original Alien. If it doesn't stick close to the saga's roots its also going to be a flop. He needs a good screenplay.