Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor

Nightcrawler - 9/10

Like Fury, my resistance to seeing this film was based purely on childish pettiness. I was upset that Fury wasn't a Nick Fury origin story and I was upset that Nightcrawler wasn't an X-Men spinoff. By the time that I finally came around to wanting to see it, it had already left theaters and I had to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Having now seen it, it is an absolute highlight of 2014, with Jake Gyllenhaal easily stealing the title of my favorite male performance away from Michael Keaton. His charming sociopath is utterly fascinating to watch develop: so disgustingly engaging that my girlfriend opted to go to bed rather than finish the movie while I couldn't possibly tear myself away from the screen.

Locke - 8/10

I really didn't know anything about this film going into it other than it was about Tom Hardy making phone calls in a car for an hour. One of the critics that I follow (and tend to agree with) listed it among his honorable mentions of best 2014 films and I snatched it up the second that I found it based off of that praise. And after having seen it now, I can honestly say that it is one of the better films from this last year and that Tom Hardy was just as robbed of an Oscar nomination as Jake Gyllenhaal. His one performance carries the entire weight of the film as he talks to people that we don't see and, oftentimes, the imagined ghost of his own father. It's a definite acting high point of the year and should be getting a lot more attention than it already has.

Predestination - 7.5/10

Utterly different from anything that I expected it to be and equally as fascinating, Predestination was one of the biggest surprises and yet most expectedly awesome films from this last year. It's intelligent, incredibly well acted and the most unique take on time travel since Looper. The paradoxical twist is simultaneously unexpected and makes perfect sense (as far as such things go). It's a definite must-see for sci-fi fans.

Work was slow today and had some free time so put on I've Loved You So Long. I've seen this a few times and never tire watching it. It's a superb 2008 French film starring Kristin Scott Thomas with Philippe Claudel in his directorial debut. It's a story about a woman released from prison after many years for a serious crime trying to adapt to life and reconnect with her family. I won't say more because don't want to give anything away. KST is amazing in the lead role and was nominated for many awards for her performance in this powerful and gripping drama. This and The English Patient are my two favorites of hers. If you like foreign films or don't mind subtitles I definitely recommend this. You won't be disappointed.

7.5/10

Unregistered User

Rushmore

Probably my favourite Wes Anderson, behind Mr Fox. In saying that, I'm not a huge fan overall of the director, however I did find this really funny.

The King and I (1956)

Breathless (1960)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Under the Skin (2014)

I REALLY enjoyed this...Such a unique role for ScarJo, unlike anything else I've ever seen her play. Really eerie and dark feel to this movie, was quite unnerving the whole way through!

4.5 / 5

Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) by Bela Tarr

My first Bela Tarr. People always told me that he is very difficult and hard to watch. Well, I have found it hard too - but hard not because it is complicated, but because it is unconventional. The film has taught me a thing or two. We say, let's cut - we are staying with that shot for too long - cut and move on. There is always a charge of narrative when we say these things. It is the narrative that decides that we must cut here and move on with the story. It is the narrative that tells us that we should not stay longer with this or that shot. But how do we decide where to cut and when to cut if there is no narrative in the traditional sense? How do we decide that we have stayed with one shot just enough? We can't just apply same yardstick for each and every film that we see. We can't blame Tarr for not telling a coherent story or not building a character properly, because it was never his intention to do so. And it is precisely here that we get challenged as viewers because of our age old habits of filmwatching (or anything else for that matter). Bela Tarr's film, like few others, challenged me and changed me.

Surely 9 out of 10

The ultimate movie of bad taste. Saw it at The Texas Theater. A historic spot in Dallas because this was seen in my row.

So yeah I am watching a drag queen engage in cannibalism and s**t eating sitting in the saw row Oswald sat after he shot Kennedy. Hell of a theatrical experience.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) by Bela Tarr

My first Bela Tarr. People always told me that he is very difficult and hard to watch. Well, I have found it hard too - but hard not because it is complicated, but because it is unconventional. The film has taught me a thing or two. We say, let's cut - we are staying with that shot for too long - cut and move on. There is always a charge of narrative when we say these things. It is the narrative that decides that we must cut here and move on with the story. It is the narrative that tells us that we should not stay longer with this or that shot. But how do we decide where to cut and when to cut if there is no narrative in the traditional sense? How do we decide that we have stayed with one shot just enough? We can't just apply same yardstick for each and every film that we see. We can't blame Tarr for not telling a coherent story or not building a character properly, because it was never his intention to do so. And it is precisely here that we get challenged as viewers because of our age old habits of filmwatching (or anything else for that matter). Bela Tarr's film, like few others, challenged me and changed me.

Surely 9 out of 10
The duration of the shot in Tarr is key to his films. It's not simply bravura or aethetic minimalism. The shot continues for so long as to implicate the viewer. In a short shot we are observing, in a medium length shot we end up participating, in a long take, we become implicated in the shot. We as viewers are now culpable to everything on screen (and in the off-screen space as well). The long take in Tarr is the viewer as God, and a God who challenges, oppresses, and destroyes at least as much as they create

Make a better place
I thought i was the only one who has watched that movie

It's weird, but somehow it works

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Next time I watch Werckmeister Harmonies, I will scream "Bow before me! I am your God!" to the screen.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
The Man From Earth (2007)

Thoughts posted in the Hall of Fame thread.
Interesting idea I thought but mediocre at best due to the pedestrian dialogue.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Return

Checked this one out because I remember Mark F giving it a damn solid rating-a
If I am correct. Overall I am quite impressed with the picture, especially with the film's two main leads. A film such as this could easily crumble if the kids actors aren't up to snuff, but luckily this wasn't the case. The plot follows two teenage brothers and what occurs when their father returns after a prolonged absence of 12-years. The plot is quite conventional, yet it never steers towards cliche because the director knows that not all things need to be explained. There is a potent air of mystery to the picture, and there are some subtle visual nods to the work of Tarkovsky. I praise the film's visual aesthetic as it is quite excellent. The shots are always nicely composed and lit. The ending was a bit "abrupt" however I am still processing it, so I can't mark it off as a criticism.

Need to check out Leviathan.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
The ending was a bit "abrupt" however I am still processing it, so I can't mark it off as a criticism.
Why do so many movies have ending problems? Maybe only a small amount do and I've been watching a lot of them lately.

Watched Waitress this morning. I adore this film. Has a good mix of romance, comedy, and drama. I love the witty and snappy dialogue and all the unique characters. Keri Russell is terrific and adorable as the star and Adrienne Shelly write and directs probably her best and last work yet before her death.

Anyone feel like a slice of Earl Murders Me Because I'm Having An Affair Pie?

7/10

Lord High Filmquisitor
Under the Skin (2014)

I REALLY enjoyed this...Such a unique role for ScarJo, unlike anything else I've ever seen her play. Really eerie and dark feel to this movie, was quite unnerving the whole way through!

4.5 / 5

It was probably the most interesting movie to come out last year. I definitely recommend checking out Enemy if you liked it.

Casablanca (1942)

Good night for a trip to Morocco. Ran guns to ethiopia, fought against the fascists in spain, strangely on the side of the underdog, winning bets for 10,000 francs, or was i misinformed? Sense one cannot miss the might of this film in all its soap-operaish splendor if one's ever been fool enough to really love another person. Just works better than all the others

Rating:
10.0 / 10

Be Kind Rewind - 3/10