Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

Not really underrated but definitely not as known as it should be: Big Nothing. Really. Watch it, it would be in my top 50 films.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I love Blake Edwards' S.O.B.. I recently watched it again, (for the umpteenth time), and I even edited my Favorites List in my profile to include it.

Great performances by a star-studded cast.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I don't think that I've said this already (and if I have, then I apologize for spamming my opinion), but I always thought that The Libertine was criminally underrated. It has an amazing cast - including the single greatest portrayal of King Charles II I've ever seen - interesting direction (the film only uses historically-accurate lighting) and has a great script based on the life of an immeasurably interesting man (my favorite historical figure, actually). I feel that its stark portrayal of his debaucherous life and the fact that it was "yet another Johnny Depp movie" in the wake of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just an idea, but it would be interesting (and maybe influential) if you also put down below your favorite movies...

I think almost every single Richard Brooks' film is underrated...

Most underrated movie - "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" - I have only met two people who have seen this movie, and one of the first things I ask a stranger is their favorite movies.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Just an idea, but it would be interesting (and maybe influential) if you also put down below your favorite movies...

I think almost every single Richard Brooks' film is underrated...
Most members list their fave movies in their profiles - the star to the right of the user name is a link. My second fave movie is Elmer Gantry.
Most underrated movie - "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" - I have only met two people who have seen this movie, and one of the first things I ask a stranger is their favorite movies.
There are four people in my house who have seen it.

the losers. I totally agree with Ebert's quote. Movie has a great cast. Only the team captain was a little mis-cast imo.
The movie gets the job done, and the actors show a lot of confidence in occupying that tricky middle ground between controlled satire and comic overkill. It's fun.
Scott Pilgrim. The intended audience is for those raised on video games, and is unapologetically located in Canada. The movie stays true to it's geeky roots without making compromises to be a more popular formula. It's written by the same guy who did Shaun of the dead and it's comedy and action are creative and polished. You can see from the disparity between critics vs users ratings in metacritic that it's underrated. it's a cult classic.

the losers. I totally agree with Ebert's quote. Movie has a great cast. Only the team captain was a little mis-cast imo.

Scott Pilgrim. The intended audience is for those raised on video games, and is unapologetically located in Canada. The movie stays true to it's geeky roots without making compromises to be a more popular formula. It's written by the same guy who did Shaun of the dead and it's comedy and action are creative and polished. You can see from the disparity between critics vs users ratings in metacritic that it's underrated. it's a cult classic.
I have to agree with you about Scott Pilgrim. It completely stayed true to its roots out a sense of integrity. The content alone was a huge risk given its limited audience. It was an incredibly brave movie to make and they really pulled it off. There are some phenomenal performances in the movie. I think this is the perfect example of an underrated movie.

I second The Apostle. It's a shame so many people didn't see it.

Mind explaining the main message of Instinct, firegod? I thought it stunk. Enlighten me.

My choice is A.I., one of the most haunting, profoundly disturbing movies I can think of, and one that has been roundly ignored by the general public, who usually embrace Spielberg's work with open arms. I sincerely believe that, along with 2001, A.I. is the greatest sci-fi film ever made, and one of the most provacative, fascinating, and emotionally resonant movies ever made.

...To be honest, I haven't met a single person that didn't enjoy O Brother Where Art Thou?
Loved The Apostle and not just because my father appears in the film as an extra. Hated A I with a white hot passion.

There is an existing thread that asked for underrated movies, actors and actresses. It can be found HERE.

As for some of my very favorite movies that are underrated critically as well as in a broader popular sense, here are ten I love unabashedly...

After Hours (1985 - Marty Scorsese)
Quick Change (1990 - Franklin & Murray)
Joe versus the Volcano (1990 - John Patrick Shanley)
Pennies From Heaven (1981 - Herbert Ross)
White Hunter, Black Heart (1990 - Clint Eastwood)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974 - Sam Peckinpah)
The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972 - John Huston)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
The Long Goodbye (1973 - Robert Altman)
They All Laughed (1981 - Peter Bogdanovich)
Nice to see some love for Quick Change, Pennies from Heaven, and They All Laughed...Joe Versus the Volcano was a steaming pile of crap, probably Tom Hanks' worst movie.

Starship Troopers (1997) - I grew up on 90s sci-fi movies, i really liked this movie. Although the second one is easily one of the worst movies i've ever seen this first one on it's own is one of my favorites. A lot of people bash this movie, but that is simply because they don't get the overall message of the movie.

Dawn of the Dead Remake (2004) - My favorite Snyder film and besides King Kong this easily one of the best remakes i've ever seen. Also my favorite zombie movie of all time.

Independence Day (1996) - What happens when you get Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum together against Aliens? Awesomeness that's what. Like i said before i'm a 90s sci-fi guy. Rating and critic wise this movie is a lot better than what most people give it. The special effects are very good and sci-fi movie-wise it is fantastic, this is my favorite Will Smith movie

The Way Way Back (2013) - One of the very first serious roles i've seen Steve Carell (I have yet to see Foxcatcher) in and he does pretty good. Easily my favorite Sam Rockwell film. A very fun little film.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - The best Tom Cruise movie i've seen since the last Mission Impossible, and also you can never get enough of the hot Emily Blunt

Phone Booth (2002) - One of my favs by Colin Farrell

The Butterfly Effect (2004)- The only decent movie i've seen Ashton Kutcher in

Observe and Report (2009) - Paul Blart on drugs, this is a personally one of my favorite Seth Rogen movies.

Land of the Dead (2005) - a very underrated Romero zombie film in my opinion

Land of the Lost (2009) - One of my favorite Will Ferrell movies, and it gets so much hate, it was a fun little film, obviously plot holes out the ass but still funny no-less

Starship Troopers (1997) - I grew up on 90s sci-fi movies, i really liked this movie. Although the second one is easily one of the worst movies i've ever seen this first one on it's own is one of my favorites. A lot of people bash this movie, but that is simply because they don't get the overall message of the movie.
OK, so know I have to ask....what was the message?

Phone Booth (2002) - One of my favs by Colin Farrell

The Butterfly Effect (2004)- The only decent movie i've seen Ashton Kutcher in

Observe and Report (2009) - Paul Blart on drugs, this is a personally one of my favorite Seth Rogen movies.

Land of the Lost (2009) - One of my favorite Will Ferrell movies, and it gets so much hate, it was a fun little film, obviously plot holes out the ass but still funny no-less
Totally agree !

watched the five- year engagement last week, it was funny... not great but definitely funny, deserves more than a 6.2 imdb but 62% metacritics is kind of fair i guess...

Freddy Got Fingered - Not good or a movie that I'm even a fan of, but overly trashed - most of the controversy was over the crude humor (ex. bestiality jokes) - but this was only about 5 minutes of screentime - if they had just aired a 'cut' version of this movie with 5 minutes edited out, it would've completely slipped under the radar, and probably no one would remember it at all

Selma's at 6.8 in IMDB. Its easily 7.3-7.5 stuff!

Matt, add me as another one who has seen They Shoot Horses Don't They?. My older sister took me to see lots of movies at the drive-in before I was able to drive and this was one of them. Such an intense, grueling movie that is so well-acted. One that is not easy to forget.

More here that y'all have mentioned:

Agree that Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is unfairly underrated. Such a fun movie.

The Apostle was also great. Duvall can do no wrong in my book. Love Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas may be a bit underrated out there in the world, but it seems a lot of people here love it, as do I. Land of the Dead---I can't understand the dislike for this awesome zombie flick...it's got everything you want from a zombie movie, plus the greatness of Dennis Hopper playing a Donald Trump-like millionaire.

For myself, I have to include two that are on my Top Ten list in my profile: The Ninth Configuration (1980)...an almost forgotten movie from 1980 that is about a castle in the Pacific Northwest that is an asylum for soldiers during the Vietnam war who may or may not be faking their mental illness. It's up to a new psychiatrist to determine who is or isn't really ill. He indulges their quirks, and meets one patient in particular who challenges his authority and intrigues him to no end. But, the new shrink has quirks himself and acts almost as crazy as the patients. It's a drama, no doubt, but is riddled with hilarious dialogue and circumstances that are caused by the patients. Just for one example and not really a spoiler: one group of patients are attempting to put on a Shakespeare play that is cast solely with dogs. This was written and directed by William Peter Blatty, who also has a cameo. I think this is the best thing he's ever done (yes, even over The Exorcist). I highly recommend this movie.

Another overlooked movie: Inside Moves (1980). The plot sounds simple enough: a failed suicide finds a bar near his rehabilitation center that is populated with men with various injuries, a lot of them permanent in nature. Although shy at first, he soon finds a home in the bar with this group of men who are all upbeat about their infirmities and joke all the time. He meets a man who becomes his best friend, the bartender, and their relationship is complicated by the bartender's self-pity and selfishness. He also meets a waitress he falls in love with. She's played by Diana Scarwid and she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress (but lost). The movie starts off as a downer but travels uphill all the way. One of the best films I've ever seen, mainly due to the acting and writing and directing by Richard Donner.

A.I
Joe vs the volcano
On borrowed time
Last action hero
Dan in real life
Little manhattan
The hudsucker proxy
The mosquito coast
The final countdown
Eight men out
Zodiac
Manhunter