Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Make a better place
Hey guys, frankly yeah, for some reason I don't or can't enjoy 60's and early 70's movies except Westerns, I don't know why

I feel guilty about it though

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Whiplash, 2014
Dir: Damien Chazelle

Just like the music the characters' lives revolve around, Whiplash is stylish, rhythmic and intense. It focuses on the student-teacher relationship between the ambitious, probably masochistic drummer Andrew Neyman (Miles Teller) and the ruthless, probably sadistic band conductor Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons). The former is driven to become "one of the greats" of jazz music, and is willing to strain his relationships, endure severe psychological abuse and draw both sweat and blood to achieve this greatness. The latter is driven to create one of the greats, and will throw everything from homophobic slurs to actual chairs at his students to push them beyond their limits.

Terence Fletcher crosses both moral and legal boundaries. Simmons' performance was stellar: a monster in a human body. Impossible to impress, extremely demanding for even the smallest of details. There is not an ounce of mercy in this character, just the idea (or maybe the delusion) that his disturbing methods will lead one of his students to greatness, and that is clear from the beginning of the film to the very end.

The final scene, the final battle, is one of the most ardent, intense scenes I have seen in the whole year. It was absolutely amazing. All of the hate, all of the passion, all of the ambition in Neyman were fiercely discharged into percussion in what became the climax of the film. It was both exciting and painful, and the exhilaration of it still lingers hours afterwards.

8/10

With Inherent Vice it really seems like one of my favourite directors kind of lost his originality, independance, and worst of all, his style. What happened PT Anderson?

Usually you have to see his movies many times to get all of it, but usually I also am fascinated already by first viewing. This time I was just bored and everything felt distanced and unneccesary... This is the farest from an Anderson film I've ever seen, but of course I'm gonna see it again, of course I'm gonna try and digg into it. But either there really isn't much there, or there is a lot, but buried freaking deep.

All this is not to sound too harsh, but this is simply my reaction on the first viewing.

Bad Boy Bubby

a film that will leave you in awe, a film that's a test of faith faced with taboos society face today, a man stripped of his humanity, isolated for 35 years, brainwashed and unaware of human morals or interactions. One of the greatest cinematic pieces to come out of Australia.

4/5

Zlaté Kapradí Aka The Golden Fern (1963)
This black and white film, with superb photography, intensifies the tragic tone of the story of betrayed love... A great fairy tale!

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Zlaté Kapradí Aka The Golden Fern (1963)
Finally! Somebody else seen this hidden gem!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

wanabe movie critique
Gone Girl: 8/10

Good plot.

U-571

7/10

Like a naval officer in parade dress on Veterans Day, this movie was positively bursting at the seams with patriotic fervor. However, I think the film managed to not stray into jingoist propaganda territory. The gripping suspense and masterful sound editing (Academy Award) redeemed any of the overzealousness some critics may have decried. There was also an interesting subplot where Lieutenant Tyler (Mcconaughey) overcomes his frustration at being snubbed for a promotion by developing into a hardened submarine captain who isn't afraid to make sacrifices for the good of the crew.

It is unfortunate that the fictitious plot about the US stealing the Enigma machine from a crippled German submarine completely elides the valor and heroism of British marines who were actually the first to capture an Enigma device in World War II.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
CitizenFour - N/A - I noticed someone putting a comedy show on this category, so here's a great documentary. I can't really grade a documentary other than to say it's worth watching - everyone (regardless of country) should see it. We can't live in any sort of free society when we're self-conscious that everything is being recorded (and it is)..

A Woman Under The Influence (Cassavetes) - 10/10 - Last night, I needed a guaranteed great film. I like this movie every time I see it, and discover something. The emotions I get only grow with this film.

With Inherent Vice it really seems like one of my favourite directors kind of lost his originality, independance, and worst of all, his style. What happened PT Anderson?

Usually you have to see his movies many times to get all of it, but usually I also am fascinated already by first viewing. This time I was just bored and everything felt distanced and unneccesary... This is the farest from an Anderson film I've ever seen, but of course I'm gonna see it again, of course I'm gonna try and digg into it. But either there really isn't much there, or there is a lot, but buried freaking deep.

All this is not to sound too harsh, but this is simply my reaction on the first viewing.
Not harsh at all... PTA is my favorite young director (not that it says much) and I felt Inherent Vice, The Master, and Punch-Drunk Love were just not good. But... I would consider "There Will Be Blood" the best film in the decade, and a Top 5-10 of all-time for me.

A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)

I really liked this movie. This is not like Liam Neeson's recent action movies like Taken. This is a dark, gritty crime thriller that's more about mood, and less about action and style. I don't think there's anything groundbreaking here, but this is the kind of movie that they don't make enough of anymore. I'm a big fan of basic crime thrillers, and I'd recommend this movie to anyone else who is.

The Guest (2014)

It gets pretty ridiculous and I hated the twist/explanation, but it's good, cheap fun. It's like a pumped up, R-rated Lifetime movie.