Rhys' Fabulous Viewing Diary of Fabulousness

→ in
Tools    

2nd/3rd February 2015 - Early Hours

Ferris Buellers Day Off (1986, John Hughes) - 7/10 - 2nd Watch

This is a good film and one that is very enjoyable, memorable and very rewatchable. However, for me it doesn't go too much beyond this.

4th February 2015

Torn Curtain (1966, Alfred Hitchcock) - 7.5/10 - CINEMA - 1st Watch

Although my knowledge on the cold war (and history in general to be honest) is quite limited I enjoyed this one after getting to grips with it. I still have a lot of Hitchcock to watch and I am looking forward to it.

Superbad (2007, Greg Mottola) - 7.5/10 - 4th Watch?

After watching this film with "a new set of eyes", I managed to enjoy this film even more than I have before, as well as understanding more of the jokes which was interesting (the Orson Welles gag comes to mind). I watched this one from 12:30am - 2:30 am or so with friends which was fun. Technically I watched this today. (5th February)

7th February 2015

Tangled (2010, Nathan Greno, Byron Howard) - 7.5/10 - 1st Watch

Fantastic animation, fantastic story and a fantastic movie. Easily one of my favorite modern disney films. A must watch.

I like Superbad, way funnier than The Hangover and The 40 Year Old Virgin.

WATCH WALKABOUT!

8th February 2015

Hercules (1997, Ron Clements, John Musker) - 6.5/10 - 2nd Watch

I didn't enjoy this as much the second time. I liked it but there are far better Disney films out there.

&

Mulan (1998, Tony Bancroft, Barry Cook) - 7/10 - 1st Watch

A great animated film that is probably a lot different to any other Disney works I have seen.

I watched these both with my girlfriend (she is wanting to watch a lot more Disney and I do too to be honest because I haven't seen all that much just yet). We also watched Tangled (it was her choice and I actually want to watch it again in the near future).

10th February 2015

A Trip to the Moon (1902, Georges Méliès) - 10/10- 1st Complete Watch

An incredible piece of early film making. Originally titled "Le voyage dans la lune" this short film uses fantastic early special effects, brilliant edding and cinematography. A true masterpeice.

The Great Train Robbery (1903, Edwin S. Porter) - 9/10- 2nd Watch

With some great camerawork and interesting uses of early techniques "The Great Train Robbery" is another brilliant early work.

Dream of a Rarebit Fiend (1906, Wallace McCutcheon, Edwin S. Porter) - 9/10- 1st Watch

Wow, this one uses some
REALLY interesting effects and is actually quite funny! Really enjoyed this one!

Rescued by Rover (1905,Lewin Fitzhamon, Cecil M. Hepworth) - 9/10- 1st Watch

This was a very nice short film and was actually quite impressive how they used the dog in my opinion. It has quite a dark premise and uses some very sterotypical values but I enjoyed it!

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910,Otis Turner) - 6.5/10 - 1st Watch

I liked it but some of the costumes were pretty bad and the cheoreogrpahy wasn't always on par. I'm probably overrating it to be honest but I think I need more knowledge on older films to give an educated opinion.

I watched all these in my lecture screenings for my "History of Cinema" module which focuses on classic cinema.

Ah, that last post brought back memories of A-Level Film Studies. Did you see Sick Kitten? For some reason that's the one reeler which has always stuck in my mind.

Thanks for the bump. I will update this thread soon. My laptop broke on Valentine's so I haven't been able to post properly. It will take too long to format it all on my phone. Ordering new laptop tomorrow and will hopefully get on Thursday. If not it will be Friday I should think.

11th February 2015

Torn Curtain (1966, Alfred Hitchcock) - 7.5/10 - 1st Watch

This is an interesting Hitchcock film altough certainly not his best. I enjoyed it after grasping parts of the narrative context I do not know much about. (The Cold War)

12th February 2015

Black Cat, White Cat (1998, Emir Kusturica) - CINEMA - 7/10 - 1st Watch

I may enjoy this one more on a second watch but it is a film that I would peobably have to be in the mood for to do so. It is a very crazy film, which is usally a good thing for me but the music almost gave me a headache.

&

Carrie (1976,
Brian De Palma) - CINEMA - 8/10 - 2nd Watch

A very good horror film that from a second watch got better. There seems to be a ot to analyse here. It is a very clever film.