2015 Fuze Views Redux!

→ in
Tools    

Give me all of your candy!
Have been super busy lately but I miss this site! I just like movies so much but more than anything I miss talking about them! I have yet to even watch many new movies this year besides Nebraska but I want to be able to keep up with the ones I do and what better way than on one of my favorite sites!

Short Term 12

Crusing through my Netflix I caught a glimpse of the synopsis and figured I would give it a midnight try. Shortly after it started about 25 minutes into it I knew this was another run of the mill independent film that would be an ok watch but nothing to call home over. Brie Larson gives a lackluster performance as does everyone except the person who played Marcus, who was a shining star in a dull film. I truly could not care about any of the characters no matter how hard I tried. It is not a horrible film by any means, just would have been better in another directors hands. I would actually like to give it another shot one day, but upon first viewing, this is a mediocre 3/5. Decent little flick that would have worked a lot better with a better cast and explored certain moments of tension a little deeper.

Yeah, I just couldn't feel for any of the morose characters like the director was trying to make the viewer do. It seemed everyone involved knew they were in a movie except Marcus. His performance was pretty great, actually. I am glad he was a focal point of the story.

Mud

I actually really enjoyed this film. Not a McConaughey fan usually, but this simply is my favorite performance besides Dallas Buyers Club that he has cashed in on. Reese Witherspoon was a breath of fresh air also. I love good children actors also, and the two main boys were truly great. Story kept me intrigued, characters seemed real, even smaller roles such as the mother and father, and some truly great scenes. I couldn't recommend this more to anyone. Great film! 4.5/5 I could see this being one of my favorite films after a few more viewings.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Mud is my third favorite film of 2013 and sits just a touch outside of my top 100. McConaughey and Witherspoon were both phenominal and the kids were surprisingly fantastic as well (which is where films like this usually leave me wanting).

Short Term 12 is one that I've really wanted to see since I first saw its trailer. I didn't even realize that it was on Netflix, so I'm going to have to check it out now.

The Babadook

This movie has been on my radar for awhile and it was a tension-filled blast. I loved seeing the slow creep into insanity and what the effects of sleep deprivation did to the mother. There are some truly terrifying scenes in this film and it leads into a decent climax. I still do not know how I feel about the ending but that just means I have to check it out again. If I had to give a score upon initial viewing, its a solid 3.5/5. I think it can easily be one of my favorite modern horror flicks upon future viewings.

Bernie

I completely adored Jack Black in this film. I become more and more impressed with him each film I see of his. Within 10 minutes of this film I knew I would love this performance. I admired the way they had the small town citizens tell their stories of Bernie. I laughed so hard at some moments of this dark comedy. Near the second half I saw just how predictable this was going to be, but that did not bother me at all. It's definitely worth checking out if only for Black's performance alone, but McClaine was also pretty explosive. Definite 4/5 with a chance of a better score upon next viewing. Fun flick!

Mean Creek

Kind of a disappointment. Crappy acting besides a couple scenes and a very predictable story. I should have been a lot more sympathetic to the characters but there was no progression in their stories or real emotion. Seemed very relaxed for such a weird ending. I would be losing my ****. Either way not the best 90 minutes of my life. 2.5/5

Bernie

I completely adored Jack Black in this film. I become more and more impressed with him each film I see of his. Within 10 minutes of this film I knew I would love this performance. I admired the way they had the small town citizens tell their stories of Bernie. I laughed so hard at some moments of this dark comedy. Near the second half I saw just how predictable this was going to be, but that did not bother me at all. It's definitely worth checking out if only for Black's performance alone, but McClaine was also pretty explosive. Definite 4/5 with a chance of a better score upon next viewing. Fun flick!
Do you know it's based on a true story?

That might be the most confused sentence I've ever read.
have you seen it? I thought he transformed himself from his usual School of Rock Nacho Libre films.

American Sniper

I went into this movie blind not knowing anything about it except some people love it and some people hate it. Well I loved it. I would definitely watch again and Eastwood has yet to let me down. Cooper is brilliant and from what I have read Kyle's wife even said this is what their kids will remember him as. Some scenes were very haunting, though, which is to be expected with the subject. It seemed very simply shot, not too many unbelievable battles, and also showed the pain military wives go through waiting. Best movie I have seen in awhile. 4.5/5 and more than likely will get better upon further viewings.

No, I've not seen it. I haven't seen either of those Jack Black films you mentioned either. I can't stand the bloke.
I honestly cannot either but I was told to check it out and saw it was only 90 minutes so what the hell I thought. It was a good movie glad I took the time to

Birdman

5/5. Best movie I have seen all year. Great acting, pacing, and perfect casting. I cannot stop wanting to watch this again. Keaton is fantastic and this positions him very well for a comeback. Galifinakis, Norton, Stone, no weak performances. GREAT SOUNDTRACK. Love this film. Cannot wait to put this in my DVD collection. I just want to watch it again right now. Of course this is one opinion and could possibly be a subpar snorefest hype-driven turd in your opinion, but it takes a lot for me to give a perfect score to a movie, much less on first viewing. I cannot say it will win Best Picture, but if Keaton doesn't take actor, I would be surprised. Instant classic.

Chef

I am a cook, so I knew I would love this film. As an aspiring chef, I loved the creativity of this film. Seemed so real. Great family film. Me and my wife loved every minute of it and what a cast! I'm a big sucker for a good soundtrack also and this one stayed upbeat and suited the movie well! Awesome film 4/5

I want to have a food truck one day after seeing this film!