The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Toy Story movies are all good, but I don't think they're nearly as good as people make them out to be. I think nostalgia plays a huge factor in their popularity and also the fact that Toy Story was Pixar's first feature (but far from their best).

I think nostalgia plays a huge factor in their popularity
Well, that's certainly the case for the third film. I don't think it would have been nearly as well-received had it not been for the first two films.

Unless Andy's mom is Miss Vicky. Then they're named Joaquin and Tom.

I also cannot believe it was gbgoodies who posted that picture. But then -- that's probably why I nominated her for "Funniest MoFo."

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot you broke up with Tom (or, actually, I should say -- Tom broke.)

The new one is called Lindsey, right?

If you're talking about Petty I've always loved his music but never found him at all attractive.
Well, at least when he's a toy, you don't have a face attached to it, anyway.

9. Princess Mononoke - Voting Stats

Total Points: 502
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
29 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), Seven 2nd Place (24 pts. each), 3rd Place (23 pts.), Two 4th Place (22 pts. each), 5th Place (21 pts.), 6th Place (20 pts.), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), 8th Place (18 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), Two 10th Place (16 pts. each), 13th Place (13 pts.), Three 14th Place (12 pts. each), Two 15th Place (11 pts. each), 17th Place (9 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), 22nd Place (4 pts.)

Hmm, lower than I expected. Anyways I did not vote for it but it is quite spectacular. I'm sure I would like it even more on multiple viewings. It's one of the first animated films that I've watched which almost felt like a big epic. Probably Mayazaki magnum opus.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Aladdin is another favorite of mine, although actually my least favorite of the Disney Renaissance's big 4 films. It would have been enough to just lot Robin Williams' riffing do all of the heavy lifting for this film, but the story and full cast of characters are all exceptionally good in their own right and Williams is only part of ehat makes the film so great.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is one that I have always liked, but am appreciating more and more as time goes on. It's quirky without making that its defining trait and dark without losing sight of Christmas' levity. I always watch this around Thanksgiving, splitting the difference between Halloween and Christmas.

Beauty and the Beast is my personal favorite of the Disney Renaissance (something thatI take a lot of heat for saying in my circles, given the existence of The Lion King). It is brilliantly animated, well written and has a staggeringly high quality collection of songs to move its story along.

The Incredibles is easily one of Pixars best, although I actually am surprised to see it ranked so highly. I didn't think that it had quite the same level of aupport that others in their filmography have.

Toy Story 3 was a fantastic conclusion to its series (the forthcoming fourth installment not withstanding). It forced every other character to go through what Woody did in the previous movie, which shockingly did not come off as a retread.

Princess Mononoke is the movie that got me into anime. It is breathtakingly visual and riddled with intelligent characters and plot. It's probably my second favorite Miyazaki, behind Howl's Moving Castle.

So 7 of the top 10 are Pixar, eh?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."