The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I might not have even participated in this countdown if it wasn't for The Incredibles. It was about a year ago when I decided to watch everything I hadn't seen in Mark's top 10. I had zero interest in animation and it had been many years since I had seen one. I hesitantly watched The Incredibles, and it showed me that animation could still be awesome at my age. I had it at #12.

My list-

3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
6. Grave of the Fireflies
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
12. The Incredibles
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Master of My Domain
The Incredibles was my Number 9.

Now, this is a proper superhero movie. Fast pacing, amazing action scenes even for a movie that's rated the safe PG, and a great story. I really liked that Pixar wasn't afraid of having adult violence in it. As Pixar always is, it was new and daring, and pulled it off to be successful and influence many others, such as Rango, another animated film which I love for the same reason.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My top 10 prediction
1. Up
2. Toy Story
3. Spirited Away
4. Wall E
5. Toy Story 3
6. Finding Nemo
7. Ratatouille
8. Princess Mononoke
9. Lion King
10. Monsters Inc.

I didn't know there were so many Monsters Inc. fans. So at this rate it will probably be something like 5.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Beauty and the Beast is the best thing Disney have ever done. Beautiful animation of one of my favourite fairy tales.

I've seen The Incredibles a couple of times, and while there are good aspects, I've never really felt that it was, well, incredible, the way most other people seem to.

Well those are the top ten, I won't say if you got them in the right order, though. Anybody else want to take a crack at the order?
Oh, what they hey...

1. Up
2. Finding Nemo
3. WALL·E
4. The Lion King
5. Toy Story 3
6. Spirited Away
7. Ratatouille
8. Toy Story
9. Monsters, Inc.
10. Princess Mononoke
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Incredibles was one of the first 'date' movies Michelle and I watched.

Suspect's Reviews

10. Toy Story 3 - Voting Stats

Total Points: 489
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
33 Votes: Two 1st Place (25 pts. each) 2nd Place (24 pts.), Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), Three 4th Place (22 pts. each), Four 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), 8th Place (18 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), Three 12th Place (14 pts. each), Two 14th Place (12 pts. each), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each), 22nd Place (4 pts.), 23rd Place (3 pts.), Two 24th Place (2 pts. each)

If I had voted for any of the Toy Story movies, this would've been the one to make my ballot. The animation is far superior to the original and I found myself far more engaged with the story of Toy Story 3 than in either of its predecessors.

Well...almost 20 years later, I would hope the animation is superior.
Yes, but some of the animation in the original film is downright bad. Sid's dog in particular was not well done at all and it bugs the **** out of me every time I watch it. Slinky makes a more convincing dog than that thing.

Toy Story 3 was #24 on my list. I love the entire trilogy, but I felt that the nostalgia really took this one home, expect for the amazing third act. Everything was just good, but nothing that amazing. But again all 3 films are great fun and I love them all.

A system of cells interlinked
I really should sit down and watch a Toy Story movie sometime...

Toy Story 3 is my favorite part of the trilogy. I even consider it as one of my favorite films of all time. It works on every level. This is what I wrote about it in my Top 101 thread:

*SPOILER ALERT*

Pixar made some of the best American animated movies of all time during the 1995-2010 era and I bet everyone has his/her personal favorite one. Toy Story 3 is mine.

This film manages to be wildly entertaining and is full of great comedy and exciting plotlines, while still maintaining a certain overarching depth to the story that's being told.
The whole trilogy is one of the best and most original stories about the transience of existence, in my opinion, but this last entry tackles the topic in the darkest and most profound manner in the form of its villain, Lotso.
Lotso gets confronted with the reality of his own transience and uses the 'unfairness' of his fate as an excuse to act immoral. If anything (including himself) ends, morality is simply an illusion anyway. On that immoral basis and with the power that attitude offers him, he decides to pick out a few fellow toys with whom he then founds a cruel and terrorizing reign over a fragile community (in this case the toys of the Day Care).
I love it!

This film is very clever and has a lot of interesting stuff going on for kids and adults alike. It's truly one of the best family pictures I've ever seen. It's also full of inventive filmmaking and great visuals. It's a magnificent film and I still like it as much as the first time I watched it in the cinema.

P.S. I cried at the end.
It was number 4 on my list!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Toy Story 3 just last week and cried pretty much the whole way through. You may consider that the mark of a good film, I'm not sure. I feel like everything possible is done to tug on the heartstrings. From the way the song from the first film cuts out and we see the toys haven't been played with to the end where... well, spoiler alert, but the end, anyway. It's actually a really dark film. The Alien 3 of the Toy Story franchise. I can't help thinking that the toys in this film are actually a metaphor for parents, unwanted once their kid grows up and leaves for college, and it's pretty heartbreaking.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Toy Story 3 was one of the best films of its year - a very good film - but it didn't make my list.