Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

There is definitely more cheese than good movies. I watched Child's Play a couple years ago. I was actually expecting it to be scary, but it was just boring with terrible acting.

Probably my favorite Horror film director (all of his films are horror) is the British director Pete Walker. He was most active in the 70's, but also did a few in the 60's. Die Screaming Marianne, The Confessional, and House of Whipcord are the best of what I've seen so far, and House of Whipcord is one of my personal favorites.

Yeah, I think the 80s were a really good decade for horror. The 70s though. The 70s had some of the best all time horror movies out there.
Nothing beats the 70's in terms of horror, in my personal opinion.

I think I have to agree that the 70's was the best decade for horror.
Yeah I agree too... but then the 1930's and 1940's had some good horror as well.

I haven't seen enough horror from those decades. Perhaps I shouldn't have spoken in that case though...

Horror movies are getting visually more frightening, but in terms of atmosphere I don't know if it can be defined by decades. It's more just a few rare individual pieces from various eras that stand out as atmospherically frightening.

Zotis,

I enjoy horror from early 1900's... to the 1940's.. then from the 1960's and 1970's.... to some in the 1990's to today.....

Unregistered User
Have you seen Videodrome? Because David Cronenberg does great horror.
Great call on Videodrome, Cronenberg is more body horror than actual horror but from the 11 that i have seen, Ive really enjoyed them all. Dead Ringers is especially great and disturbing.

Horror Hall of Fame
THE NIGHT
STALKER

— 1972 —

I really wasn’t expecting much from this film when I first read about it; it just seemed like this unknown cheap television flick made for no money and with no talent – but I was dead wrong. First off, it has to be said that I didn’t know anything about the television series of which this film is based upon; neither did I know of its great popularity. Who knew that this little "unknown" made-for-television feature called 'The Night Stalker', would unexpectedly appear out of nowhere and eventually end up on a list of my favorite horror films? I would never have thought that but here it is…

This is a rather short movie, with a running time lasting only about 74 minutes, and thankfully we jump right into the story in the very first frame, so luckily there is no time wasted. The movie is basically set up and played out just like an investigation crime thriller, and we have this voice-over popping into focus once in a while, giving us the facts and findings in this murder mystery that once happened. It is a great approach, as it makes the movie feel like a noir-type film, and it really suits the movie greatly. And as we get to know all the characters I quickly realized that even those were well written and, not to forget, extremely well acted too.

So, where does the horror come in? Well, as I have said before I love horror films that cross between genres, and this was a crossover I hadn't really seen before; at least not like this... It is basically a cross between a noir crime thriller and a horror vampire flick. The way they have balanced it all out is quite unique and impressive, because as I said earlier, it plays out like an investigation of "just another case" in a crime universe, and therefore the character of the vampire is treated like any other murderer in town. Like, if someone really stumbled upon a vampire in real life and had to figure out what to do. But the vampire aspect is just as interesting and followed through, as we hear about all the classic myths and find out exactly how this person lives, sleeps and all other interesting vampire facts.

It is defiantly a small film, but still impressively made and nicely paced. We are thrown into the midst of it all from the start without much warning, as I said, then we hear about what happened and how no one seems to be able to make sense of it all, then we hear about how they proceed and how they get closer to the murderer, then all the theories starts to come forward and they are closing in on the suspect, and so on – exactly how you would experience a real life investigation, and you really feel like you are a part of it all. Not only because of the way the story builds up, but also because of the way it is filmed, scored and acted. A perfect noir crime thriller with a great little TWIST, and I had so much fun with this! It worked better than I could have imagined and has quickly become one of the most interesting "horror" films I hav seen.

This movie really holds your attention all the way through, and if you like investigation thrillers and doesn’t mind if things are spiced up with a few horror elements, then this should be perfect for you. I love crossovers between genres, and this is one of the more interesting ones that I have stumbled upon. I like how the vampire aspect is treated realistically, like if you really fell upon this creature one day and had to figure out what to do. It brings some great realism and intensity to the film, and together with some great acting and the fact that it is very impressively put together, you can’t help but be entertained by this one.

+

But it's not really a horror film, is it? I like it, I like the series and I quite like the follow up film, which is basically the same, but not quite as good. But it's not really a horror film any more than an epsisode of The X Files would be if it had a vampire.

But it's not really a horror film, is it? I like it, I like the series and I quite like the follow up film, which is basically the same, but not quite as good. But it's not really a horror film any more than an epsisode of The X Files would be if it had a vampire.
Maybe it is not really a horror film, but on IMDb it is considered one. Plus, I'm always thinking of the subject and/or the approach when classifying a horror movie. So although the approach is not as much horror, the subject based around a vampire which is something that can not exist, and therefore I see it as a horror. But it is debatable, yes.

Woohoo, nice review MovieMeditation. Honeykid is steaming. I should get a move-on with this, been slacking.

Cannibal is all ready to roll for tonight.
Again?! I thought you watched that 10,000,000 times already.

I started The Night Stalker, but the acting at the begining wasn't great. I will watch it, but I doubt I'm going to end up liking it. The story was a bit boring too, at the beginning anyway...

Let the night air cool you off
Doing decades horror lists could be fun, even with limited participation. I don't know which decade is the best, but I know that each decade since the inception of film has something to offer. Post-2000 is pretty great, in my opinion. I think the 80s has the most fun horrors. The 70s probably has the most stylish and possibly deepest pool of good horror films.

I disagree about '70s horror being the best -- not that there weren't great horrors in the '70s -- Texas Chain Saw Massacre and all that.

Frankly I think the '70s decade for movies... is a little overrated.

The '70s were weird. Sometimes I feel like there's such a drastic difference between the '70s and the '80s. Like, what the hell happened in 10 years?!

To me, the '80s were better for horror. I feel like so much happened then and paved the way for all the horror nostalgia that goes on now.

The '70s may have started stuff, but the '80s went full force.

Have you seen Videodrome? Because David Cronenberg does great horror.
I havent seen Videodrome but I have seen quite a few Cronenberg films.. "The Brood", "Scanners", "The Dead Zone", "The Fly", "Naked Lunch" and other films that are not horror related but I have to say I think "Spider" is my favorite... Ralph Fiennes is amazing in that film.

Cannibal

I have mixed feelings about this one. I knew going in to this that it was made for video, so my biggest concern was how well made it would be. I watch a decent amount of movies like this, and my reaction was that it was made reasonably well for it's low budget. It wasn't made as well as A Serbian Film, but it was about equal to The Human Centipede 2. At times I thought it looked pretty good, but other times not so much. The acting was also about average for a movie like this, although the voice of the main character was so odd that it was startling, and somewhat annoying.

My biggest problem with this movie was the gratuitous male nudity and fondling/sex. I'm not a prude or homophobic, but with a fascinating story such as this, I definitely thought that time could've been better spent elsewhere. The scenes of the two men nude together seemed to go on forever, and with only about an 85 minute runtime, I just didn't see the point.*

I thought parts of the movie were effective, especially the last 20-25 minutes. It's definitely sick and disturbing, but by comparison, I find my nominee in the 5th Hall of Fame, Boys Don't Cry, to be more disturbing, at least in an emotional way. I put a lot of stock in how memorable I find a movie to be, and for that reason, I'll give Cannibal a slightly generous