Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Undercover Brother

Some hilarious moments and moderately funny throughout, Niel Patrick Harris was the best thing (I'M NOT A SISSY!!!).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Fool For Love (Altman) - Horrible. Couldn't watch the entire thing. I kept watching and watching. It's only an hour and 46, and there might have only been 5 minutes left, couldn't take it anymore.

Then I watched what I thought would be a sure bet.. So I put in

"State of the Nation" (Capra) and it was awful. Angela Lansbury can play a good evil woman, I never thought Hepburn was a good actress, speech, mannerisms, I always thought it was obviously fake. I tried to keep watching, but I'm going to test my predictable skills and see if I was right.

Two Days, One Night 2014 (French: Deux jours, une nuit)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I liked this better the 12 Years a Slave. It has a better narrative, better story, and in my opinion a better director. But that being said my issues on 12 Years a Slave lie with the artistic way the film was told. This film my issue is with it's history.

1. LBJ is shown here not 100% behind the movement. Did LBJ and Dr King have disagreements? Damn straight they did. The movie was right on the disagreements between King and LBJ on Vietnam and The War on Poverty. But LBJ was not one to try and hold back the civil rights movement.

2. J Edgar Hoover is not even portrayed as Dr Kings biggest threat in DC (which he was). He is barely in the movie and Johnson is shown having Hoover go after King for him. Which is also BS. Hoover went after King because he thought he was a communist. LBJ actually pulled Hoover aside and had him set his sights on a new target... the KKK instead of King.

3. George Wallace makes a comment on "redistribution of wealth" which to my current recollection was not a big issue for old Dixiecrats. Way to try and insert current politics into a history film.

There are a few other things that bugged me like that ending song over the credits. So this movie does have very significant flaws. It tells a good story, but flunks history. I put this in the same category of Oliver Stone's JFK in that regard. Watch it with huge grain of salt. But the acting on the part of the main key players like Dr King was spot on.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The first half of this was exactly what I was hoping to see. This family and their off-color banter, while defining everyone's roles was fun. After that, it kind of collapsed under the emotional weight. It just really felt like the wind had gotten sucked out of the sails and got a little too depressing for me to enjoy. I was also left wondering why Timothy Olyphant even signed on for this movie.

Island of Death (1976)

This exploitation classic has sex, violence, and a sensual scene of goat-rape, but it's not particularly shocking or exciting. For a movie like this, it's ok.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Finally saw it and enjoyed it thoroughly. Very much in keeping with the rest of Wes Anderson's films: wacky, off-kilter, very funny, and bittersweet. Lots of great actors filling out the cast, a lot of them from other Anderson films. But the star of the film is of course Ralph Fiennes, who plays the very refined concierge of the Grand Budapest excellently, going from genteel most of the time to angrily cussing his opponents. I wish he'd gotten an Oscar nomination for Best Actor, but you can't win 'em all. Great movie.

Island of Death (1976)

This exploitation classic has sex, violence, and a sensual scene of goat-rape, but it's not particularly shocking or exciting. For a movie like this, it's ok.

I know that movie from a Cinema Snob review!

Now this is a biopic! This cuts into who Chris Kyle was as a person as well as a warrior. You see how he joins the SEALS, his time in the sandbox, his time at home, and how his time in country affects his life at home. A portrait of a man of duty torn between love of country, his fellow servicemen, and his family. Plenty of action and lots of heavy drama in the quiet moments. Touching on a very real and very serious problem of PTSD. If you can see it in IMAX like I did, do it. The man was a true American hero. And this movie reflects that.

RIP Chris Kyle.

April 8 1974 - February 13 2013.

Clubhouse detectives in search of a lost princess (2002)

Four kids in search of a lost princess hidden in their small town. They start investigating all of the girls in school to find out which girl is the lost princess so they can protect her from the villain. After a little investigate, they think that the girl they are searching for is the one that they have a crush on.
I'll give it 7/10. I like the characters, funny and smart, the plot was pretty nice.

Now this is a biopic! This cuts into who Chris Kyle was as a person as well as a warrior. You see how he joins the SEALS, his time in the sandbox, his time at home, and how his time in country affects his life at home. A portrait of a man of duty torn between love of country, his fellow servicemen, and his family. Plenty of action and lots of heavy drama in the quiet moments. Touching on a very real and very serious problem of PTSD. If you can see it in IMAX like I did, do it. The man was a true American hero. And this movie reflects that.

RIP Chris Kyle.

I'm going to see this and Inherent Vice tomorrow, reassuring to see you like it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It seems like American Sniper has been promoted since Thanksgiving, glad to see it's finally here. Seems like the majority has been impressed so far.

Master of My Domain

Rarely I find a musical I like, this was an exception. The performances and musical numbers are stylishly quirky and masterfully magical, and well choreographed.

RIP Chris Kyle.

I don't want to sound like a d*ck and maybe this is a debate for another thread, but he seems like a strange and conflicted pathological liar to me, and I'm concerned about how the film will come across. Don't some of the stories relating to him and his lies concern you? However I've discussed such concerns with my brother and he says whatever you think of the man, the film is a great directed piece of work, so I'm still looking forward to it.

I don't want to sound like a d*ck and maybe this is a debate for another thread, but he seems like a strange and conflicted pathological liar to me, and I'm concerned about how the film will come across. Don't some of the stories relating to him and his lies concern you? However I've discussed such concerns with my brother and he says whatever you think of the man, the film is a great directed piece of work, so I'm still looking forward to it.
Define lies please.

Well from what I've been reading a lot of the stories he has been telling haven't been true. The Jesse Ventura stuff which everyone seems to hate Ventura for, the gas truck incident, killing looters after Hurricane Katrina, and apparently his promise to donate profits from his book to veterans, although I don't know much about that one. As I said, I haven't seen the film, and a lot of this might be related PTSD or other issues you'll inevitably face when in such a position.

Well from what I've been reading a lot of the stories he has been telling haven't been true. The Jesse Ventura stuff which everyone seems to hate Ventura for, the gas truck incident, killing looters after Hurricane Katrina, and apparently his promise to donate profits from his book to veterans, although I don't know much about that one. As I said, I haven't seen the film, and a lot of this might be related PTSD or other issues you'll inevitably face when in such a position.
I am familiar with the Jesse Ventura situation where there was discussion of a fist fight at a SEAL funeral. Jesse allegedly said something stupid and Kyle is said to have punched him out. What most people hate about Ventura (other then he is a whack job conspiracy theorist), is that he sued Kyle over telling the story on a radio show, and then sued the man's widow once he was killed. That is why people hate Ventura.

The gas truck incident was shooting two dudes in self defense after they tried to car jack him. As for why certain people can't get surveillance footage from the cops I can't comment. The New Orleans looters controversy I only heard of off some shall we say unreliable sources on the internet. And I never heard of the fourth one.

Now I can't comment on Kyle the person since I never met the guy. But his service record speaks for itself. And the film focuses on that and his family. I am making my judgement about the film off that.

This exploitation classic has a sensual scene of goat-rape, but it's not particularly shocking or exciting.
Cricket, I think you have officially seen one too many of these type of films.