Best Director Oscar 2015

Tools    

Who will be named Oscar's Best Director?
3.57%
1 votes
Wes Anderson, THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
25.00%
7 votes
Alejandro González Iñárritu, BIRDMAN
71.43%
20 votes
Richard Linklater, BOYHOOD
0%
0 votes
Bennett Miller, FOXCATCHER
0%
0 votes
Morten Tyldum, THE IMITATION GAME
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five nominees...

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game

Who will take home the trophy?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Director.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	19522  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As much as I loved Iñárritu's daring and unique direction in Birdman, with the whole thing feeling like a fantastic free flowing poem, I don;t think there's much of a chance of someone taking this away from Linklater either.

Boyhood either takes Best Picture or this, I can't see it winning both. I say it wins Best Picture and this one goes to Inarritu or Wes Anderson

I really love Birdman, just not quite as much as Budapest. I think Inarritu and his DP did something really special. I would love to see both of them win in their respective categories. I think its Linklater though.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Boyhood is that good???
I promised my gf I'd watch it with her and she's been working a lot so I still didn't get the chance!

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'm guessing that it'll be between Boyhood and Birdman, although here I'm thinking that the latter has the edge. Stylistically, it's a contemporary Rope, and compared very strongly to it when all is said and done.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game
Seriously?

Birdman is masterfully directed, but The Grand Budapest Hotel is stunning and probably the best think Anderson has done so far.

Wes Anderson has VERY little chance of winning this year, but I have been waiting and waiting for the Academy to finally acknowledge him in a big way. This is it. He had screenplay nominations before, and Fantastic Mr. Fox was up for Animated Feature, but to break through with Picture and Director nominations is wonderful. More likely he'll be back again and again, now, and hopefully one of those years things will line up for him to actually win.

But it ain't gonna be this year. This is Linklater's to lose, and if he does, it'll be Iñárritu. The other three are just taking up space, honored to be nominated.

Boyhood either takes Best Picture or this, I can't see it winning both. I say it wins Best Picture and this one goes to Inarritu or Wes Anderson
How many years did he direct this? This will be recognized. Linklater wins.

On another note, what is up with Bennett Miller being here again? I'm pretty sure he has pictures of influential members of the Academy. And Foxcatcher was okay, but there are some serious enough flaws in the character development that a better director would have addressed.

And Wes Anderson sucks. We all know this. Go back to the record store you hipster.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Then he takes this one home and Best Picture goes elsewhere. I think it will be a split, so if they were to recognize Linklater's efforts, Best Director probably would be the right thing to do, yeah.

He is the best director this year for doing something not any of his peers had done before, but that doesn't mean he made the best film, so...

Will win: Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Dark horse: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman
Should win: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman
Should've been nominated: Damien Chazelle, Whiplash

On another note, what is up with Bennett Miller being here again? I'm pretty sure he has pictures of influential members of the Academy. And Foxcatcher was okay, but there are some serious enough flaws in the character development that a better director would have addressed.

And Wes Anderson sucks. We all know this. Go back to the record store you hipster.
Like what?

Without spoiling anything I can think of three key moments in the film regarding each of the main characters where there are sudden changes within them that I have trouble justifying. Typically I don't pick at this kind of issue but in this case the director goes out of his way to create this deep, dark, brooding character piece and then appears to approach the finish line, disappear for the last 10 meters, and then reappear on the other side. Not sure if that makes sense to you.