Looking for movies similar to The Others & The Skeleton Key

Tools    

Make a better place
Holla guys

I'm looking for good horror movies with a GREAT TWIST, something similar to The Others and The Skeleton Key

preferably movies not older than the 80s

Knowing that some of these films even contain "twists" may ruin some of the fun, but...

I'll definitely second Jacob's Ladder (1990) and Angel Heart (1987), which are both atmospheric and supernatural and hold up really well. Frailty (2001), which stars and was directed by Bill Paxton, is also very good. Not in their same class, very derivative but well made, is Fallen (1998) starring Denzel Washington.

Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island (2010) should be right up your alley, even if it is ultimately more psychological than supernatural. Also check out Gaslight (1944) and Les Diaboliques (1955) and even Vertigo (1958) for some forerunners, there.

Memento, The Usual Suspects, and SE7EN are all very well known from the past twenty years, but check them out if you've somehow missed them. Certainly any Agatha Christie adaptation will do ya nicely, for a twist.

Of course Chinatown is my all-time favorite film, and that is a must-see with one of the most famous twists of all time.

And I hate to even mention there is a twist for this one...but A Big Hand for the Little Lady is a delight.

Oh, and I would avoid The Color of Night at all costs. Because it is so fricking awful.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	frailty.jpeg
Views:	8932
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	19337   Click image for larger version

Name:	chinatown.jpg
Views:	8732
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	19338   Click image for larger version

Name:	big hand.jpg
Views:	8730
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	19339  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holla guys

I'm looking for good horror movies with a GREAT TWIST, something similar to The Others and The Skeleton Key

preferably movies not older than the 80s
Are you open to foreign cinema? If so, check out Norway's "Skjult" aka "Hidden". It has a twist to the end.

Oh, and I would avoid The Color of Night at all costs. Because it is so fricking awful.

We all have our crosses to bear... one of mine is, on occasion, liking 'bad' films.

Make a better place
Thanks you guys for the suggestions

I have watched some of the movies you guys mentioned:_
The Village, Identity, Frailty & Fallen. Knowing these are some of the recommendations makes me know the rest are great too

I guess I'll check them all out

Thank you very very much guys for taking the time to come up with these lists, I really do appreciate it

Sir Toose, Holden Pike & MovieGal, Thank u all

The Innocents

I know you said preferablely not older than the 80's, but it really doesn't get better than The Innocents if you're looking for films like this.

I know you said preferablely not older than the 80's, but it really doesn't get better than The Innocents if you're looking for films like this.

What shall I sing to my lord from my window?
What shall I sing, for my lord will not stay?
What shall I sing, for my lord will not listen?
Where shall I go, for my lord is away?
Whom shall I love when the moon is arisen?
Gone is my lord, and the grave is his prison.
What shall I say when my lord comes a-calling?
What shall I say when he knocks on my door?
What shall I say when his feet enter softly,
Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor?
Enter my lord, come from your prison.
Come from your grave, for the moon is arisen.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

The Innocents

I'm going to try that tonight.

Make a better place
Honeykid, you are the one that i trust the most here in Mofo, so I'll watching this without even watching the trailer

and thank u very much Christine for the recommendation, I'll check it out

again I'd like to thank you all guys