The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Never seen South Park, a single episode, or the movie. But I love Team America, so I should definitely check it out sometime. Waltz with Bashir is probably the film I most regret not seeing, I'm sure I'll love it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Now we should be to the meat and potatoes of this list. Up and coming:

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Shrek
Pinocchio
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King
Aladdin
Mary and Max
Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Wall E
Up
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo
Grave of the Fireflies
The Incredibles
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Fantasia
Nightmare Before Christmas

And the three movies I can't currently think of. I thought Cinderella would make it but it seems pretty late in the game. Hopefully we see a pleasant surprise or two.

Duck Amuck also seems to be much more popular than What's Opera, Doc? on movieforums, as the latter didn't make it as an individual short.

I also forgot to vote for this personal favorite cartoon short of mine. I kind of regret it, because it probably got some votes from other people as it's fairly well known. Maybe it could've made it.

Aw, I love that one Cob, but I didn't think to put in any shorts with so many great full-length animations out there... I guess except for How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Wreck-It Ralph was just outside of my Top 10. I have so much love for that movie, I don't know where to start. The unique concept, the attention to detail, the range of emotions that it inspires, Sarah Silverman- all come to my mind. I've rewatched it multiple times and I always notice something new, which to me is a great quality in a movie and makes this one highly rewatchable (which for a movie geared towards kids is probably a godsend to parents).

Waltz With Bashir is another movie I unfortunately did not get to before the deadline. South Park has never interested me and I am pretty surprised it managed to get so high on this list.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Aladdin will win it? Did that movie begin the new age of animated movies?

VFN, I think The Little Mermaid is widely credited with starting the new age of animated movies (at the very least the new golden age of Disney animation).

Four excellent movies over the past two days three of which i voted for. I had Persepolis at 7, Waltz With Bashir at 6 and South Park at 14; i'll comment on these later tonight when i have more time. Wreck It Ralph almost made my list if i decided not to include shorts like i was initially going to it would've made it.

Watched - 49/76
My list 9/25

6.Waltz With Bashir
7.Persepolis
8.Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
11.Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck
14.South Park: Bigger,Longer and Uncut
16.Allegro Non Troppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle
22.Watership Down
25.Millenium Actress

24. Pinocchio - Voting Stats

Total Points: 297
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
21 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 2nd Place (24 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.), 4th Place (22 pts.), 5th Place (21 pts.), 6th Place (20 pts.), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), 9th Place (17 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), Two 16th Place (10 pts. each), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), Two 24th Place (2 pts. each)

23. Mary and Max. - Voting Stats

Total Points: 319
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
26 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), Four 5th Place (21 pts. each), 8th Place (18 pts), 10th Place (16 pts.), Three 11th Place (15 pts. each), Two 14th Place (12 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), Three 18th Place (8 pts. each), 21st Place (5 pts.), Two 23rd Place (3 pts. each), Three 24th Place (2 pts. each), 25th Place (1 pt.)

As I'm sure many of you know by now, I watched Mary and Max. for the first time about a year ago. I watched it because it was free on Amazon Prime and I was bored and mark f said he thought I would like it.

I really had no idea what to expect when I pressed play but it was pretty much instant love. When I wasn't giggling like an idiot at its absurd humor, my heart was breaking at the personal trials of its titular characters - each trying to find acceptance and struggling to understand the world and people around them.

I've watched the film probably a dozen times in the last 12 months and it has quickly and firmly taken its place in my all time top ten and ranked third on my ballot.

I like Pinocchio well enough, but it has never been a favorite and didn't get my vote.

My Ballot:
3. Mary and Max. (#23)
4. Wreck-It Ralph (#27)
6. Surf's Up (#99)
8. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)
9. Chicken Run (#51)
10. Charlotte's Web (#57)
11. Despicable Me (#61)
12. Waltz With Bashir (#26)
16. The Emporer's New Groove (#80)
21. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#42)
22. Lilo & Stitch (#83)
24. Bambi (#50)

Pinocchio is undoubtedly a very good animation, and a classic. I always thought it was good, but I've never massively loved it and when I was younger I thought it was a bit scary, maybe that's why I didn't include it in my list.

Mary and Max didn't make my list either, although it's a very good film that I enjoyed a lot too. Maybe a little too dark, but certain parts are very magical and I want to watch it again. No surprise to see it here as it's loved around this site.