Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Thieves Like Us

A good effort, not up to Altman's other films but no slouch.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Whiplash // 2014

If this is not the best movie of last year, then I don't know what is. I'm not sure if I really can give this the top spot, but it's defiantly one of the best movie experiences I've had in the last 5 years or so. Holy f*ck this was intense. Don't even know what to say... I guess I'll just put it this way:

Dude where did you watch this film? I mean you live in Denmark, right? I ordered tickets for an early screening and that's 13. january...

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Finally saw the capper of the trilogy and must say I think it's the best of the lot. While the previous two had their share of action and character development, this one is almost all action. But...there is the performance of Richard Armitage as Thorin. I thought he did an excellent job portraying the madness that the treasure he guarded held over him.

I also loved the little touches like the mountain goats that the dwarves rode, and the huge boar that Billy Connolly (as Dain the dwarf) rode. Great fun!

Escape Plan (2013)

Stallone and Schwarzenegger together in a good actioner where, of course, they try to escape from a super-prison that is in a mysterious location. The mystery of where it is just part of the fun. Not perfect by any means but a great time-passer.

Unregistered User

Dracula;Prince of Darkness (1966)

Christopher Lee is brilliant as the silent Dracula who although does not get much screen time, really makes his presence felt throughout. It does take a while to get into the film and it really could have done with Peter Cushing but Hammer fan's should enjoy this and it's a sterling effort at a remake.

++

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Point Break (Kathryn Bigelow, 1991)

I had to make a special post for the awesomeness of Point Break. I just couldn't wait until I got my regular computer back and mention it in one of my many movie tabs. Kathryn Bigelow had to wait 17 years after this to get her Oscar for directing The Hurt Locker when anyoene with half a brain (or half a set of cojones) knows she deserved it for Point Break. I admit that she did have a great set of actors to work with - never underestimate. the abilities of the Mount Rushmore of male actors - Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey and John C. McGinley. Especially when they deliver such Shakespearean dialogue as "Young. dumb and full of cum", "This was about us against the system!", "I caught my first tube today, sir", "You gotta go down", "I'm so hungry I can eat the ass-end of a rhino", "You gonna jump or jerk off?", "We"re outta here."

Besides the great acting and dialogue, you've got a terrific collection of action scenes - car chases, foot chases. bank robberies, surfing, sky diving, martial arts, police assaults, etc .So, the movie has a deep plot about personal freedom trying to be stomped on by the Man, Zen performances by Swayze and Reeves, scenery-chewing by those twin Oliviers, Busey and McGinley, a nice performance by Lori Petty who brings some reality to the proceedings and scintillating hyper-reality provided by Bigelow. If you've read this far, and you think this review is a joke, you're partially right, but the joke's on you because I think for all the preposterous hokum of the plot and the movie as a whole, Point Break is one of the most-enjoyable and entertaining movies ever made, and I'm reminded of that each time I see it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Slacker (Linklater) - I won't rate this.. You should watch this, but it's nothing great. Usually when there's a bunch of gibberish, some "avante-garde" (french for bs) will say "it's satire" when it's not..

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Husbands (Cassavetes) - 7/10 - Liked this more the second time. The first time I think I'm in a state of suspense, so the second time I can better evaluate. I might be a little biased after reading "Cassavetes by Cassavetes", but after understanding the man better, I can understand his films better as well.

Ida (2013) - Very nice movie. 7/10.

Oscar win?? Dont think so!

Well thank goodness it is finally over. The final battle was very big, as it should have been. But srsly, the first 15 minutes of this movie HAD NO REASON NOT TO BE AT THE END OF THE LAST FREAKING MOVIE! But overall the movie was still good. But I still say if you cut out certain side plots in these movies you should have been able to make this a streamlined two picture story instead of the over stuffed trilogy that it is.

I think Point Break is overrated as Hell around here.

Now, I liked it -- I did -- but in all honesty, Mark F, a review like that where you give Point Break
(and other things
or
) is why I will never take all your words about movies as THE definitive words.

Now, I liked it -- I did -- but in all honesty, Mark F, a review like that where you give Point Blank
(and other things
or
) is why I will never take all your words about movies as THE definitive words.
Wrong movie.

Master of My Domain

Normally I dislike John Travolta but in this dance film representing the disco era his performance was slick, cool, and likeable. And why can't we have someone like the BeeGees these days?

Wolf Children ( Mamoru Hosoda, 2012)

I had really mixed feelings on this one. The animation was gorgeous. It was an absolute delight to look at. I also felt strongly for Hana and her struggles as a mother coping with the task of raising two (very unusual) children on her own. The quieter moments between Hana and her children were also very effective and touching.

However, the scenes of the children's tantrums, their "puppyhood" and of their ultimate transformations left me rolling my eyes, as did some of the early romantic scenes between Hana and the father. I just can't get past the whole lycanthropy/bestiality/mythical being angle. Sorry. Not bad at all, but not really my cup of tea.

-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
understandable when something isn't one's cup of tea and i firmly agree with the animation and the visual aspect being quite beautiful to watch. Sorry to hear it wasn't more enjoyable for you.
The tantrums and their puppyhood made me chuckle, personally.