The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Both of these were totally underwhelming for me...

I watched them both in my animation binge-watching period, and I knew they were both well respected, but I just didn't like any of them much.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Akira is fantastic, although it's one that I appreciate more than I enjoy for the most part. It's probably my favorite body horror film.

Akira...i was pretty Guap about it in High School.
Ha! Guap has transcended the noun state.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Watch it be outranked tomorrow by something like Sno Wok and the Seven Geishas.
Given what little I remember of Snow White, I'd take Seven Geishas in a heartbeat. :P

A system of cells interlinked
Akira is in my Top 5, but is not without its problems. I still think it totally rocks, though. I had Akira at Number FOUR overall.

I have never seen Nausicaa. (I know, I know)

Some others that listed that I wasn't around to comment on or missed:

I had Waking Life at number TEN overall. Half-baked philosophy! That's right up my alley!

Also: Pretty sure the short animated film More won't make it, and i want people to get a chance to see it:

Mark Osborne's More.

Kaze no tani no Naushika
(Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)
(Hayao Miyazaki, 1984)
What did I tell ya? I knew Sno Wok and the Seven Geishas would be here today.

Akira is in my Top 5, but is not without its problems. I still think it totally rocks, though. I had Akira at Number FOUR overall.

I have never seen Nausicaa. (I know, I know)

Some others that listed that I wasn't around to comment on or missed:

I had Waking Life at number TEN overall. Half-baked philosophy! That's right up my alley!

Also: Pretty sure the short animated film More won't make it, and i want people to get a chance to see it:

Mark Osborne's More.

I remember seeing that short, but as part of a music video back on MTV. I think the song was Hellbent.

Had Nausicaa at 17. Currently my favorite Miyazaki movie.

1. Frozen
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Sleeping Beauty
5. Heavy Metal
11. Fantastic Planet
13. Bevis and Butthead Do America
17. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
19. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
21. Bambi
23. The Lady and the Tramp

Of the movies that have shown up since i last posted i voted for Howls Moving Castle at 19 and The Wrong Trousers at 8. I'll comment on both of these as well as the ones i didn't vote for a bit later. I have to say though i'm pissed that i forgot Rango , somehow it slipped my mind and it would've been in my top ten as well . Oh well at least it got this high.

Watched - 45/72
My List - 6/25

8.Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
11.Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck
16.Allegro Non Troppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle
22.Watership Down
25.Millenium Actress

Akira was my number ten, giving me a baker's dozen on the list.

4. The Wrong Trousers (#35)
5. A Town Called Panic (#76)
6. The Lego Movie (#6)
7. The Illusionist (#60)
8. Alice in Wonderland (#33)
10 Akira (#29)
12. Coraline (#36)
13. Animal Farm (#89)
15. Yellow Submarine (#62)
19. Watership Down (#75)
20. Waking Life (#41)
23. Sleeping Beauty (#54)
24. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (#42)
25. Hugo the Hippo (DNP)

Of my remaining eleven titles, there are nine features and two shorts. Of the nine, seven are surely going to show, one of them really should but may have tragically missed the cut, and the other I knew was a long shot but I like it a lot. Of the two shorts....I can't tell? They are pretty well universally beloved and well known, but I get the feeling not all that many of you voted for individual shorts. Haven't only a few made the countdown, so far? Doesn't bode well.

Shorts wise, not counting the TV specials like "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", there's only been the "Bolero/Evolution" segment of Allegro Non Troppo, Chuck Jones' iconic Duck Amuck, and the Russian Tale of Tales. That is it, right? And The Wrong Trousers, which I had on my list all the way at number four!

Not very confident about any shorts showing up in the top thirty. But Hopefully I'm wrong.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	akira.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	19367  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
8 of my picks have made the list, and there's still 10 that ought to make it, plus three or four which I hoped would but are now looking doubtful. Two more plus one short never really had a chance.

1. Rango
  2. ---
  3. Waking Life
  4. ---
  5. ---
  6. The Wrong Trousers
  7. Chicken Run
  8. Tale of Tales
  9. ---
  10. ---
  11. ---
  12. ---
  13. Duck Amuck
  14. Fantastic Planet
  15. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  16. ---
  17. ---
  18. ---
  19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  20. Alice in Wonderland
  21. ---
  22. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  23. ---
  24. Tarzan
  25. ---

I think that's my list so far.

Shorts wise, not counting the TV specials like "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", there's only been the "Bolero/Evolution" segment of Allegro Non Troppo, Chuck Jones' iconic Duck Amuck, and the Russian Tale of Tales. That is it, right? And none of those are in the top fifty.
The Wrong Trousers is a short also.

ETA: Just glanced at your ballot and you voted for it at number 4. It was #35 on the countdown.

28. Persepolis - Voting Stats

Total Points: 254
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
16 Votes: Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 4th Place (22 pts.), Two 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), Two 9th Place (17 pts. each), 12th Place (14 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

27. Wreck-It Ralph - Voting Stats

Total Points: 255
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
20 Votes: 4th Place (22 pts.), 5th Place (21 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each), Three 14th Place (12 pts. each), 15th Place (11 pts.), Three 17th Place (9 pts. each), Two 18th Place (8 pts. each), Two 20th Place (6 pts. each)