Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Just finished You're Next

It was what I expected but maybe not as good. The twist in the genre is nowhere as clever as Scream or Cabin in the Woods it was pretty decent. The occasional humor was a good addition to the film. It would have been better if the director and actors were more exprienced enough keep the pace throughly stable and the tension at best. Other than that, It wasn't a waste of time.

Even though I'm not participating, I've rented Cannibal from Netflix. It should arrive in the mail tomorrow, so I'll watch it then and post my thoughts in here.

I'm looking forward to it. I might even retrieve one of the corpses from my basement and fry up a little human flesh to have as a fitting movie snack.

Even though I'm not participating, I've rented Cannibal from Netflix. It should arrive in the mail tomorrow, so I'll watch it then and post my thoughts in here.

I'm looking forward to it. I might even retrieve one of the corpses from my basement and fry up a little human flesh to have as a fitting movie snack.
I ordered it too and will watch it Saturday. My nomination is on Netflix streaming, but I'm not sure if you'd like it.

Horror Hall of Fame
Hellbound:
Hellraiser II

— 1988 —

Quick thoughts on the original...
I think it was a bad idea to show Pinhead that clearly in the first couple of minutes of the movie, it really made him appear less intimidating right from the start. Also, I will also just come with something right from the beginning here: Pinhead felt like a cool character but honestly totally out of place in this story in my opinion. He just popped up once in a while and never felt entirely threatening, which was most likely because of bad scriptwriting and story build-up. The acting was fine, but the story was so incomplete that it felt like an entire novel desperately turned into a 1,5 hour picture. It never finished all of what it had started and appeared quite messy overall – even considering that it wasn’t exactly what you would call a big and wide-reaching movie. But I really liked the fun and pretty well done practical effects, and the idea of the blood bringing you back etc. Overall I just wasn’t impressed at all though…
2/5

Review of the sequel...
Okay, so this was actually a major surprise considering the fact that I was far from a fan of the first film. Actually, I kind of loved it as it went on and kept being interested in seeing what is next. I think they exploited the concept and characters a lot more in this, and also explored the actual idea of a connection between life and dead. I loved how it began right after the first, and it sort of reminded me of a Hellraiser-version of the quite successful Halloween II...

It seemed as if the director and writer wanted to use more time on creating an interesting follow-up, and because of all the flashbacks and connections to the original this could actually be seen on totally its own, which I really liked the thought of since I enjoyed it so much. But then, suddenly out of nowhere, it pretty much turned to **** from one second to the other. I don’t know what happened, it seemed as if another director took over, or maybe the director didn’t trust in the slow but tense atmosphere he had created, and instead went with campy effects, campy humour and totally insane decisions. What happened? But if I have to be honest, I even liked the movie as they entered Hell because of it feeling quite crazy but controlled. But around the time when the doctor turned inhuman - which was totally unnecessary in my opinion and Pinhead was once again a secondary character - that is when it just fell to the floor, and got worse and worse as time went by. The last half hour sort of reminded me of an extreme R-rated version of Poltergeist meets The Never-ending Story, and just came across as a fantasy family-orientated film – in its execution, not story or gory wise.

It is such a shame, because I actually really loved it up until then. It was self-aware and had a perfect balance of the horror elements and the more dramatic elements, and it was well-developed and very well shot as well. I love when the camera in a horror movie acts lively and sort of dwells in various corners and corridors throughout the film (sort what James Wan is doing today as well). It even had some impressive symmetry in its shots and the soundtrack was fittingly epic and godlike in its scale and sound. Typical, yes perhaps, but defiantly effective.

My rating of 3/5 may be a bit too much considering the fact that it is pretty much two different films together in one. But there was so much I liked, and I just don’t want to **** all over the film when it actually was quite great most of the time. I think we are talking about 1 hour and 15 minutes worth of a good horror film, and then about 25 minutes of campy stupidity…

-

Hellbound does go crazy and looney at the end with the Dr. Channard cenobite. He sort of turns into a Freddy Krueger-like character, making jokes and one-liners, that sort of thing. But I think it's all fabulous stuff for itself, especially in comparison to the other Hellraiser movies afterwards, which got soft. Thanks for your mostly positive review.

I am in the middle of watching the Dr. Phibes movie.

It's not going swimmingly. I don't downright hate it, but there's an hour left of the thing and I am already so over it.

It needs an interesting woman character. There are too many bland, boring male detectives in the lead. The only leading lady is this mute woman and she's a villain. It doesn't work. There needs to be an innocent female lead in horror films. Male detectives alone do not work.

Oh, look, Raul. Our birthday's on the flyer in the movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	flyer.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	19341  

No, not yet. I'm at 54 minutes. I pause it a lot.

The problem I have with this movie already is -- I don't know what all these doctors did to deserve death. I know apparently they caused Phibes' wife to die, but HOW???? I bet they all weren't responsible. He must be deluded.

And why does he really care about his dead wife when it appears he's already gone out and got himself a mute, violin playing bimbo? Can't he just be happy with her?

I'm at the scene with the rats. Wasn't it Miss Vicky who nominated this movie? Figures.

I have a feeling Sexy just doesn't like the classic oldie horror movies. Yes, a lot of them are goofy, but for a lot of people - myself included - they are wicked fun.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Like Sexy, i'm struggling to find some of these films, in particular Night Stalker and Cannibal but i'm sure i'll get sorted. Out of them all i'm really looking forward to watching The Haunting for the first time, excellent choice HK, i had a feeling you would choose either that or The Innocents.
Regards all the talk of You're Next, i think it could do better than expected. I have to rewatch it but i liked it the first time and i think i will like it even more the next. Like Cricket mentioned, it has a real disturbing element in it, which of course I totally dig. I'm also a complete sucker for home invasion movies so it'll definately get a thumbs up from me.

Great thread.
I can't find The Night Stalker anywhere and after so many of these HoF's I've gotten really good at it.

Has anyone found it anywhere? If it can't be found Neiba may have to replace it with another nomination.

You surely have to be done with Phibes now, right Sexy?
Uhhhh.... I have another half hour to go.