Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Unregistered User
Nice one Cricket, glad that you like it so much, i forgot to mention that i found it also had a bit of an arthouse feel, I can't really put my finger on way, maybe the open spaces? Did you catch any of that? Good call with the comparison of Antichrist, that never occurred to me even though i love it too.

Get watching Swan.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Abominable Dr. Phibes

A fairly decent horror. it had a fair sense of mystery to it which always helps me when I am watching a "horror" movie. The best thing about it was how Phibes got stronger as a character from the beginning to the end of the film. A lot of times in horrors you'll see them get weaker, but not in this one. His acid trap was downright cruel, but that surely was an interesting part to the film. I also liked how we got to see the man behind the "mask", so to speak. The end in itself was interesting, it saved the film for me. Vincent Price was pretty darn good as Anton Phibes and Joseph Cotten put in a decent performance as well. Not the best film in the world, but something that was at least worth the watch.

+

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yesterday people were curious about what Cannibal contained as far as graphic violence.
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
a long graphic castration scene and excessive violence and gore. Necrophilia

Every one has different sensibilities and I would never ask someone to watch something that pushes them past those. I don't think it compares to A Serbian Film, which I refuse to watch, but it's up to you to decide which movies push you past your own comfort zone.

I'm a pretty sensitive person, but after reading more about it, I think I can handle Cannibal with maybe one of two scenes fast forwarded through.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

A fairly decent horror. it had a fair sense of mystery to it which always helps me when I am watching a "horror" movie. The best thing about it was how Phibes got stronger as a character from the beginning to the end of the film. A lot of times in horrors you'll see them get weaker, but not in this one. His acid trap was downright cruel, but that surely was an interesting part to the film. I also liked how we got to see the man behind the "mask", so to speak. The end in itself was interesting, it saved the film for me. Vincent Price was pretty darn good as Anton Phibes and Joseph Cotten put in a decent performance as well. Not the best film in the world, but something that was at least worth the watch.

+
Did you like the look of the film Swan? I always think it's a bit kooky

Did you like the look of the film Swan? I always think it's a bit kooky
That was raul who wrote that. I would never give it that low a rating

I feel like I should have nominated something different, people don't seem to be liking Phibes a whole lot. I could have probably done better and picked something I think everyone would like and not just a flick from my childhood.

I will say though, I had like 20 horror films I wanted to nominate and had to narrow it down, which was a bitch to do.

Should have nominated Blood Feast or Alice, Sweet Alice or something.

I wanted to nominate Let's Scare Jessica to Death but I haven't seen that in a long time and have only seen it once.

There are many films I could have nominated... mostly foreign.. but I wanted to make people feel "uncomfortable"... something a bit shocking and over the top.. most of you here who really know me.... know I tend to be a bit "over the top" myself.. so why not?

I feel like I should have nominated something different, people don't seem to be liking Phibes a whole lot. I could have probably done better and picked something I think everyone would like and not just a flick from my childhood.
I liked it though, don't let the markf like rating fool you. I've been harsh on my ratings lately.

I think I will try and start watching today with Possession. I'm a bit busy so I might not get around to it, but if not I'll watch it tomorrow.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

I'm talking in general here and not you, Swan. I know you really like your nomination. One thing I always encourage is people to nominate films they are really behind, love and think should be inducted even if you don't think they are necessarily going to win. You don't really know how a group is going to react to a film and there is nothing better than getting a film that you truly love inducted. I just found that out.

Also it's a good idea to pick films you believe in so you can fight for them. Changing one person's mind about a movie just enough to place it two spots higher can be the difference in what movie gets inducted. Some of these races are that close. I don't fight for my films like I should.

That's a good way to look at it. I believe Phibes is a great contender to be inducted.

Horror Hall of Fame
YOU'RE
NEXT

— 2011 —

I have actually been looking forward to finally watch this film, mainly because I see the director, Adam Wingard, as a great newcomer to the horror genre and cinema in general, and I truly think he has potential to become a memorable moviemaker of this time. On one occasion, I watched the first 25 minutes or more of it, but it didn't entirely catch my attention and I thought I had better give it another go some time, when I felt more up for it. It would be a shame if my mood was what would end up ruining my experience with the film. Now, when it received a nomination in the Horror HoF there's no excuses or ways around it, and I’m happy to finally be able to see it. Unfortunately, I can't really say I left this film feeling satisfied in any way...

First off, it actually seems like it wasn’t me who was in the wrong mood back when I turned this off half an hour into the film. Right from the start it does a lazy job at getting our attention. The build up is quite poorly done and the characters introduced come across as totally uninteresting. First off we get the obligatory opening horror kill sequence, and there is really nothing new here. Then we slowly and monotony get introduced to the various characters, which pretty much all lack any kind of depth or development. But since this is a horror film I can forgive this area though, and perhaps they will change over time as the movie progresses…

When things start to go down, I instantly became annoyed with the characters, which just confirmed my observation even further. They were all simply yelling and screaming for an unbroken period of 10 minutes or so, and not in a frightened and well-acted kind of way, but just plain annoying screams and you couldn't separate one from the other. Obviously, there was the girl who ends up becoming the leading character, who was pretty much the only one with a sense of variation from the others. Not only were the characters annoying and one-sided, they acted completely stupid in a way you would never do and that pissed me off, especially combined with the many clichés. I hate it when suspense or terror is created purely out of the fact that the characters must be brainless to follow through with a plot point...

You're Next is filled with clichés as well, which didn't truly annoy me at first, since I know the director has a soft spot for doing homages to different genres and eras of cinema. But this just wasn't done in a respectful or inventive manner, or even lifted the movie to a higher level of originality or enjoyment. It just became utterly predictable, and you could simply just sit there and point out pretty much everything that would happen next (I really didn't know the title of the film referred to the many clichés of the horror genre... who would have thought?)

The humour in the film threw me off several times as well. In my book it is hard to balance humour and horror unless you go all the way to one side (like Shaun of the Dead or Tucker and Dale vs. Evil). For me it didn’t work at all, because I had no idea when to laugh and when not to. It felt like it tried to hard to be funny and it just came across as unprofessional and poorly directed instead.

When it comes to the soundtrack, it was a bit all over the place. Towards the end it slowly turned into this 80s synthetic sounding ballad, which reminded me of his recent film The Guest which I really enjoyed. I guess it was okay. At least better than the aggressive and repetitive soundtrack coming before it, which wasn't good in my opinion. The visuals were fine, the acting acceptable, but overall I had a hard time enjoying this because of all the stupidity, mistakes and mishaps to be found, which ended up completely over-shining the greater parts of the film.

I watched "May" already and now watching "Nightwatch".. glad to see some major Danish actors in it... even if Ulrich Thomsen has a small part...

You're Next

MovieMeditation talked about cliches, but I'm not sure that necessarily ruins the film for me. I like how we are introduced to the family and without reading a prior synopsis I was quite surprised at what all unfolded. There was no way I could have seen any of that coming, which I think is a big thumbs up for movies like this. Other movies that I have seen that are similar you kind of get a feel for what is happening, and that didn't happen with me.

The only draw off for me was the gore, but that is more of a personal thorn than a true negative. I thought Sharni Vinson was great, but I wonder on the true credibility of her being the strongest of that entire bunch.

I actually thought the soundtrack was pretty solid. It surely didn't ruin the viewing experience for me. Lots of tension in the film was stronger due to the music.

I'm really surprised at how predictable you thought everything was, Meditation. I mean, yes, we knew eventually the majority of the characters would die from these masked foes, but how and who they were caught me completely off guard. Maybe I'm just a newbie with horror and don't exactly have that horror instinct.

I thought it was well done anyways. Not a film I'll rush back to, but I might watch it during a future Halloween season.

+