The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I didn't vote for Perfect Blue but I really liked it. Paprika came closer to make my list though, out of non-Mayazaki animes.

Porco Rosso I didn't see and had no intention of seeing. But some day I probably will give it a watch!

I've only seen one of the last four films posted: Fantastic Planet

It's a well made film with beautiful artwork, but I found myself respecting it much more than I actually liked it, so it did not make my ballot.

Just a reminder, I'll post four more movies tomorrow morning and then two on Friday. That way all of you can nurse your hangovers without missing anything.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm really glad to see Porco Rosso make the top 50. I didn't vote for it because I saw it after submitted my ballot, but I thought it was good storytelling and visually awesome.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Perfect Blue is pretty much what we would have gotten if Igmar Bergman directed an anime. The comparisons with Persona are pretty easy to make, and yet it also feels so astoundingly unique despite that. It is an absolutely, shockingly brilliant piece of animation.

Porco Rosso is great, but suffers from the same things that Miyazaki's other works do for me. I prefer his less childish, more ambitious later works like Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. This is still a great film, and would probably make my own top 100 (low on the list), but is not really my exact cup of tea (same with My Neighbor Totoro).

Perfect Blue is pretty much what we would have gotten if Igmar Bergman directed an anime.
You serious? Have you ever seen an Igmar movie?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I also had Perfect Blue at 3rd place

I wished it could've made it higher, for me it was a fenomenal film, with a giant twist that I myself did not see coming, it was dark and beautiful, very confusing unless you focus on it, even while focused it manages to confuse you a few times.

It left me speechless, that's how much I liked it. Hence why it's on 3rd place for me.

It's one of the few films I look forward to re-watch.

Lord High Filmquisitor
You serious? Have you ever seen an Igmar movie?
Persona, Wild Srawberries and The Seventh Seal, so yes, I have.

And after watching those three movies you've concluded that Perfect Blue is something similar to what we would have gotten had Ingmar Bergman directed an animated film? It doesn't look anything like Bergman, animated or not.

Lord High Filmquisitor
And after watching those three movies you've concluded that Perfect Blue is something similar to what we would have gotten had Ingmar Bergman directed an animated film? It doesn't look anything like Bergman, animated or not.
I disagree, at least to an extent. The entire structure of the film - the indistinguishable interplay of fantasy and reality through the mental lense of a mentally defunct woman - is strikingly similar to Persona. in terms of content, Perfect Blue seems like a modern successor to Persona, which is more of what I meant to say (I'll admit that, in all likelihood, I didn't clearly convey my meaning with my initial comment). I do agree that it is stylistically disparate from Bergman.

To put it another way, Perfect Blue is to Persona as Hero is to Rashomon.

Dumbo is my favorite of the last 8. It's got 3 or 4 amazing scenes; not bad for an hour-long picture.

A Scanner Darkly and Porco Rosso come next, both are solid
s in my book.

Whisper of the Heart, Fantastic Planet and Perfect Blue are all good, but none was ever considered for my list.

Ghost in the Shell some striking images and music, and a mediocre story.

I disagree, at least to an extent. The entire structure of the film - the indistinguishable interplay of fantasy and reality through the mental lense of a mentally defunct woman - is strikingly similar to Persona. in terms of content, Perfect Blue seems like a modern successor to Persona, which is more of what I meant to say (I'll admit that, in all likelihood, I didn't clearly convey my meaning with my initial comment). I do agree that it is stylistically disparate from Bergman.

To put it another way, Perfect Blue is to Persona as Hero is to Rashomon.
Sure, some ideas are similar - I wouldn't say strikingly, though. This "interplay of fantasy and reality through the mental lens..." has been done before and after Persona so I still don't see why it was singled out. Unless of course the Bergman comparison, like you initially posted, which doesn't make sense either in terms of theme or style as Persona is considered more or less unique among his filmography.

Unfortunately i didn't get around to Perfect Blue, it's a shame for two reasons, firstly because i loved Paprika which barely missed my list and because i wanted to read Bluelions review of it.

Not really a fan of Porco Rosso, it's the weakest Miyazki i've seen but i still have four left.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Whew. I was getting worried about Perfect Blue. I had it low on my list (#23) because I thought I was sure it would make it, but was starting to think maybe I was wrong.