The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Dumbo - I found this really upsetting as a child and have not watched it since. All the images and gifs are making me think I should give it another watch, though.

Bambi - Far too cutesy and saccharine in its depiction of forest creatures, not a favourite.

Simpsons Movie - It was okay but a bit disappointing. Spider pig was genius though. I still sing that.

Chicken Run - pretty good, but didn't make my list.

I like Dumbo and Bambi a lot, especially the first, but neither of them made my list.

I almost voted for The Simpsons Movie but again it just missed out, I like it a lot. I haven't watched loads of episodes, but I thought thefilm was really funny, although I am not sure why everyone is obsessed with the pig.

Chicken Run was my #7, a great movie that I have enjoyed since I was young. I like escape movies that focus on the planning and such, and I love how this film is constructed in a fun and thrilling away. Great voice performances and villains, and wonderfully brought to life through stop motion, I might write more some time.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I had Dumbo at number #6 on my list. Dumbo is Disney at its best and too bad this gem wasn't higher. The emotion of Dumbo is so raw I'm not sure how I survived it as a kid. It is countered with a lot of sweet and funny moments too which keeps it from being the emotional drag of something like the Plague Dogs.

Bambi does not hold up for me as an adult. It's something I would watch with my kid I had one, but as much as I have love for the characters I only want to watch them in bits and pieces.

Dumbo is a wonderful film, my number 18. I must've been taken to the pictures to watch it when I was about 3 or 4 as we never had a tv till we moved out of my nans house a few years later, and anyway Disney films wouldn't have been on tv then. I clearly remember being upset when Dumbo's mum was taken away, and being awestruck at the psychedelic pink elephants scene. I doubt if that would've been made now!

I didn't have Bambi on my list although I would watch it if I came across it on tv. I think even children recognise it veers into slightly too sweet territory.

I like Chicken Run. although I prefer the older Wallace and Gromits

I also liked the Simpsons film although not enough to put it on my list

48. Ghost in the Shell - Voting Stats

Total Points: 135
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Dumbo but its first place vote put it higher on the countdown.
10 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 2nd Place (24 pts.), Two 10th Place (16 pts. each), 11th Place (15 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.)

47. A Scanner Darkly - Voting Stats

Total Points: 136
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
10 Votes: Two 5th Place (21 pts. each), 7th Place (19 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), Two 15th Place (11 pts. each), 21st Place (5 pts.), 22nd Place (4 pts.)

A Scanner Darkly... totally wasn't expecting that to make it

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th

I was expecting Linklater's other rotoscope project, Waking Life, to make it, but I thought A Scanner Darkly would fall out of the list...

Personally I prefer Waking Life over A Scanner Darkly but cool to see it make the list. As for Ghost in the Shell I never got around to it.

Ghost In The Shell was on my watch list. Even got the DVD from Netflix and had it ready to go. I just ran out of steam, I have watched a good bit of anime this year. My list was in good shape so I skipped it.

A Scanner Darkly was my #22. I hadn't watched it since it was released so I rewatched it before submitting my list. Despite its dark themes it is a surprisingly fun movie in a lot of ways. Good characters and visuals, and of course the script is top notch. Glad it made the list.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I liked GitS well enough but not enough to vote for it. Never seen Scanner Darkly though. Now that we're in the top 50 I'm starting worry that Children Who Chase Lost Voices isn't going to make the cut.