Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Maps to the Stars (2014)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Goodbye Charlie (1964)

Goodbye Charlie is a comedy starring Debbie Reynolds as Charlie, a womanizer who is shot and killed by an angry husband, and is reincarnated as a woman, and Tony Curtis as George, his best friend. Walter Matthau has a supporting role as the man who shot and killed Charlie, and Pat Boone plays the man who helps Charlie when he sees her as a dazed and confused woman.

This is a fun movie, but it's not a rolling-on-the-floor type of comedy. There are some chuckles here and there, but both Debbie Reynolds and Tony Curtis have made better movies. And I thought Walter Matthau was kind of a strange choice for his role, but he does a good job.

It's worth seeing if you like Debbie Reynolds and Tony Curtis, and if you're just looking for a fun movie, but don't set your expectations too high.

Up in Smoke (1978)

Sadly not all that funny when you're not high :/

I have watched this movie many times and was not once high!

It works best if you see it as a group though I would say. And I guess you gotta love the "stoner humor" to some extent.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's hit and miss, but there are a few home runs. For instance... (warning for drugs and language, of course)

Earth to Echo (2014)

I went in on this expecting it to be bad. From what I'd gathered from the trailer this would be a mixture of E.T. and Super 8. I didn't like either (that's right, I'm the only person on the face of this planet who didn't like E.T.).

Well, it is exactly that but... it's not bad. In fact, I would go as far as to call the movie heartwarming. The relationships between the boys are vivid, the story, while totally ripped off, is actually decent and the special effects were kept fairly minimalistic which works to the movie's advantage because if they went any further with the CGI it would become the poor man's Transformers.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised and I have to say; this is what the original E.T. should have been like.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Die Hard III: Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995)

Is there any better Christmas movie than Die Hard? This one is as good, if not better, than the first one! Samuel L. Jackson is an amazing addition to the cast, especially because he brings a little bit of Pulp Fiction's Jules that fits perfectly in this! 100% entertaining action, insanely quotable and with some really epic moments!

It's hit and miss, but there are a few home runs. For instance... (warning for drugs and language, of course)
Thanks for posting mark, now I totally want to throw it on man!

For me that's pure comedy gold right there. Too bad the video cuts, the scene with the cop is great as well! Up In Smoke is defiantly their best film.

Why so much hate on this movie ? Yes, it's a feel-good film, but it's a good one in my books.

Interesting time-capsule movie, but the story and the characters did little on me. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm 19.

Master of My Domain

Sharp satire and darkly hilarious, though sometimes it wasn't my cup of tea.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Sling Blade (1996, Billy Bob Thornton)

This is one of my very favourite films, and it was in need for another viewing. Yet again I find myself appreciating this work for the beautiful, haunting, tragic, and poignant masterpiece that it is. What particularly impresses me most is Thornton's remarkably restraint, careful and sensitive direction. This film adopts an observant sensibility, consisting of many long, simple takes (the composition is brilliant), and never getting too excessive or confrontational with its framing and photography. The film, especially from an editorial standpoint, never sporadically and frequently cut like so many films often do, even during the most pivotal of moments. The climax of the film, if you will, is all done in one masterful take, as are many other salient moments. Some may call this particular approach to storytelling too distant, others inert and uncinematic, but to me, it's a testament to Thornton's appreciation for story and pacing, never allowing the dramatic components of the story dictating the flow of it. And when the camera does move, it's slow and subtle. And when it does cut, it feels seamless and right, which is precisely the purpose of good editing. It reminded me of an Ozu film in many ways, with Thornton exhibiting some impressive dexterity behind the camera. It's simply an excellent film, with Thornton being at his very best as an actor, screenwriter and director. One of the great slices of Southern Gothic storytelling, and a beautifully real and human work.

Yeah, I agree, the film nails a dreary mood and never falls into being a cinematic melodrama.

Marnie (1964)

I read some comments on the Internet about this movie being a disappointment after so many Hitchcock's classics! Well, I can't understand that because I enjoyed this so much more than Psycho and Rear Window! It has incredible cinematography, great acting (Sean Connery's 007 fits here perfectly) and the building up till the end is amazing! One of Hitchcock's finest, in my opinion!

Finished here. It's been fun.

Cobra Verde

Severely underrated effort, especially considering the fact that this is the final collaboration between Herzog and Kinski.Highly entertaining, beautifully shot, and there are some moments of striking beauty. The narrative however is the film's main shortcoming, as it simply lacks depth.

City of Women

Indulgent and overly long, somewhat messy effort from late-career fellini. It is not one of his best efforts, but there are a few striking sequences. The film from a visual standpoint is magnificent, it's in the messy,unfocused narrative where it loses it's way.

Wish everyone here a happy holiday.

Marnie (1964)

I read some comments on the Internet about this movie being a disappointment after so many Hitchcock's classics! Well, I can't understand that because I enjoyed this so much more than Psycho and Rear Window! It has incredible cinematography, great acting (Sean Connery's 007 fits here perfectly) and the building up till the end is amazing! One of Hitchcock's finest, in my opinion!

I've not seen Marnie but I think you need to watch these films again!

When the Wind Blows (1986) -

Extremely powerful film. I was shocked by it in it's rather British comedic approach to the absurdity of nuclear holocaust with the husband Jones playing the part of a little boy all enthusiastic about the war. Has some interesting visual experimentation as well.

I've not seen Marnie but I think you need to watch these films again!
Ahahah! Vertigo is still my favourite, by far! I'm not so excited about Hitchcock's movies like most of people here, don't know why!

Suna no onna a.k.a. Woman in the Dunes (1964)

I think this will need a rewatch some time soon, because I was expecting to connect a lot more with this movie!
Still, the concept is fascinating and the photography is amazing! There are some really great moments but it could be better if it had one hour less!
Also, the ending is very good!

7/10