Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Tini zabutykh predkiv a.k.a. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (1964)

I feel that this movie spoke to a very deep part of myself. The music, the colours, the camera work, the setting, the constant Ukranian folk references, everything is fascinating in a very special way!
The story gets a bit messy at some point but the emotions are all there, in a very weirdly attractive manner!
In sum, a mind blowing masterpiece!

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

One of the best, if not the best, high school comedy classics!

Still relevant, entertaining, and hilarious 32 years on.

The Experts (1989)

John Travolta's slump years (his dwindling career between the early 80's and 1994, minus Blow Out and the Look Who's Talking movies- okay, maybe just the first one) may have produced one particular movie that I'd like to hail a cult comedy classic.

I'm sure not too many people have seen or even heard of The Experts, and I can honestly say they (meaning you) might have missed out on a film that was quite funny and entertaining, even though lacking in character development, and featured the always sexy Kelly Preston (Travolta and Preston met on the set and would later get married).

The movie takes a jab at the Cold War, which at the time of release was nearing its end, so if you're into films about that specific topic, you'd might want to check it out and enjoy a few laughs.

Rocky (1976)
Overrated. But despite its slow build-up, it has intense enough of a fight at the end to satisfy.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

Rocky (1976)
Overrated. But despite its slow build-up, it has intense enough of a fight at the end to satisfy.
Your wrong, but new, so I will still rep you.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Gone Girl (2014)

David Fincher does it again! For those who say that Nolan makes unpredictable movies, this is what unpredictable looks like! He manages to be always one step ahead, while creating an amazing atmosphere with the soundtrack, the pacing, the camera angles and the settings - everything perfectly used. A truly gifted director and this movie would be even better if it was not for Ben Affleck (sorry, I can't like this guy).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Candidate (Ritchie, 1972) - 6/10 - A good political movie. I guess with these types of films, nothing really surprises you, but I like when certain truths come out. Watching political movies from many years ago and until today shows me how to the right this country has gone... If flip-flipped, Obama would be a Republican, and Ike would have been a Democrat.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tokyo Story (Ozu) - 8/10 - Loved it. Sentimental. And there were a lot of parts of the movie that weren't saying much, nodding, one word questions and answers, but it has warmth, even from her smiles. Me and Citizen were talking about what we learn from film outside of the film itself... For example, I notice in Japanese movies there is no or very little touching, mostly bowing. This film is 61 years old, and the elders are saying how it's a different world, how their kids have changed. I also notice a lot of Japanese films where parents are seen as burdens, but in private.

The only thing I kinda feel bad is that I was listening to a series of Orson-Bogdanovich interviews, and Orson says how McCarey wins the award for Best Picture, and as he collects his Oscar, he says "For the wrong movie," and Orson mentions how "Make Way For Tomorrow" was such a great picture, and how he cries every time. And now I read that "Tokyo Story" was inspired by "Make Way For Tomorrow" -- I only watched Tokyo Story because it's been sitting around, and I kept delaying it for other movies for whatever reasons.

Anyone have a preference?

Gone Girl // 2014 // rewatch

David Fincher is back and continues his intelligent and razor sharp ramble down through the sinister and seductive thriller universe ... 'Gone Girl' is a date movie that has had its very heart turned inside out and brutally beaten beyond recognition...

CLICK HERE TO READ MY FULL REVIEW

Apart from rewatching Gone Girl and working through the night to complete my english version of my review of the film, I've also watched the critically praised,
Ida // 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect going into this. On one hand my expectations were sky high, but still I couldn't help but to see this film as being a bit too simplistic and artistic for my style. God, was I wrong...

The first thing I noticed was just how beautifully filmed it was, every single frame was composed and aligned to perfection. I could pause the movie every minute if I wanted to admire the images created in themselves. But I never paused it. The movie surprised me by evolving constantly and interestingly throughout and it just kept getting better. It's a small film, but so powerful, so beautiful, so tragic.

The ending is absolute perfection with fitting music as well, though I must say Trier's very unusual use of the same song in his 'Nymphomaniac', that is Bach's beautifully composed "Ich Ruf Zu Dir Herr Jesu Christ", kind of threw me off for a second when it started playing in this way more 'sensitive' film. Sort of what A Clockwork did to Singin' in the Rain, if you know what I mean lol. Anyways, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful film.

... you mad at me you can take half a popcorn, but I really do feel like it's that great.

Had a great potential, but the film was way too short to be what it tried to be.
+

Okay Slob gave X-Men 2 five stars, and Mojofilter gave Fast Times five stars.

Now I have seen both of these movies so I'm thinking...

How the *bleep* are these masterpieces?

Okay Slob gave X-Men 2 five stars, and Mojofilter gave Fast Times five stars.

Now I have seen both of these movies so I'm thinking...

How the *bleep* are these masterpieces?
Okay, I get it. You have a different opinion of Fast Times than I, but that is your bleeping problem and none of my business.

Sorry, I was intending that in a humorous way. Personally I've only ever given 5 stars to 1 movie. So it's not so much about Fast Times as it is about 5 stars. But Fast Times is a hilarious movie which I did enjoy and do own on VHS.

Edit: It's not just a funny movie either, it's a really solid movie overall with good serious moments and good acting too. It's just not a contender for greatest movie of all time, which is what I would reserve 5 stars for personally.

Sorry, I was intending that in a humorous way. Personally I've only ever given 5 stars to 1 movie. So it's not so much about Fast Times as it is about 5 stars. But Fast Times is a hilarious movie which I did enjoy and do own on VHS.

Edit: It's not just a funny movie either, it's a really solid movie overall with good serious moments and good acting too. It's just not a contender for greatest movie of all time, which is what I would reserve 5 stars for personally.
No need for an apology. I was just being humorous with you, though it may have sounded angry (I think people who argue and fight on message boards are "keyboard warriors" and seriously need to consider "getting a life")

As a high school comedy genre film, Fast Times goes above and beyond. It's got the laughs, memorable performances and quotes, and a brilliant plot, or sub-plots, that keeps the viewer engaged and entertained. For that, I gave it five stars.